Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ulster Bank League 2017-2018 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Ye I know a couple of people getting that and a few more offered it.

So the world and his mother knows that Malahide are playing guys to play but the IRFU obviously don't care despite saying they do. Do we just accept that it is the way it's going to be? Or will Malahide be another Co Carlow? Are there many Malahide guys playing with them? Guys who played minis/youths?
    If the IRFU were serious about doing something they'd ask the Revenue to audit a few players. didn't the SRU say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

shaungil wrote:
    So the world and his mother knows that Malahide are playing guys to play but the IRFU obviously don't care despite saying they do. Do we just accept that it is the way it's going to be? Or will Malahide be another Co Carlow? Are there many Malahide guys playing with them? Guys who played minis/youths? If the IRFU were serious about doing something they'd ask the Revenue to audit a few players. didn't the SRU say this?
    the world and his mother know several other clubs are also paying guys and yes league committee should come down hard but if they don't it doesn't mean we just accept it's the way things are going to be. Not many may have played minis/youths with malahide but that's the case with a lot of city clubs. Irfu are serious but probably don't want to get revenue involved as that opens a whole can of worms that could affect a lot of things just like GAA and paying Refs and others...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Stainalert

shaungil wrote: »
    So the world and his mother knows that Malahide are playing guys to play but the IRFU obviously don't care despite saying they do. Do we just accept that it is the way it's going to be? Or will Malahide be another Co Carlow? Are there many Malahide guys playing with them? Guys who played minis/youths?
    If the IRFU were serious about doing something they'd ask the Revenue to audit a few players. didn't the SRU say this?

From what I have been told the IRFU are struggling to find evidence and the union having initially promised financial resources to throw at investigations have withdrawn the funds. It's not very hard really to figure out who is and isn't throwing money about if you are half clued in and are interested. Proving it legally is a bit harder.

the world and his mother know several other clubs are also paying guys and yes league committee should come down hard but if they don't it doesn't mean we just accept it's the way things are going to be. Not many may have played minis/youths with malahide but that's the case with a lot of city clubs. Irfu are serious but probably don't want to get revenue involved as that opens a whole can of worms that could affect a lot of things just like GAA and paying Refs and others...

Malahide pitch themselves as a "community" club

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

shaungil wrote: »
    John Shine is with them former Shannon player

• Advertisement

1A
    Clontarf v St Marys  (Friday)
    Garryowen v Buccaneers
    Lansdowne v Young Munster
    Terenure v Cork Con
    UCD v Trinity

1B
    Ballymena v Dolphin
    Ballynahinch v Old Wesley
    Naas v UL Bohemians
    Banbridge v UCC
    Shannon v Old Belvedere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

And the division 2 fixtures
    2A
    Blackrock v Cashel
    Galwegians v Armagh
    Greystones v Corinthians
    Malone v Highfield
    Queens University v Nenagh

2B
    Skerries v Wanderers
    City of Derry v Belfast Harlequins
    Navan v Rainey Old Boys
    Old Crescent v MU Barnhall
    Sundays Well v Dungannon

2C
    Omagh v Midleton
    Seapoint v Bangor
    Sligo v Malahide
    Tullamore v Thomond
    Bective v Bruff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

There are still a large amount of local or certainly long standing Malahide players involved in the first team this season.

Malahide has a large catchment area. It probably has a population of around 18,000 now and the closest senior clubs are Clontarf and Skerries. There are a number of Malahide members and ex residents living in Swords, Portmarnock, Kinsealy and Donabate and north county Dublin so the catchment is quite large.

Malahide arent doing anything different to what many other ambitious senior clubs have done. Mike Ross and Mal before him are just very high profile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

1A
    Clontarf v St Marys -> Clontarf
    Garryowen v Buccaneers -> Garryowen
    Lansdowne v Young Munster -> Lansdowne
    Terenure v Cork Con - Cork Con
    UCD v Trinity -> UCD

Lots of sevens squad players getting pulled this weekend from what I hear

• Advertisement

Stainalert wrote: »

I hear the complaining already..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

1B
    Ballymena v Dolphin - Hard to see anything except a home win here.
    Ballynahinch v Old Wesley - Fancy 'Wes for this, although could be tight.
    Naas v UL Bohemians - Really close call. Depends on if / how well the Naas pack dominate. These two have had some ding dong battles before but home side might nudge it.
    Banbridge v UCC - A long road to travel for the students. Home win.
    Shannon v Old Belvedere - Shannon of old at home would have been unbeatable by a "load of Dubs", but OB could squeeze a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Stainalert wrote: »
    Looks like the Leinster League was just a little joke to make us think we might be seen as important again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I dunno if they brought in other players but FWIW Malahide had a bonus point wrapped up before half time and long before Ross came onto the field (he didn't start the game).

I dunno if they brought in other players but FWIW Malahide had a bonus point wrapped up before half time and long before Ross came onto the field (he didn't start the game).
    I'd imagine they brought in a few but they had a side good enough last year. I for one have no issue with what they're doing. As long as they can afford it and aren't taking on ridiculous debt. Would be nice to be in a position where it didn't have to be all so murky and almost viewed as evil in some way.

I'd imagine they brought in a few but they had a side good enough last year. I for one have no issue with what they're doing. As long as they can afford it and aren't taking on ridiculous debt. Would be nice to be in a position where it didn't have to be all so murky and almost viewed as evil in some way.

Dunno anything about their finances but they got a lovely big clubhouse and two pitches for free back in the boom in a land-swap deal, certainly can't have hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Toga Stroll

But sure their team last year was full of players from all over too. Very few local players still there if any. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

But sure their team last year was full of players from all over too. Very few local players still there if any. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Where are they coming from though? Are they lads who grew up in Malahide, maybe went to Belvo or whatever, and have moved out (as would be common in a suburb where housing is extraordinarily expensive)? Are they guys from basically anywhere between Clontarf and Skerries, which are the nearest clubs to the south and north of Malahide?

That's not true.

Where are they coming from though? Are they lads who grew up in Malahide, maybe went to Belvo or whatever, and have moved out (as would be common in a suburb where housing is extraordinarily expensive)? Are they guys from basically anywhere between Clontarf and Skerries, which are the nearest clubs to the south and north of Malahide?

No just paid recruits from belvo, skerries, blackrock etc and even junior teams like Dundalk. Wouldn't be a club with a big underage setup to bring players through and then recruit them back.

• Advertisement

Winters wrote: »
    That's not true.

So they've been promoted what, three years in a row running away with each league with the same team of homegrown players? Could have sworn Keane was from skerries

So they've been promoted what, three years in a row running away with each league with the same team of homegrown players? Could have sworn Keane was from skerries

He used to play for Old Belvedere. Maybe he lives in Malahide?

Very few local players still there if any

Yes Conal Keane came from Skerries RFC. That's one.

Two props new, scrum half from Clontarf, flanker from Dundalk, fullback and centre Belvo, flanker and number 8 also to name a few

Two props new, scrum half from Clontarf, flanker from Dundalk, fullback and centre Belvo, flanker and number 8 also to name a few
    Marcus played in Malahide (I presume this is the OB centre?) as a youth growing up as far as I know. Ciaran Clifford is Malahide, I believe Daragh Sweeney started there before going to Tarf. Don't really know enough of the rest that I can think of but saying they have none is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Rory Kavanagh is Michaels and UCD then Belvo, hard to see where the link is there.

Rory Kavanagh is Michaels and UCD then Belvo, hard to see where the link is there.
    Dave Nolan & Joe Moran both Connacht

Dave Nolan & Joe Moran both Connacht

They aren't the only ones so i'm not sure why all the outrage/complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 young munster man

First time poster here was at ucd v munsters , well done to ucd and congratulations to them

we took lead early on with try from driving maul, they came back with excellent try and finished half better side 13-7 up, we got a try back again from driving maul and were 15-13 up 18mins into second half when after backline move they kicked through as their winger was about to score our winger impedes him so ref correctly give pen try and card in the yellow card period they scored a further three tries. We got try back(our third) from a maul and destroyed the scrum in last few mins. Ourreward for getting 2 props binned was bloody uncontested scrums,aagh, then in last min our centre ben swindlehurst was brilliantly tackled over the line to stop us getting a point.

better team won but really annoying not to have got the point,

Problem now is wehave lansdowne next where we usually get well beat. We will do verywell to get a point off it but for now we are looking at the wrong end of the table. But look ill go up and support the ladsand see how we go. No offence to lansdowne (they are a great club) but i dont like the ground the padding on the fencing while necessary is a bugger when you have kids at the game with you. Hopefully munsters will get a good performance like we did last year

also shane oleary gone to ealing (frustrating for us but great opportunity for him so i hope it goes well) , the excellent alan tynan injured as well

Advertisement