Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiet Room

• 04-05-2017 10:27pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not looking to comment on a particular school and the article in the paper at the weekend.

I'm familiar with sensory rooms, which seem to work quite well for. many children

I am wondering is it usual for a school with an ASD unit to have such a "quiet" room, which is completely bare and unfurnished, for children , if they have a meltdown?Would a sensory room be better, or in certain cases would the "quiet room" be a necessity?

Again, I'm stressing, I am not seeking to discuss a particular school/case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

I could see how this could be of benefit. A lot of asd children when having a meltdown would be over stimulated and a "quiet" room would allow them to calm down without adding stimulation. Also no furniture etc would mean less things to potentially injure themselves on. When in full meltdown lashing out the child might damage themselves or expensive equipment in a sensory room.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement