Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

ZV or year?

• 25-04-2017 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ gfwd

Afternoon, a quick question for you knowledgeable folk...

I'm just about to re-reg my 68 classic. In the past I've mostly gone for 68 D or whatever but now that they're a ridiculous 9 digits I'm thinking of going the ZV route. Anyone have any idea how many digits the ZV plates are at now? (I'm in Dublin btw). I'm assuming it's at 7 digits?? Do they tell you what they're at before you hand over your 200 quid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭ _Brian

It's a personal thing really but irrespective of the number of digits I like the ZV plates.

For me the year plates are for 86 onwards vehicles only, and to this day I hate them, they promote such plate snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,691 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash

_Brian wrote: »
    ...For me the year plates are for 86 onwards...
    '87 onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭ _Brian

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera

gfwd wrote: »
    Afternoon, a quick question for you knowledgeable folk...

I'm just about to re-reg my 68 classic. In the past I've mostly gone for 68 D or whatever but now that they're a ridiculous 9 digits I'm thinking of going the ZV route. Anyone have any idea how many digits the ZV plates are at now? (I'm in Dublin btw). I'm assuming it's at 7 digits?? Do they tell you what they're at before you hand over your 200 quid?

Dublin ZV plates are currently in the 'ZV 11000' range.

Would look much much better than '68-D-120000' imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭ mossy50

ZV all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ gfwd

Thanks all for your input. I went for ZV in the end. I'm not a fan of either but 7 digits is better than 9. ZV 11090!

The ridiculous part of the process was that they wouldn't give me a number on the day. It had to be referred back to Revenue before they could give me the cost (even though we all knew it would be 200). I had to go back 2 days later and wait for an hour to get the job done. Pointless waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera

Good choice. Interestingly your reg isnt listed on cartell.ie as yet.
    Latest is ZV 11085...they must input a batch of plates in one go..perhaps that explains your delay.

Having said that I was also 'delayed' when I went for a Year plate last year (soon to be changed to a ZV plate!) ..if the car isn't on their system, you have to call back to receive the reg number.

As a matter of interest, what day did you have the car inspected and what day did you actually get the reg number?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ gfwd

I had the car inspected on the Sunday and got the call on the Monday to say it would be €200. Went up on Wednesday night at 7 to finalise everything. There was just one person ahead of me in the queue but I was waiting for 50 minutes. Left just after 8.

They seem to be just out the door at the moment. Sunday morning is a good time for inspections I reckon, it's much quieter. They intimated that the reason for not getting my number there and then was the fact the car is a 2 litre.

Advertisement