Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinkstore prices

• 20-04-2017 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭

I had never been in the famous Drinkstore until I found myself in the area today.

Now, I'm not going to complain about the prices they charge because I don't know what they charge for anything I picked up. No prices on the shelf or bottles.

I asked about this and was told that they don't put prices on beers and that I could ask. He then went on to say that if this was a problem for me that it wasn't the shop for me. I was then, rather patronisingly, told that there was a supermarket up the road.

I left empty handed.

Is it just me, or is this a crazy business model?
    Would anyone else refuse to shop in a store that doesn't display prices?
    Is this even legal?

My first trip to Drinkstore was a bit of a letdown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Go back, and try that technique, they've only themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Ive been going there for years and never noticed this. Prices are on the website for what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Just keep going up and asking how much a particular bottle is. Then look disappointed and place it back on the shelf. Repeat ad nauseum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Passenger wrote: »
    Just keep going up and asking how much a particular bottle is. Then look disappointed and place it back on the shelf. Repeat ad nauseum.

This is exactly why I want the bottles priced.
    You outlined the alternative above.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

never been.
    but if I was in there, I'd probably leave empty handed as well, unless I went for something specific and had checked web site for price first.
    The prices for some craft beers can vary dramatically, so I like to know what I'm spending before I get to the til.
    (also i've had a number cases whereby what I think I'm going to spend doesn't match what I'm being asked for, and when asking the assistant to check again, they notice a "mistake" on their side)
    So, sounds like drinkstore is not the shop for me either... Pity, I will be heading to Dublin in a month or so, and was planning on heading there, but plenty more offies doing craft and displaying prices on shelves who I'm sure would be happy to take my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I've been in once, about a year and a half ago. I had just gotten my Beoir card and wanted to give it a spin as I knew they gave a discount. On gathering together a large stash of beer, I had included one German Beer in my selection. When I went to pay I very snarkily informed that the Beoir discount is only applicable for Irish beer. Absolutely no issues and obviously makes sense, but a simple 'sorry fella' would have done the job. He couldn't have tried harder to make me look a knob.

Luckily for all of us out that direction, Fresh at Smithfield Square has in my opinion, a wider and much better value selection of craft beer to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

I've been in once, about a year and a half ago. I had just gotten my Beoir card and wanted to give it a spin as I knew they gave a discount. On gathering together a large stash of beer, I had included one German Beer in my selection. When I went to pay I very snarkily informed that the Beoir discount is only applicable for Irish beer. Absolutely no issues and obviously makes sense, but a simple 'sorry fella' would have done the job. He couldn't have tried harder to make me look a knob.

Luckily for all of us out that direction, Fresh at Smithfield Square has in my opinion, a wider and much better value selection of craft beer to choose from.

Fresh gets a bit of custom from myself too. Everything labeled, neat, organised and competitively priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Been a while but from memory I think there were two brothers running it, one good one probably the fella encountered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It is incredibly difficult to put a value on beer by just looking at bottle labels. A 500ml bottle could be e2 or e20 (sometimes even harder to put a value on them when drinking them!). I'd be very put-off by not having pricing visible. I've had nothing but good experiences with Drinkstore when ordering from their website, but have had little reason to order in the flesh. I think I'll continue to order form their website and stick to my local establishments for browsing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was looking at the website last night, for the first time in ages.

It seems the variety of what they stock is way down from what it was like a couple of years back.

For example, the New Zealand, France and Iceland sections are empty, Mexico only has Corona, Japan only has Asahi, and the UK section is down to 37 products when I'm sure it used to be well over 100.

Are the shops better stocked than the website would suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I used to go in there quite regularly.
    A few things changed.

1. My local supervalu went from carrying a few bottles of erdinger, to around 200 different bottles of craft beer. Mainly Irish, but a good selection of brewdog, founders, Sierra Nevada, To Ol etc.

2. A number of times the staff weren't friendly. Not rude either, but I felt like I was hassle. Like I was creating trouble by coming in, looking to spend 80 Euro on 10 or 12 bottles of beer.

3. They're 30 minutes drive away, compared to supervalu which is 5 minutes.

4. Stock. I'd go in for the special sought after beers to find they'd have none. I'd have drove for half an hour to find that what I wanted wasn't in stock. Look every business runs out of things all the time, but to be repeatedly out of stock just isn't on. You improve your stock control.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Your man in there is a psychopath, after a few similar experiences to people in this thread I don't bother giving them my business anymore. Fresh in Smithfield is way better anyway, drinkstore have gone down hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Don't go there much as it's not local but I've always found the guy there friendly and the lack of displayed prices wouldn't overly bother me.

Only minor gripe would be a few times I've went in it looks like they've started stacking a load of stuff on the shelves and just forgotten about it :D

An File wrote: »
    I was looking at the website last night, for the first time in ages.

It seems the variety of what they stock is way down from what it was like a couple of years back.

For example, the New Zealand, France and Iceland sections are empty, Mexico only has Corona, Japan only has Asahi, and the UK section is down to 37 products when I'm sure it used to be well over 100.

Seriously, who'd bother going to Drinkstore for French, Icelandic, Mexican or Japanese beers? I'm sure they weren't selling so why keep stocking them. Not something to berate them for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Seriously, who'd bother going to Drinkstore for French, Icelandic, Mexican of Japanese beers? I'm sure they weren't selling so why keep stocking them. Not something to berate them for.

You'd think they might streamline the website to remove the obsolete options though. It's just not very efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is this even legal?

It is not clear to me, it came up in consumer issues just yesterday. People asking how high price boutiques and jewellers can get away with no prices.

This site suggests it is required, and there is a contact email to report shops who don't
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/pricing-rules
    Shops and service providers must display their prices, and there are rules on how they must be displayed. You have the right to clear and accurate information on the prices of goods and services so that you can compare prices and make informed choices...

If you find goods on sale with no price displayed or with the wrong price displayed, you should tell the seller and also contact us.

however this was my post about the boutiques etc.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html
    Retail outlets
    The purpose of the EC (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002 is to enable consumer to see the price of the product before buying and to make price comparisons. The price of products on sale in shops and supermarkets may be attached to the items themselves. Alternatively they may be displayed on a label on the edge of the shelf. Generally, shelf labels are used to display prices in supermarkets since barcodes have becomes more popular. Under the EC (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002, retailers must show the correct selling price in euro including taxes. Unit prices for products sold by weight volume or measure must also be clearly displayed. More detailed information on pricing of goods and services is available here. The Regulations provide for certain exemptions from unit pricing such as items which are equal or less than 50 ml or 50 grams. The Regulations also extend to online shopping. Services are not covered by the Product Pricing Regulations.

The Prices and Charges (Tax-Inclusive Statements) Order, 1973 requires that all prices marked on goods or prices displayed or quoted at the retail level and all charges for services displayed or quoted should be tax-inclusive (e.g. VAT) except where it is intended solely for a business customer.
    Reading that, and on other consumer sites I always thought it did have to be displayed. But notice the word "quoted", the law then talks of "stated orally".

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1973/si/9/made/en/print
    3. Where, for the purposes of or in connection with the sale by retail by a person of a commodity, the retail price of the commodity is stated orally by the person or by a servant or agent of the person or is stated on the commodity or on any container or wrapper in which the commodity is packed or on a ticket or label attached to the commodity or to such container or wrapper or in a catalogue or advertisement or in a notice or other document (other than an invoice), the price so stated shall be stated as a single amount inclusive of any charge made by the person for any tax payable in respect of the commodity.

4. Where, for the purposes of or in connection with the rendering of a service by a person, the charge for the service is stated orally by the person or by a servant or agent of the person or is stated in any catalogue or advertisement or in a notice or other document (other than an invoice), the charge so stated shall be stated as a single amount inclusive of any charge made by the person for any tax payable in respect of the service.

You'd think they might streamline the website to remove the obsolete options though. It's just not very efficient.

Yes, not efficient but not exactly a mortal sin either. The customer service issue and having prices visible is much more important.

OP - Did the bottles have price stickers on them rather than just having no prices listed below the shelf? Or no prices visible at all?

Been a while since I was there but they certainly used to have prices visible.

I will cut them some slack for the great Christmas and New Year I had a few years ago when I got a crate of Modus Hoperandi (I think) for €30 or so (think there was some issue with non-compliant labelling).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

They've let their standards drop in the last 18 months. McHughs and Molloys are far better these days. Shame really.

OP - Did the bottles have price stickers on them rather than just having no prices listed below the shelf? Or no prices visible at all?

No visible prices at all with respect to the 6 or so bottles that I picked up.
    Some stuff in the fridges did have shelf prices displayed but not many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I've used them over the last number of years and always found them to be sound no hassle at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭donaghs

I had never been in the famous Drinkstore until I found myself in the area today.

Now, I'm not going to complain about the prices they charge because I don't know what they charge for anything I picked up. No prices on the shelf or bottles.

I asked about this and was told that they don't put prices on beers and that I could ask. He then went on to say that if this was a problem for me that it wasn't the shop for me. I was then, rather patronisingly, told that there was a supermarket up the road.

I left empty handed.

Is it just me, or is this a crazy business model?
    Would anyone else refuse to shop in a store that doesn't display prices?
    Is this even legal?

My first trip to Drinkstore was a bit of a letdown.

Only saw this thread now. I've only been in there twice, first time to check it out (about 3 years ago). Decent enough beer selection, but almost no prices at all. And yes, I got a very patronizing smug response when I asked did they have any prices. One of the guys also said "which one are you looking for and I can tell you the price". As if your typical craft beer browser only comes in to buy their one favorite type of beer.

The 2nd time (last year) , just cause I happened to be passing through Stoneybatter. Same experience again. I said to them I didn't like buying in shops without prices. The guy (a little friendlier now) said something about being hard to do this with a the huge variety of stock that passes through the store. I had to point out that this never seems to be an issue for the likes of Redmond's or McHugh's that are equally (or better) stocked (at least on the days I was in there). So yeh, I don't go out of my way to visit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've been using them for years with no real problems. In fact, I'd always have a decent chat with Ken when I'd pop in to collect my order.

I used to always order on line, which is what I'd prefer as I could tailor my picks to my budget but their website has become progressively worse over the last couple of years, to the point that it's just pointless using it for anything other than standard stock items. I've been told many times that they're planning to update the website but they've been saying that for a couple of years now.

They used to be one of the best offy's in Dublin but since most offy's nowadays have just as good a range (and closer to home!) they're making themselves a little bit less relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,893 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

To be fair to them on one point, they get a lot of small orders dropped in by small brewers and distributors that are often sold out before they get prices up in shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

To be fair to them on one point, they get a lot of small orders dropped in by small brewers and distributors that are often sold out before they get prices up in shop.

Yeah that's one of the reasons why they said they don't bother updating the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah that's one of the reasons why they said they don't bother updating the website.

websites can cost a bit to change. For lots of shops, including even supermarkets like supervalu, you get more up to date info on their facebook/twitter/instagram pages. Of course you can not order via them but at least know what is in the shop day to day. Wetherspoons update their individual ones a lot.

https://www.facebook.com/www.drinkstore.ie/?rf=194422963904129

I don't get how some of these guys have the nerve/balls to be smug & patronising about not having prices, being ashamed & embarrassed would be the more appropriate feeling -I know if I worked there and had no say in the matter I would be redfaced & apologetic explaining why we had no prices up, especially as its seemingly a grey area legally.

I wonder how the same guys would react if they went into a supermarket with no prices and were confronted by a similar smug prick saying "this might not be the shop for you".

If you have to ask where do they get the prices from anyway? I guess its on a PC. Can they not just print the stock list & prices off on a bog standard printer. You go into some craft beer pubs and they have a very simple clipboard with A4 printouts on it, rather than a fancy flashy laminated menu that is obviously done by a printers. Or some "old" shops might have prices handwritten on tiny labels, rather than printed SEL labels. I never thought less of them.

rubadub wrote: »
    websites can cost a bit to change. For lots of shops, including even supermarkets like supervalu, you get more up to date info on their facebook/twitter/instagram pages. Of course you can not order via them but at least know what is in the shop day to day. Wetherspoons update their individual ones a lot.

https://www.facebook.com/www.drinkstore.ie/?rf=194422963904129

I don't get how some of these guys have the nerve/balls to be smug & patronising about not having prices, being ashamed & embarrassed would be the more appropriate feeling -I know if I worked there and had no say in the matter I would be redfaced & apologetic explaining why we had no prices up, especially as its seemingly a grey area legally.

I wonder how the same guys would react if they went into a supermarket with no prices and were confronted by a similar smug prick saying "this might not be the shop for you".

If you have to ask where do they get the prices from anyway? I guess its on a PC. Can they not just print the stock list & prices off on a bog standard printer. You go into some craft beer pubs and they have a very simple clipboard with A4 printouts on it, rather than a fancy flashy laminated menu that is obviously done by a printers. Or some "old" shops might have prices handwritten on tiny labels, rather than printed SEL labels. I never thought less of them.

A good old hand held price gun works perfectly well in lots of smaller shops and offies.
    Pricing your stock is just part of retailing. You can't just not bother doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'd be curious to check out some new sites.

I used to order from them when they had more exotic offerings and occasionally a good deal on whisky. I don't bothered checking there anymore as their stocklist is much reduced these days.

It's a shame that what was once, by all accounts, a great shop has gone down hill but it's not surprising, really.

The issue with the stock not being priced is quite simply because they just can't be arsed putting prices on the bottles or shelves.

I can only assume that the issue with poor selection is down to similar apathy.

They probably blame a multitude of outside factors for their declining business but as far as I can see, it's all of their own making.

Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

You've been to the shop once though, how do you know what it used to be like or that the business is declining?

Im personally not bothered by not having prices on the beer in the fridge. If the bill at the till is bigger than expected Ill query it.

• Advertisement

You've been to the shop once though, how do you know what it used to be like or that the business is declining?

Im personally not bothered by not having prices on the beer in the fridge. If the bill at the till is bigger than expected Ill query it.

I'm going by what people have said on this thread. People who no longer shop there because of its decline in range.
    I'm also going by its reputation.

I ended up going to Fresh. Great range, good value and everything clearly priced.

Advertisement