Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Minister Noonan talks about building heights in Dublin

1235»

Comments



  • Peregrine wrote: »
    So DCC is voting on the Poolbeg West SDZ (Glass Bottle site) at 3:30. Get your e-mails to councillors in ASAP if you want any hope of increasing the density.

    Is it for a specific building or simply to allow higher buildings?




  • bear1 wrote: »
    Is it for a specific building or simply to allow higher buildings?

    This is the current heights imposed on the SDZ plan that's due to be voted on this afternoon:

    ss9FUmV.png

    More than 70% 4-7 storeys with tiny tall blocks in some corners.




  • Ludicrous that max heights are 7 storeys.
    Surely to God they'll vote to push the limits higher.




  • This is a great way to solve the housing crisis, contain urban sprawl and attract firms from London in the wake of brexit.
    City council rejects Johnny Ronan’s Dublin skyscraper

    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/city-council-rejects-johnny-ronan-s-dublin-skyscraper-1.3141050




  • Take a look at the 4-5 floor proposal for the Irish glass bottle site. Joke stuff. The old centre should be be kept low -mid rise. It's the docklands and Irish glass bottle site etc that are the joke!


  • Advertisement


  • Pterosaur wrote: »
    This is a great way to solve the housing crisis, contain urban sprawl and attract firms from London in the wake of brexit.
    City council rejects Johnny Ronan’s Dublin skyscraper

    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/city-council-rejects-johnny-ronan-s-dublin-skyscraper-1.3141050

    Even more of a joke when you consider that the height of the proposal is just under the limit placed on the site by DCC's own LAP.




  • Subjective aesthetics triumphs again!




  • Pterosaur wrote: »
    This is a great way to solve the housing crisis, contain urban sprawl and attract firms from London in the wake of brexit.
    City council rejects Johnny Ronan’s Dublin skyscraper

    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/city-council-rejects-johnny-ronan-s-dublin-skyscraper-1.3141050

    I'm in no way surprised.
    If it's anything over 10 storeys the masters who control anything excitement **** themselves in anger.
    How in the name of fook is it that limerick is able to get these (albeit smaller) towers approved in the city center but dublin can't.
    Why in Gods name would companies want to relocate here when there is no space for them nor is there any appetite for a tall modern building to accommodate them.
    I hope he appeals on the grounds it's been submitted using their own ****ing guidelines.
    Gob****es.




  • It's pretty upsetting when DCC refused the Tara St tower in spite of the fact that their own LAP allows for a higher building. The reasoning being that it can be seen from the north strand. And what you might say?
    Something must be wrong here are the councillors in the pockets of companies that develop housing estates in Kildare?
    I do hope this is successfully appealed.




  • IGS are happy anyway.

    jNCVaIl.jpg



    Their comment "There is a place arguably for tall buildings..." is frustrating to say the least. Please please please let this be appealed successfully.


  • Advertisement


  • What are the chances of it a) being appealed and b) being approved..
    Nope a hope.




  • cgcsb wrote: »
    It's pretty upsetting when DCC refused the Tara St tower in spite of the fact that their own LAP allows for a higher building. The reasoning being that it can be seen from the north strand. And what you might say?
    Something must be wrong here are the councillors in the pockets of companies that develop housing estates in Kildare?
    I do hope this is successfully appealed.
    No the councillors are in the pockets of nimbys whos vote they go looking for every few years. Biggest vote grabber is probably " not in our back yard"




  • bear1 wrote: »
    I'm in no way surprised.
    If it's anything over 10 storeys the masters who control anything excitement **** themselves in anger.
    How in the name of fook is it that limerick is able to get these (albeit smaller) towers approved in the city center but dublin can't.
    Why in Gods name would companies want to relocate here when there is no space for them nor is there any appetite for a tall modern building to accommodate them.
    I hope he appeals on the grounds it's been submitted using their own ****ing guidelines.
    Gob****es.

    Soon Limerick will have the best river skyline in Ireland.
    Dublin will come in 3rd place if Cork get their 40 storey tower approved which I believe is highly likely.
    Really is shocking that the capital city will end up with a CBD that looks like a bland suburban business park!




  • technocrat wrote: »
    Soon Limerick will have the best river skyline in Ireland.
    Dublin will come in 3rd place if Cork get their 40 storey tower approved which I believe is highly likely.
    Really is shocking that the capital city will end up with a CBD that looks like a bland suburban business park!

    If cork or Limerick really pushed it they could end up looking spectacular and possibly draw some of the growth out of Dublin. Just because it's the capital now doesn't mean it always has to be.




  • technocrat wrote: »
    Soon Limerick will have the best river skyline in Ireland.
    Dublin will come in 3rd place if Cork get their 40 storey tower approved which I believe is highly likely.
    Really is shocking that the capital city will end up with a CBD that looks like a bland suburban business park!

    When is the Cork decision?
    The thing is and I suspect it could be the next stages.
    If limerick gets this approved it would mean the average heights of the shoreline would be over 10 storeys so you'd then have developers sending 20 storeys for planning and it would gradually raise the city higher as there is a good counter balance on size going on.
    Dublin is a mess, 11 storeys there, 20 over there then 16 on that side and so nothing is in scale.
    So when a 22 storey comes along you can tell straight away it will be rejected.
    I'd have a hoped for better reasons but this is dcc and an taisce we are talking about.




  • Jayop wrote: »
    If cork or Limerick really pushed it they could end up looking spectacular and possibly draw some of the growth out of Dublin. Just because it's the capital now doesn't mean it always has to be.

    I'd say they aren't pushing it so as to not over step their mark.
    Cork and limerick are dark horses and it wouldn't surprise me if they are the ones to get their buildings approved.




  • There seems to be more of an impetus in Cork to get the Docklands redevelopment right.

    Stark contrast to DCC who seem content in wall to wall shoeboxes in the Docklands in Dublin. It's worse given the interest in buildings from the likes of JPMorgan and further going forward. It's impossible to gauge the future demand for buildings at present due to the fact that we don't know exactly what Brexit is yet, and here we are rejecting tall buildings to appease a small group of old people who likely wouldn't be around to see the new buildings anyway.

    Deplorable stuff. Anyway roll on Cork and Limerick's much better attempts.


Advertisement