Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

Your man Colin Murray is a great find, i like his choice of guests and his diversity, funny too
    He's off for 2 weeks on Eurosport doing the snooker but a big launch for his show coming in May when he is give a full time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Here's an excellently written and produced podcast series on the Northern Bank robbery, written and produced by Glenn Patterson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000tsjy

Best place to listen to it is on the player. Episodes are no longer than a quarter-hour.

It has a very unusual style. The writer personally narrates the story of the scheme, and the court testimonies of the witnesses is used to construct the script, without recreating the courtroom — the testimony is purely narrative.
    Then it does something very unusual — in some clips, the actors (all from Northern Ireland) go out of character and recall their memory of the robbery as members of the public/children.

It sounds messy. It isn't, it's one of the most compelling radio documentaries I've heard.

The story of the northern bank robbery is such a remarkable one, you'd have to exert yourself to make it boring. But this is what a Netflix radio podcast would probably sound like.

Thanks for that. Very interesting and well presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

has Annie Mac ever work on irish radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Mr Snow wrote: »
    has Annie Mac ever work on irish radio?

Don't think so, Queens University Belfast then ...

"Towards the end of her English Literature degree Annie decided to get into radio and signed up for a post-graduate Masters at a college in Farnborough. She spent a depressing year working part time in a supermarket in the sleepy Hampshire town finishing her studies. With her Masters behind her she moved to London into a house with brother Davey and other members of his band The Crimea, who were flying high in the charts".

‘I had a mad few years of living in Camden and being a proper indie girl. I worked for the student radio network SBN and, had my own residency at The Underworld in Camden. That club was a ‘walk in’ club. You’d get every type of person in there from little skater boys, indie kids, punks, loads of tourists. Literally every walk of life was represented so it was a real lesson in keeping the dance floor full. It was only a year or two later I was doing The Mash Up so I brought that to my Radio 1 show.’

• Advertisement

After 11 years, Huey Morgan's final show on BBC Radio 2 is this morning 4am to 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭corks finest

Don't think so, Queens University Belfast then ...

"Towards the end of her English Literature degree Annie decided to get into radio and signed up for a post-graduate Masters at a college in Farnborough. She spent a depressing year working part time in a supermarket in the sleepy Hampshire town finishing her studies. With her Masters behind her she moved to London into a house with brother Davey and other members of his band The Crimea, who were flying high in the charts".

‘I had a mad few years of living in Camden and being a proper indie girl. I worked for the student radio network SBN and, had my own residency at The Underworld in Camden. That club was a ‘walk in’ club. You’d get every type of person in there from little skater boys, indie kids, punks, loads of tourists. Literally every walk of life was represented so it was a real lesson in keeping the dance floor full. It was only a year or two later I was doing The Mash Up so I brought that to my Radio 1 show.’
    "Carnarvon Castle" Sundays along with the market was magic in the past

This week Scott Mills is covering for Ken Bruce on Radio 2 (9:30am) and then he's over to Radio 1 for his regular daily show (1pm).

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2021/06/scott-mills-is-on-bbc-radio-1-and-bbc-radio-2-all-this-week/?fbclid=IwAR0WrfwzPIc9BzcAbKhtNjyljMCiZ8LYhowI4Rc0VLikxJtFfUmHJUhCUZ0

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bureau2009

This week Scott Mills is covering for Ken Bruce on Radio 2 (9:30am) and then he's over to Radio 1 for his regular daily show (1pm).

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2021/06/scott-mills-is-on-bbc-radio-1-and-bbc-radio-2-all-this-week/?fbclid=IwAR0WrfwzPIc9BzcAbKhtNjyljMCiZ8LYhowI4Rc0VLikxJtFfUmHJUhCUZ0
    Yes, this is really interesting and unprecedented. Wonder how he compartmentalizes the two shows, eg phone nos, station ID etc. He is going to be exhausted!

And you've got to wonder what it's all about! It's not as if there is a scarcity of radio presenters in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭its_steve116

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Yes, this is really interesting and unprecedented. Wonder how he compartmentalizes the two shows, eg phone nos, station ID etc. He is going to be exhausted!

And you've got to wonder what it's all about! It's not as if there is a scarcity of radio presenters in the UK!

Chris Moyles did two shows on BBC Radio 1 one day a few years back, and no I'm not talking about his "Longest Show Ever".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jeremy Vine does two hours TV 9.15 to 11.15 am on Channel 5 every day. The last part of the show is prerecorded so he has enough time to cycle to the BBC for his 12 noon to 2 pm daily programme on Radio 2.

Yes Vine does TV and Radio on same day though bbc r1 and bbc r2 are 2 different age markets for Mills. I guess he'll be replacing one of the r2 presenters soon. He's 47 and been on with r1 23 years.

Shaun Keaveney leaving 6 Music in September. I love his show and will really miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Jeremy Vine does two hours TV 9.15 to 11.15 am on Channel 5 every day. The last part of the show is prerecorded so he has enough time to cycle to the BBC for his 12 noon to 2 pm daily programme on Radio 2.

Interesting, I never knew that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Shaun Keaveney leaving 6 Music in September. I love his show and will really miss him.

Yeah..great show, funny guy.....reckon there's more to this than just wanting a change....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Always enjoyed Shauns shows. Suited me better when he was on breakfast, mostly didn't miss a day. Haven't been able to listen in the afternoon as much and truthfully breakfast on 6 just has never been the same since the new format.

Earlier in the year we also had the change to a firm Saturday fixture - loved Liz Kershaws Saturday show, the replacement is a total change, all yoof soundz.

I must be reaching the BBCs Radio 2 demographic or something, 6Music is drifting away from me show by show.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,551 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Heads up…

BBC Radio Wales will stop broadcasting on Medium Wave (MW657 or MW882) for good on Wednesday 23rd. June.

More info here:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/mw-closures-2021

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

My understanding is that they will continue on 882. The 10 kW Wrexham transmitter will close, but Washford will still be there with 50 kW.

Genghis wrote: »
    Always enjoyed Shauns shows. Suited me better when he was on breakfast, mostly didn't miss a day. Haven't been able to listen in the afternoon as much and truthfully breakfast on 6 just has never been the same since the new format.

Earlier in the year we also had the change to a firm Saturday fixture - loved Liz Kershaws Saturday show, the replacement is a total change, all yoof soundz.

I must be reaching the BBCs Radio 2 demographic or something, 6Music is drifting away from me show by show.

Radio 2 leaves me cold. Too many personality presenters and the music isn’t for me. I agree with you about Liz Kershaw. I’m trying to listen to new music and in general I find Jamz Supernova really good.

What's the story with the TODAY programme on BBC Radio 4 suddenly only being available in the UK (when using the app)?

I've been listening to it (in the republic) without any problems, but this cropped up last week. Still available in NI, no problem.

I know I can still listen using a VPN or whatever... not that arsed... but what's the idea behind this?

• Advertisement

What's the story with the TODAY programme on BBC Radio 4 suddenly only being available in the UK (when using the app)?

I've been listening to it (in the republic) without any problems, but this cropped up last week. Still available in NI, no problem.

I know I can still listen using a VPN or whatever... not that arsed... but what's the idea behind this?

Probably because of EURO2020.

Probably because of EURO2020.

Actually, I was listening to it this morning on BBC Sounds.

Actually, I was listening to it this morning on BBC Sounds.
    On the app? How odd. I kept getting this. Haven't had this problem with any other programme, including PM or the Six o'clock News.

20210614-175422.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Strange one. I listened to Today on sat morning no problem.

On the app? How odd. I kept getting this. Haven't had this problem with any other programme, including PM or the Six o'clock News.

20210614-175422.jpg

Yes, on the BBC Sounds App.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Genghis wrote: »

Not you mate..its the great british public changing..we dont have this problem here because all the stations play the same tripe...and the sheep cant get enough of it...move with it..:P
    P.S...could you EVER imagine a show like Maconie's Freak Zone here....:eek:

R4 was blocked on BBC Sounds this morning from c. 8.20 to 8.35. The Sports News is obviously restricted, which is bizarre given that the games at the Euros are on R5 Live.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

R4 was blocked on BBC Sounds this morning from c. 8.20 to 8.35. The Sports News is obviously restricted, which is bizarre given that the games at the Euros are on R5 Live.

198 still has its uses even in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,897 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nick grimshaw announced yesterday he’s leaving BBC radio 1 after 14 years.

• Advertisement

Bruce Springsteen syndicated series 'From My Home To Yours' (Sat morning 12 - 1am) is geo-blocked on all Internet Radio, smart speaker sources etc..

Advertisement