Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC Radio Megathread

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Why am I hearing a message advising the stream I am listening to will stop working mid-2023?

The BBC uses several streaming technologies to deliver BBC Sounds. If you are hearing a message informing of this change, you are listening using Shoutcast. The BBC will stop supporting Shoutcast by mid-2023. 

Why are we making these changes? 

Shoutcast is an older streaming technology and many connected radio devices in the UK no longer use it for BBC streams. Ending support for Shoutcast will enable us to focus on the two most popular technologies currently used – HLS and DASH. As well as delivering better value, it will allow us to understand more on how our content is consumed. This forms part of our strategy for BBC Sounds and is important to help us improve the services we offer to our listeners. 

We informed manufacturers and other service providers of this change in May 2022. 

I hear the message – what should I do? 

If you are using an internet radio or smart speaker, please contact the manufacturer. It might be possible for the device to be updated to use another of our supported streams. 

If you can hear the message when listening to BBC services via the web or mobile phone, please listen on BBC Sounds instead. 

Other ways to listen to BBC Sounds on a Hi-Fi 

There are multiple ways to listen to BBC Sounds on your Hi-Fi. If you hear the message when listening on your Hi-Fi, please contact your manufacturer. Additionally, you might find our FAQ useful – How can I get BBC Sounds on my Hi-Fi?

This might put an end to a lot of enjoyment for people around the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Best of luck to Tara Kumar, Connor Coates & Evanna Maxted on BBC Radio 1 over the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

End of an era..... Ken Bruce has announced that he's leaving BBC Radio 2. Entirely his own decision, or so he says...!

He's moving to Greatest Hits Radio, starting 3rd April, in the 10am - 1pm slot.

As he owns the rights to PopMaster, he'll bring it with him!

There aren't many BBC R2 presenters that I'd bother tuning in for these days (a few exceptions at the weekend, and a small bit of Sara Cox in the early evenings is about all)

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64305756

Gardening leave in radio doesn't seem to be a thing at all over in the UK. I was amazed at how Chris Evans and Graham Norton were basically able to continue on Radio 2 until 1 week before their new show started on a rival station. Here presenters have been off air for weeks/months once news broke that they've signed to another station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

'Today' on radio 4 is not what it was

Isn't it mad that a relatively new station like GHR is eating away listeners from R2?

Yes but GHR did have an advantage in that it replaced loads of legacy local radio stations all over the FM and AM bands all across the country.

It also plays the music that R2 used to play, R2 seem to be trying to attract a younger listener. The success of GHR and particularly Boom Radio shows that there is an audience for older music and the advertising is geared in the direction of the 50 + listener!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dara Ó Briain is on Desert Island Discs on Radio Four Sunday 26 March, repeated following Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Any fans of Elis James and John Robins here? Best show on radio atm imo. Fri 2-4pm and on podcast.

Really liking BBC Radio 1 Relax on the BBC Sounds app!

Jordan North gone from Radio 1. Jamie Laing taking over from 4th March. Vick Hope is staying with the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Wogan house closed tonight and the last song played was by Terry himself, The Floral Dance, how apt!

It is heavily rumoured that he will be the new host of the Capital FM breakfast show, replacing Roman Kemp who will be leaving in the next month or so. Official confirmation expected on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Very sad to hear this news,he was a very good journalist and presenter whom I watched on The Nine on BBC Scotland and listened on BBC Radio Scotland. Originally from Wexford and his Irish accent really stood out amongst his Scottish colleagues!

Post edited by waywill1966 on

Advertisement