Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Down there last night and they started the mirror cladding. I though it would be seamless but appears to be gaps/joins at the moment and I hope it's not finished yet :)

w3xTquh.png

UXNFDtu.png

IM1385J.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Down there last night and they started the mirror cladding. I though it would be seamless but appears to be gaps/joins at the moment and I hope it's not finished yet :)

Because of its shape, you will have gaps on the side but I'm sure they will have pieces cut and placed in there (I hope!) Are they putting the pieces up fast? As in did they only start that day and was it half through the day when they had those pieces up or the end of the day?

Deiseen wrote: »
    Because of its shape, you will have gaps on the side but I'm sure they will have pieces cut and placed in there (I hope!) Are they putting the pieces up fast? As in did they only start that day and was it half through the day when they had those pieces up or the end of the day?

That was after 6pm yesterday. They started yesterday morning .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Check if you are going bald here! Down blouse checks as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Looking good, can't wait to see the finished product. Hopefully the gaps will be filled so it all looks like one panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Progress seems very slow at the moment. The first part of it seemed to fly up. I think it's going to look great when it's finished. Pass by it everday and it's looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It's an absolute ðisgrace! Only in Waterford would they or could they put up such a monstrosity! Who gave pp or sanctioned spending on same? It's like one of the star cruisers from Star Wars! A long time ago in a City far, far away......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

It's an absolute ðisgrace! Only in Waterford would they or could they put up such a monstrosity! Who gave pp or sanctioned spending on same? It's like one of the star cruisers from Star Wars! A long time ago in a City far, far away......

Yes but what do you really think?:rolleyes:

I think Waterford CC got mugged!

I think Waterford CC got mugged!

I think it is a wonderful idea and much better that the market selling chinese muck / taxi rank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A spaceship, oh I really wanna see it now!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    A spaceship, oh I really wanna see it now!

naboo-queens-royal-starship-j-type-327-3d-model-obj-dxf-stl-dwg-sldprt-sldasm-slddrw-ige-igs-iges.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

It's an absolute ?isgrace! Only in Waterford would they or could they put up such a monstrosity! Who gave pp or sanctioned spending on same? It's like one of the star cruisers from Star Wars! A long time ago in a City far, far away......

You're forgetting that carbuncle outside Sam McCauleys chemist in Broad st. the apple market one is a bigger version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Don't let the negativity consume you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Star cruiser...brilliant, does that make the wacky Apple the mos eisley cantina.I like the place more now and I think with that description you do too quiet fella ;-)

Don't let the negativity consume you.

But what is its purpose? Another improvement like The Quays they'll argue!
    It will be torn down within ten years!

Max Powers wrote: »
    Star cruiser...brilliant, does that make the wacky Apple the mos eisley cantina.I like the place more now and I think with that description you do too quiet fella ;-)

Sadly not Max! Do they have any concept of good taste within WCC?
    The beautiful red brick buildings are now partially covered!
    It was an area that needed some investment particularly towards SGA
    but it needed investment from private enterprise also. The pub on the corner
    could do with some major refurbishment. It'll become nothing more then a
    place to take a piss during the winter months!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Got a first look last weekend. Hard to know what to make of it. Could look great when its finished and also if its got inbuilt lighting could look very nice at night. Maybe with some complementary planting to soften the "industrial" look .

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

I was passing by this morning and there were over quarter of mirrored steel sheets installed. I think it will create amazing reflections (if only kept clean in thee future)

could do with some major refurbishment. It'll become nothing more then a

Clearly not your bag then, others like it.what should be remembered is any new building will by and large have this type of construction modern materials techniques....steel, glass, etc.e.g. Michael street shopping centre will probably complement it, the new car park on old WIT, same.

• Advertisement

But therin lies the issue Max!
    New buildings do not have to be so bold and brassy in view but
    blend into the environment. This along with the new Centre will be
    visual eye sores upon the Waterford landscape in my view!

could do with some major refurbishment
    . It'll become nothing more then a

So you expect local business to put money which they may not have into their business just to blend in with the roof ??

What kind of refurbishment you suggest :)

The council have dictated as to what you can and cant do to the exterior of your premises and what seating will be used for the outside areas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Chiparus wrote: »

i ll be very disappointed if it doesnt look like this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Went down for another look this morning and I think it's going to be terrific. Something as big and bold as this is always going to look raw and brash at the beginning but when it's finished and the pubs & restaurants around it put out seating, do themselves up where needed, hang bunting etc, it'll be the dogs boll0x.
    Re the Quiet fellas comment about the red brick; there's no point in building something that tries to blend in with older architectural styles and materials from different eras - I think the architects call that pastiche. Better to build something bold and modern to really make a statement, and I think they will achieve that aim. But of course time will tell.
    But I say well done to all involved and I'm really looking forward to my first pint of Clonmel's finest in a pint glass full of ice sitting in the shade on a hot summers day outside Geoffs or Heerys listening to some tunes looking up at the reflection of the sun on the icecubes on the roof mirror........aaahhh.......:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

My view is this is just an intelligent solution to Ireland's climate. If this is successful, perhaps a similar (and obviously larger) structure in John Roberts Sq. Additionally, some clever tree planting to attenuate strong winds on exposed sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Normally I'd agree; but there is nothing of existing architectural merit in either locations meaning even the most mediocre additions are improvements.

Fair enough suppose but just because a new structure is a bit incongruous doesn't make it bad.red brick and stuff like that is lovely, granted but people like this modern stuff too, me included in certain circumstances.New stuff can be bold and different, the medieval museum is completely different to other structures but still fantastic, maybe not best example but there are loads.we can't be beholden to keeping things as is,I know that's not what you're saying, but IMO, Apple market is not some architectural gem that we can't alter so it's all down to one's taste.much like any new shopping centre is not going to be a red brick structure in keeping with ginos and an siopa.you don't like it,I do, none of us are 100%

So you expect local business to put money which they may not have into their business just to blend in with the roof ??

What kind of refurbishment you suggest :)

The council have dictated as to what you can and cant do to the exterior of your premises and what seating will be used for the outside areas

I don't expect them to invest in their premises to suit a roof but I would have
    expected some effort by both the council and the premises owners in improving
    the look of the area. Compulsory purchase the two houses at the start of SGA
    to begin with and demolish them but I'm going around in circles again!

I would demolish the vast majority of this City as that's all it's fit for!
    People holding on to premises and doing nothing with them!
    Another charity shop in Michael Street I see!

What is Waterford CC doing to attract new business to the City?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

[QUOTE=; there's no point in building something that tries to blend in with older architectural styles and materials from different eras - I think the architects call that pastiche. Better to build something bold and modern to really make a statement, and I think they will achieve that aim.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the architects of the ardree said the same

• Advertisement

I don't expect them to invest in their premises to suit a roof but I would have
    expected some effort by both the council and the premises owners in improving
    the look of the area. Compulsory purchase the two houses at the start of SGA
    to begin with and demolish them but I'm going around in circles again!

I would demolish the vast majority of this City as that's all it's fit for!
    People holding on to premises and doing nothing with them!
    Another charity shop in Michael Street I see!

What is Waterford CC doing to attract new business to the City?

Demolish most of city centre...you're dragging that line up again...makes as much sense as build these drumcondra style houses previously mentioned, .a lot of your posts indicate some sort of chip on shoulder vendetta against city council.

Advertisement