Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra timing chain

Options
  • 03-04-2017 10:32am

Hi All,

just been told the garage servicing my 09 astra (1.4 petrol) that the timing chain needs to be replaced and it is going to start leaking oil soon, even though it has a full service history nearly all at main dealer.

Can anyone give me an estimate for this work as I've been quoted €1,000.

Also can anyone recommend a garage in south Dublin to get a second opinion?

Thanks,
    Bumpsy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not DIY, moved to main forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

If the mechanic told you about it where you aware of a rattle sound before?

He may be telling you from experience as this engine does seem to be affected by chain issues and he has noticed a slight noise he would be familiar with as a symptom where as you might not.

Kits vary from 60 to a few hundred and it should take about 4 hours or more .Add on vat and you are in the ballpark of 600 + anyway .

I can't recommend a garage I'm afraid so hopefully someone else will be along.

Thanks for your reply, closer to €600 sounds much more palatable.

The guy at the service desk said the mechanic had spotted an oil leak and asked had we noticed any performance drop and said the timing chain needed to be changed.

There is no noticeable drop in performance but there is a slight rattle when started from cold which then disappears after a second or two and doesn't reappear.

But I really have to be listening to hear it, there's no loud rattle like you hear on youtube videos of timing chains about to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Someone I know had this done in a 05 Astra just last week. They were quoted about €600/700 from one garage, but got it done for about €400 in the end by a mechanic who frequents this forum. It may have been a special price though so I'm not going to mention who, but maybe he would PM you if he sees this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, was the quote from a main dealer?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, was the quote from a main dealer?
    Nope not a main dealer, but they also quoted €200 to supply and fit rear brake pads and an indicator bulb, so i expected their quote for the timing chain to be on the high side!

At the moment I'm not sure the car even needs the work, so will get somewhere else to take a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I'd give Bolands Opel in Clondalkin a shout, main dealership with modest pricing

Might be useful info for others, but got the timing chain replaced for €720 with a main dealer, I'm sure if you have a trusted independent you can do better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

Hi hoping for a reply on this. My 06 Astra is getting a bad rattle now so think the chain needs a repair, looking for a cheap fix if anyone could recommend one?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Buy a different car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

There is no cheap fix, that engine is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Trying to do a timing chain on the cheap is a recipe for disaster - as they say, buy cheap, buy twice.

Advertisement