Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heineken H41

Options
  • 29-03-2017 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried this?

Spotted it a pub here in London and tried a pint. Tastes like a standard lager with a bit of a nicer flavor than regular heineken.

The story is hilarious however - brewed wuth a special new yeast discovered in patagonia :-)) give me a break..

I have to admit that I didnt know yeast played a role in the flavor of a beer. Haven't seen any talk about yeasts in relation to craft beers for example.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

give me a break..

I have to admit that I didnt know yeast played a role in the flavor of a beer.
    So... dismissive of their claims about the yeast first, then saying you didn't know about yeast's contribution to beer flavour? I haven't tasted the beer and I'm not normally one to say "cut Heineken some slack", but cut Heineken some slack.

Lager yeast really was traced back to a Patagonian ancestor in 2011. It's entirely possible that Heineken really did culture it up and use it (though I can't find any story that isn't an obvious Heino press release). I have heard from sources I trust that the resulting beer is actually pretty good. I'm looking forward to trying this; it sounds like a fun novelty.

And yeast does contribute hugely to beer flavour. The banana in your weissbier and the plum in your dubbel, for example, are yeast-derived flavours. New England IPA wouldn't be the latest and greatest craft beer craze if it weren't for the English-derived Vermont ale yeast that makes it possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Woah hold up.

I guess I was being dismissive of the idea that heineken had discovered this particular yeast as I thought it was the usual ploy of big companies these days to appeal to people's taste for originality. If it's true then good for them.

I admitted I didnt know about yeast's role in beer flavour so thanks for the info on that.

Im on my third pint of it while reading here in the pub. It is nice. Fairly strong though at 5.3.

the idea that heineken had discovered this particular yeast
    Are they saying somewhere that they themselves discovered it? :D There's a lad at the University of Wisconsin might take issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The marketing reminds me of the insanity pepper line in the simpsons, "The Merciless Peppers of Quetzalacatenango … grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum."

http://www.theheinekencompany.com/media/features/heineken-launches-limited-edition-h41-the-first-in-new-lager-explorations-series
    The name H41 is derived from the latitude co-ordinate of the beech forest in Patagonia where this yeast was discovered. The H stands for Heineken®. Currently available in Amsterdam’s Heineken Experience, H41will be launched in Italy in March, and in selected outlets in The Netherlands from April. It will be available in 33cl bottles and draught.

It could well put some of the incredibly staunch "anti-anything remotely sounding like craft beer or fancy beer" off Heineken in general.

I wonder if they do release it here will they drop the % like they do with regular heineken.

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder if they do release it here will they drop the % like they do with regular heineken.
    Apparently it's pouring in Idlewild, if you'd like to collapse that waveform. Bet they haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It has been released here, a mate of mine told me he was drinking it last night. I think he was in Kennedy's in Mount Merrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

So..., does it actually taste noticeably different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

Were the marketing dept. half asleep while thinking of the name, or is the swine flu association deliberate?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

While looking it up I see 0% heineken is out.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=295710175
    Not more than alc. 0.05% vol

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=295710307

strange, bottles listed as per 100ml
    Carbohydrates 0g
    Of which Sugars 1.3g

cans listed per 100ml
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=295710175
    Carbohydrates 4.8g
    Of which Sugars 1.3g

both 21kcal per 100ml so obviously 1 is wrong (not a different recipe.)

Coke is 10.6g carbs per 100ml, 42kcal, so it seem the can info is right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yeah bottles gotta listed incorrectly there.

Those I posted were UK values too. I wondered if they were using the heineken light carb values for the zero.

The heineken Irish site lists info too. I have always found it very hard to find trustworthy info online, even the bulmers ireland site used to have conflicting info, i.e. the kcal per ml were not the same for pint & longneck.

http://www.heineken.com/ie/Nutritional-Values
    HEINEKEN NUTRITIONAL VALUES PER 100ML

ENERGY 149kJ / 36 kcal

FAT 0 g

OF WHICH SATURATES 0 g

CARBOHYDRATES 2,8 g

OF WHICH SUGARS 0 g

PROTEIN 0 g

SALT < 0,01 g

HEINEKEN LIGHT NUTRITIONAL VALUES PER 100ML

ENERGY 94kJ / 22 kcal

FAT 0 g

OF WHICH SATURATES 0 g

CARBOHYDRATES 1,4 g

OF WHICH SUGARS 0 g

PROTEIN 0 g

SALT < 0,01 g

H41 NUTRITIONAL VALUES PER 100ML

ENERGY 226kJ / 54 kcal

FAT 0 g

OF WHICH SATURATES 0 g

CARBOHYDRATES 5,5 g

OF WHICH SUGARS 0 g

PROTEIN 0,6 g

SALT < 0,1 g

Those figures for the regular 4.3% seem low, it would work out 180kcal per 500ml, guinness used to be one of the very few who displayed calories and it was 170kcal per 500ml. I am pretty sure heineken used to be higher, shame & shocking that the EU still exempt alcohol from displaying values.

If you find other values it is typically for 5% heineken.

EDIT: the previous

Carbohydrates 0g
    Of which Sugars 1.3g

is obviously wrong, since it should at least say carbs 1.3g or which sugar 1.3g. 4.8g sounds right for the calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They have this in Mary's Bar off Grafton Street.

Not a fan, it's too super fruity for me not my type of pallette although i could only have 2 hoegardens until that became heavy , so may please some

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    There are bottles but I don't know if they're in the off-trade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tried it the other day and wasn't mad about it. Just not really my sort of beer rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

The barman in Marys gave me a little sample. I didn't choose to buy a pint after that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Any chance of getting this in an Off License???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Had a pint of this tonight, thought I'd give it a go
    5.3% abv
    So.a nice bite to it.
    Lots of flavour.

Then I got a second pint, and a third pint.

Definitely something I would pick up in the offie

Advertisement