If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.


  • 28-03-2017 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

    Have to move an uninsured classic to my garage.

    What do you call those towing equipment where you connect your hitch to the axle of the towed vehicle. Seems ideal. It's a triangle thing which means u don't need someone in the car being towed.
    Could I hire one or just best to buy one.

    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

    its called an 'A Frame'.

    some for sale here. Cheap at just €195 delivered, so probably best to buy one, hard to find one to rent I would imagine

    Works reasonably well with lighter vehicles like cars, as long as your towing it with something substantial, jeep, van, light truck etc...

    Technically they are only supposed to be used for emergency recovery, (broken down on the side of the road). The reason for this is the frame and the vehicle being recovered is actually classed as a trailer in legal terms, and therefore must have working brakes if over 750kgs. There is an exemption from this rule when used for recovery.

    I used them a bit in the UK in the past, but would have to be sure the car was taxed, otherwise the 'emergency recovery' story wouldn't cut the mustard! Their laws are pretty clear:

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

    Good post Testacalda!

    I too have used A-Frames in the past. While they are a useful piece of kit - being older (wiser?) and more aware of how things can so easily go wrong (A-Frames can 'jacknife' quite easily on bends) braking and insurance requirements, etc - I would be very reluctant to use one nowadays.

    Imho, it's much safer (and wiser!) to organise a car transport trailer with proper towing vehicle, insurance, etc in place.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭w124man

    Rent a trailer for the day. Its much safer.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

    Tnks, will sort out a trailer.

    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.