Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability benefits

• 22-03-2017 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys a family member of mine is on disability allowance for anxiety now many years and just got a hair transplant surgery procedure done from hair loss which the anxiety did not help the matter , the place in Dublin where he got it done said that he could be intitled to some of The money back in tax or something like that because of his condition as a former client got money back from a similar condition. The doctor told us. so could anyone tell me any information on this or who do I go to to find out . I'd appreciate info on it .. thank
    You
    !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Steve3030 wrote: »
    Hi guys a family member of mine is on disability allowance for anxiety now many years and just got a hair transplant surgery procedure done from hair loss which the anxiety did not help the matter , the place in Dublin where he got it done said that he could be intitled to some of The money back in tax or something like that because of his condition as a former client got money back from a similar condition. The doctor told us. so could anyone tell me any information on this or who do I go to to find out . I'd appreciate info on it .. thank
    You
    !!

You can only claim a tax refund if you pay tax, so if he is on benefits, I can't see where he can get tax back from. Tax on health insurance etc is given at source.

Now maybe I am completely wrong on this but I don't think there is any chance of getting a tax refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭phormium

He can only get tax back if he has paid tax as basically you are claiming back a percentage of your own tax you paid. Now he is probably not paying any tax if on disability.

It's a bit too late for the solution but anybody who pays for someone else medical expenses can claim back the tax (assuming they are a tax payer) so for example a family member or friend could have paid for the treatment and claimed the tax.

Advertisement