Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I'm not here anymore MK! I moved on but my heart still resides there!

And yes, the city needs to be levelled, whole blocks of it demolished.

If they want the City to succeed and develop they need to bring in youth,

young working families and better quality homes that will make a bold

statement about prosperity. Create a new identity for the City.

Why does it have to be new investors to change the face of Waterford?

Your heart still resides there, (along with your sensible comments too)unusual considering the amount of times you are unfairly, slagging and bad mouthing the place off and making bold sweeping silly comments.I'd say since you don't live here anymore that your comments don't bear up to reality of Waterford, good things, the progress,and positives happening.lot more to do obviously, that doesn't involve wholesale demolition of the place like you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Deiseen wrote: »
    Did you?

Yes. Pg 35 Top right bullet point;
    "The only remaining building on the North Quays - the Hennebique Building - will be demolished in the coming months."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Christ '78 we've lived under austerity long enough! I've been through three recessions. Is it an Irish thing where we enjoy the sufferance, the pity and the misery?
    We'll write more f**king laments about this era! Paint a new picture!

apologies but i may have misinterpreted what you meant, but what exactly do you mean by a 'bold statement of prosperity'?

talking of austerity, it was not the right thing to do for this country and has failed, but that really is a discussion for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    apologies but i may have misinterpreted what you meant, but what exactly do you mean by a 'bold statement of prosperity'?

talking of austerity, it was not the right thing to do for this country and has failed, but that really is a discussion for another thread.

I want us as a City to progress '78!
    To make a statement to the rest of the country.
    A University, An Airport that serves the major European cities.
    A city that has an air of prosperity about it, not a spray tan!

We have sat in the shadows for too long!
    Cork, Limerick and Galway have all progressed and good luck to them.
    Why have we not been so successful?
    What have our political representatives achieved for Waterford other then themselves?

It's fantastic that a group are investing in Waterford.
    What a fantastic coup for the City!
    But lets add to that, the heart of the City is soul less!
    There is no vibrancy to it!

As I stated in previous threads the City centre needs to be re-developed.
    Let's take the Prague approach to our City's future development.
    I mentioned The Glen in a previous post, how in such a state of disrepair
    it was. Houses barricaded and others falling down!

Lets start with a compulsory purchase of all derelict properties in that area
    and build homes that make a statement. I'm not talking about social housing
    but period homes that would add to the very fabric of the City.

I want us as a City to progress '78!
    To make a statement to the rest of the country.
    A University, An Airport that serves the major European cities.
    A city that has an air of prosperity about it, not a spray tan!

We have sat in the shadows for too long!
    Cork, Limerick and Galway have all progressed and good luck to them.
    Why have we not been so successful?
    What have our political representatives achieved for Waterford other then themselves?

It's fantastic that a group are investing in Waterford.
    What a fantastic coup for the City!
    But lets add to that, the heart of the City is soul less!
    There is no vibrancy to it!

As I stated in previous threads the City centre needs to be re-developed.
    Let's take the Prague approach to our City's future development.
    I mentioned The Glen in a previous post, how in such a state of disrepair
    it was. Houses barricaded and others falling down!

Lets start with a compulsory purchase of all derelict properties in that area
    and build homes that make a statement. I'm not talking about social housing
    but period homes that would add to the very fabric of the City.

Simple as that....No mention of where capital comes from for a start to do all this....this thinking is so simplistic its almost childish.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote:
    Simple as that....No mention of where capital comes from for a start to do all this....this thinking is so simplistic its almost childish.

Money is a very interesting subject matter though, but probably a discussion for another thread

Max Powers wrote: »

What would it cost to c' purchase all the houses along by the Showboat and build something like these?

http://www.movehome.ie/residential/brochure/64-drumcondra-road-upper-drumcondra-dublin-9/3779935

It doesn't have to be rocket science Max or maybe you just work for the CC and see things differently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

What would it cost to c' purchase all the houses along by the Showboat and build something like these?

http://www.movehome.ie/residential/brochure/64-drumcondra-road-upper-drumcondra-dublin-9/3779935

It doesn't have to be rocket science Max or maybe you just work for the CC and see things differently!

You dont even live in Waterford dont worry about anything that happens here,move on with your life and forget about Waterford worry about wherever you call home now.

You dont even live in Waterford dont worry about anything that happens here,move on with your life and forget about Waterford worry about wherever you call home now.

You're spot on! I'll have to acquire a Dublin 4 accent though! :D

It would cost millions, is there space for these lovely houses,can you sell them at the price paid for land, construction, profit, etc.lovely old Georgian houses in a place there was never old Georgian style houses, unusual scenario, is there demand for houses like that by showboat, I'd say not..at end of day, you're ignoring lots of things, its not rocket science,100% but its no where near as simple as you make it out to be.somebody mentioned taxi drivers seem to think know everything but are taxi drivers.time and time again people make simplistic immature comments about just knocking things down, just build the runway, bridge, New road, stadium, houses, whatever they completely ignore the realities.and I'd add know nowt quiet fella about Waterford at the moment.

I'd love a job in the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Max Powers wrote: »
    It would cost millions, is there space for these lovely houses,can you sell them at the price paid for land, construction, profit, etc.lovely old Georgian houses in a place there was never old Georgian style houses, unusual scenario, is there demand for houses like that by showboat, I'd say not..at end of day, you're ignoring lots of things, its not rocket science,100% but its no where near as simple as you make it out to be.somebody mentioned taxi drivers seem to think know everything but are taxi drivers.time and time again people make simplistic immature comments about just knocking things down, just build the runway, bridge, New road, stadium, houses, whatever they completely ignore the realities.and I'd add know nowt quiet fella about Waterford at the moment.

I'd love a job in the council.

Is that sarcasm about working in council??

This current 'potential' investment will be a test of the local authority's ability to deliver??

Regarding compulsory purchasing rows of derelict or almost derelict houses and building new Georgian terraces is pure delusional simplistic stuff alright.!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

The ostrich approach is very popular here. Whats the point in being defensive about a place that is fundamentally failing on all metrics of a place being attractive to live in/move to.

Thank God/Allah/Buddha/whatever you fancy for foreign investment. Where would the place be without American and now hopefully Arab money and imagination.

The best our own lot can come up with is stick a f*ckin roof on the place ffs.

Sosurface wrote: »
    The ostrich approach is very popular here. Whats the point in being defensive about a place that is fundamentally failing on all metrics of a place being attractive to live in/move to.

Thank God/Allah/Buddha/whatever you fancy for foreign investment. Where would the place be without American and now hopefully Arab money and imagination.

You are completely wrong in saying Waterford not attractive..parts of city looking great and major works ongoing to improve further.many things here other regional cities would kill for.lack of major traffic, you can get pretty much anywhere quickly, into city, to beach, mountains, great festivals, whatever.
    Lot of people on here were saying putting roofs on some areas of city fantastic idea, me included, they do it in lots of major cities, London, Milan, other UK cities.of course, for some, if kk or Galway did it, they'd be praising them but bad mouthing it when we do it on doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Sosurface wrote: »

Oh right. You should be able to give sources to these metrics you are talking about then.

This post is just laughable. First line “fundamentally failing on all metrics”, second “Where would the place be without American and now hopefully Arab money”. Waterford can attract American and now Arab money but it is failing on all metrics. I am actually sitting here laughing as I type.

Also if you were to come out of your clique once in a while you will learn that there is a lot of people who have moved here and Waterford city has a strong population growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sosurface has yet to contribute a single word of value check his history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Why on earth would you want to buy the houses and build something like those houses? The only thing you should be building in such a central location is an apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

In terms of the city council being able to reinvest in the centre to make it look better and hold more festivals - does anyone have any idea how much rates they are likely to get from a development like Michael Street? Surely it will be worth a nice few Bob to them.

Surely the north quays would transform the amount of money coming into the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Deiseen wrote: »
    In terms of the city council being able to reinvest in the centre to make it look better and hold more festivals - does anyone have any idea how much rates they are likely to get from a development like Michael Street? Surely it will be worth a nice few Bob to them.

Surely the north quays would transform the amount of money coming into the council.

reinvest in the city centre.... ohhhhhh that would be nice.... any money they get will probably go to housing... providing free houses for people.... where the majority of their cash goes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

It's grand. Someone topped up the kool_aid. Up the Deise. Ireland's oldest city. Aren't we great sure. When's the strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Jesus wept, this place can be f'in painful

• Advertisement

robtri wrote:
    reinvest in the city centre.... ohhhhhh that would be nice.... any money they get will probably go to housing... providing free houses for people.... where the majority of their cash goes

Very common statement on boards, and its sad to see. It's very obvious, to me anyway, that the (not so) free market has actually failed in regards our housing needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Very common statement on boards, and its sad to see. It's very obvious, to me anyway, that the (not so) free market has actually failed in regards our housing needs.

Yep, with 0.0016% of the population homeless it's certainly failed alright.

Damn capitalism.

Gavlor wrote:
    Yep, with 0.0016% of the population homeless it's certainly failed alright.

There's over 7000 people homeless at the moment, and rising, that's a systemic failure in my eyes. With all our new found 'wealth', we can't house our people, seriously?
    Gavlor wrote:
    Damn capitalism.

I'd have to agree with those that say, one of our main issues is we're following one of the most potentially dangerous forms of capitalism, I.e. neoliberalism, and its failing, globally. But I would also agree with those that say customers have benefited but it is failing badly regarding our essential needs such as housing etc. It's time for us to move on from these systems and models before we devour ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

There's over 7000 people homeless at the moment, and rising, that's a systemic failure in my eyes. With all our new found 'wealth', we can't house our people, seriously?

I'd have to agree with those that say, one of our main issues is we're following one of the most potentially dangerous forms of capitalism, I.e. neoliberalism, and its failing, globally. But I would also agree with those that say customers have benefited but it is failing badly regarding our essential needs such as housing etc. It's time for us to move on from these systems and models before we devour ourselves.

Focus is being lost on this topic. Is not the subject the €300m investment as opposed to solving the countries. Housing issues.

Why do you think that it's 'our' duty to house the homeless?
    It's a career choice for these people, nothing else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Focus is being lost on this topic. Is not the subject the €300m investment as opposed to solving the countries. Housing issues.

Indeed lets get back to damning the idea of 300m being spent in the City, c'on people. Concentrate!

Why do you think that it's 'our' duty to house the homeless?
    It's a career choice for these people, nothing else!

not at all, systemic failure of the free market system. david mcwilliams wrote a great piece on it a couple of months ago in which i completely agree with him, but as others have said, its a discussion for another thread

not at all, systemic failure of the free market system. david mcwilliams wrote a great piece on it a couple of months ago in which i completely agree with him, but as others have said, its a discussion for another thread

If you are aware of a link to this piece you might post it please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

If this "investment" more like peanuts for vultures feeding on he last bits of carcass left around the country,
    Its a bailout for a Saudi company in trouble and all possibility it could come to a halt mid build and the taxpayer foot the bill to complete the project which will have rocketed to 900 million by then, sound familiar?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement