Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Clonakilty to Cork city

Options
  • 27-02-2017 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hello,

We are currently looking at properties in the Kinsale area but very little is coming up that appeals to us within our budget. We've always loved Clonakilty as well but thought that commuting to Cork city from there would be tough. Does anyone do this? Is it very tough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Depends on which side of Clonakilty but from the Cork side, it would take about a hour or more in the rush hour in the morning. The bottle neck is Innishannon.
    Lots of people do it, but try to beat that jam.
    I've lived in both Clon an Kinsale so I see the appeal (I do love both for different reasons) but for house prices they are both expensive compared to Bandon or anywhere else really.
    What about Riverstick/Belgooly? If you want closeness to Cork and proximity to Kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Where in Cork are you commuting to? What time do you start work?

It's a lovely area but if no grandparents etc in area I wouldn't do it. What about cobh?

No traffic clonakilty to viaduct is a 35 minute drive. Could add 15 with traffic. Could take thirty minutes to get to other side if ring road at the wrong time. I leave before seven and am at work in 50 minutes near Mahon point

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Cateym

Sesame wrote: »
    Depends on which side of Clonakilty but from the Cork side, it would take about a hour or more in the rush hour in the morning. The bottle neck is Innishannon.
    Lots of people do it, but try to beat that jam.
    I've lived in both Clon an Kinsale so I see the appeal (I do love both for different reasons) but for house prices they are both expensive compared to Bandon or anywhere else really.
    What about Riverstick/Belgooly? If you want closeness to Cork and proximity to Kinsale.

We are open to Riverstick and Belgooly but what we're looking for isn't coming up in those locations and rarely does. (We've been watching the market for the last few years). We've our eye on two houses. One North of Clonakilty and one between Kinsale and Innishannon. The value for money so much better in Clon but double the distance to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Cateym wrote: »
    We've our eye on two houses. One North of Clonakilty and one between Kinsale and Innishannon. The value for money so much better in Clon but double the distance to the city.

Between Kinsale and Innishannon would be a great location for the city. Nice countryside too, not sure about the air quality with proximity to chemical plant but something to consider!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

A certain amount depends on whether or not you have children and/or are likely to have children in the future. Issues like schools, childminding etc, then come into play as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

As others have said also, a certain amount depends on where in Cork you are commuting to. There are options when you approach Cork as to which directions or route you take, depending on where your final destination is.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Have a friend who commutes from outside Clon to Cork, every day. It's tough on the mornings she has to be at work for 9.00 but on the days when her hours are flexible, it's much easier as she can travel at times when traffic is not so chaotic. I would also agree that you can find routes, depending on where you are travelling to, that are less congested.

Advertisement