Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright - Netflix

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I had a quick look at the start of the film again.

On my first watch.. when they showed the wide view of the city, I noticed the dragon flying in the distance.

This time, after going through Elf town.. or whatever it's called..

when they get to the entrance of the police station .. I saw the Centaur :)

Subtle!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Slydice wrote: »
    I had a quick look at the start of the film again.

On my first watch.. when they showed the wide view of the city, I noticed the dragon flying in the distance.

This time, after going through Elf town.. or whatever it's called..

when they get to the entrance of the police station .. I saw the Centaur :)

Subtle!

Thought I saw that too but then there's a Centaur clear as day in "Orctown" where the LAPD are battering the two orcs Rodney King style.

I liked it, interesting idea but there's something slightly off about most Netlfix films, it's like they have a decent idea in theory but back themselves into a corner and then get stuck trying to get out. Which explains the ex machina at times in this.

I don't think Will Smith added much to the story either, not sure what his salary was but I'd imagine it took up a lot of the estimated 900m budget.

Still worth a watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,261 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They really should have put that short intro at the start of the film to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

pixelburp wrote: »
    LOL, jeez kerplunk get a grip; you're not the first person to love a film against the broader consensus of opinion, doesn't entitle you to flip out on me at the expense of a fairly straightforward point being made

Reading back on that, I can see my post came across far more aggressive than I intended. I'll also add that I was a tad bit stressed over the festive break and maybe it showed a little, anyhews, no excuses. so apologies for that.

And back on topic regarding Bright.
    I see your point, but I disagree slightly.
    I loved Harsh Times and End of Watch, so I liked the idea that this was a David Ayer cop film first, with the fantasy element almost serving as a backdrop, showing little subtle nodes to the likes of Dwarfs, Dragons and Centaurs. I also agree that this world has huge potential, but for me, the Smith/Edgerton relationship is why I was invested in it.

I totally see the point in peoples frustrations, the balance was slightly off, almost underplaying the fantasy element too much, but I'm guessing that was the idea, which for me, made it so intriguing. It's a nice clash of genres, and getting the balance right was always going to be tricky, something I am hoping they can address in the sequel.

I'd definitely back Ayer to return if he could convince Gyllenhaal to join and play a Centaur.... jk... :D

Sequel confirmed:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Shadowrun, loved that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Max Landis won't be returning apparently; no reason given but I'm guessing it's more fallout from accusations of harassment by him.

Ayer is pegged to fully write the script this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Reading some reports on this and one from Slash at the end where they mention the previously posted sequel announcement video.
    The David Ayer-directed, Max Landis-penned fantasy thriller premiered on Netflix on December 22, 2017 to abysmal reviews, with critics raking its clunky racial metaphors across the coals and some crowning Bright as one of the worst movies of the year. But that didn’t stop 11 million people from watching the movie in its first three days of release, nor did it stop Netflix’s obnoxiously aggressive social media ad campaign. Just watch the “hip” video it released to announce the sequel.

How edgy.

What a load of ****ing assholes, something is successful without our approval.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Max Landis won't be returning apparently; no reason given but I'm guessing it's more fallout from accusations of harassment by him.

Ayer is pegged to fully write the script this time around.

More than likely it's to do with the aforementioned squabble over Bright script itself, as there's not really been much noise over those allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In one particular scene we witness Will Smith brutally stomp a fairy to death, in the scene immediately following we have Smith telling his daughter that though all species may look different, we all just want the same thing and are equal in worth.... The screenplay sets this up without hint of irony.

An absolute mess of a movie.

He didn't want to do it, his wife told him to. Wives make the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Essentially watchable but it's total ****e.

There was a few nice bits. Noomi Rapace is a very convincing evil Elf lady.

The world just isn't very interesting.
    I might very much like an urban fantasy buddy cop show, but not just plonking it on top of a heavy handed racial relations setting and then giving everyone pointy ears.

You could have a film that draws parallels with modern race relations in the US by using fantasy races, but if you literally just make elves white people and orcs black people, right down to having the exact same stereotypes and the way they dress, what's the point?
    Also, you need to actually worldbuild to sell it. You can't just say, everything is the same except there are orcs, elves, magic and a dark lord.

Well produced in a technical sense with decent action and effects, decent cast but not well written or interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

Really enjoyed this...I admit the whole magic/orc/elves stuff took a bit of time to get used to in order to take seriously, but I admire what they did and feel this is the sort of movie I'm grateful we have Netflix for - it probably never would have gotten studio funding.

I loved the buddy cop quips from Smith and was surprised at just how epic it got towards the end. Overall highly original and very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Varik wrote: »

What a load of ****ing assholes, something is successful without our approval

Aye, that's the internet for you. Full of bitter and failed dick heads that can't stand it when something is successful in spite of their all important opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's the bar of success here though? We've no idea given it's uncharted blockbuster territory. It's interesting to compare something like Bright with the success of the Jumanji sequel. The latter had a modest budget and its runaway success is almost entirely attributed to positive press, and positive word of mouth from those who did go. Equally, with the box office, monetary success tends to equate to actual, literal footfall here. Good word of mouth needs to be good enough to actually get people to darken the doors of the cinema.

What of Bright though? Netflix famously won't release any viewer figures, though presumably they saw enough in the data of viewers (who finished the movie) to warrant a sequel. By all accounts it was its first, serious attempt at breaking the Blockbuster market, so it was always destined to get a lot of ink spent on its production & release. It was inevitable there would be a rubber-necking quality going on here; how many people tuned in out of blind curiosity - especially after the critical drubbing? Nothing is EVER as good or bad as hyperbole ever makes it seem. Same with myself: it wasn't as bad as some reviews suggested, but it was still a hot mess of a movie; good ideas struggling to move past the idiocy.

The bar of entry into streaming services is a different beast to the box-office metric after all, it's so easy to just tune-in, binge, watch about a dozen movies in your day - so where does the real sense of value or feedback come (and no, User reviews on aggregators are bullsh*t, proven thus by the reviewing bombing of Last Jedi, and the reported groups ready to do the same for Black Panther)? At least Jumanji had a quantifiable metric of viral-esque success. Netflix adds content by the shovelful and seems to be adopting a Blitzkrieg tactic of green-lighting or acquiring everything & anything in the hopes of another House of Cards level success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Watched this the other night.

Went it it with expectations set to 'Meh' and actually finished it quite happy. I'd never put it down as movie of the year, but honestly I loved the chemistry between Will Smith and Joel Edgerton.

The movie itself was a bit all over the place, and certainly felt like Bad Boys 4: Revenge of the Elves, but was overall very very enjoyable.

The music was good and the action was well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Thought it was pretty good and watchable, even the girlfriend got into it! there's a lot of plot holes and questions left but looking forward to the sequel possibly clearing them up. I'm all for a trilogy type setup as there's a huge backstory to work with and build towards

Alright. So.. to start.. Netflix have made an anime film spin-off Bright: Samurai Soul

Trailer is here - note this youtube video is in English but can be changed to Japanese with English Subtitles in it's settings

(Japanese with subs worked fine for me)

Anyway..

Gave it a watch. It's a slow 2 acts of story-and-world developing with some action but the action doesn't feel like "the point" the film wanted to make. The final act definitely wanted to make that point though! and it did! 😱

The overall big-story felt interlinked with the big-story of the film Bright itself..

I'd almost recommend a rewatch of the first film or a recap or something.. I definitely was after forgetting some of the first film. I remember it being hard to even keep up with the details of that one.

I watched the film with Japanese and Subs.. and the language felt right for the characters... but damn is it unforgiving, the characters speed through their lines at times and the subs disappear pretty quick.. so if you don't have time to stay glued to the screen.. Dubs might be worth it.. can't vouch for them though.

Advertisement