Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

N25 Killeagh to Castlemartyr - Will they raise the road?

• 27-02-2017 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭

I have no doubt that the majority of boards users who know this road are aware of the mayhem as regards the Killeagh roadworks - but I've been pondering..

Has TII or Cork County Council come up with a game plan as regards how they're going to deal with raising/resurfacing the road between Killeagh/Castlemartyr and the anticipated backlogs that will be caused when dealing with resurfacing Castlemartyr itself?

Come to think of it - TII and Cork Co Co had been planning on raising the main road shortly after the flooding receded. Whatever happened to that? Is it still going ahead or have they shelved the plan and left us with a shoddy road for the foreseeable future?

This is the most recent article I could find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They should just revive the Midleton - Youghal bypass scheme and be done with it. Midleton - Castlemartyr is way over capacity for a narrow(ish) S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭FGR

They should just revive the Midleton - Youghal bypass scheme and be done with it. Midleton - Castlemartyr is way over capacity for a narrow(ish) S2.

If they're not willing to build the m20 I reckon it will be next to impossible to get an investment in the n25. The only way we would see it is if we gained a Waterford or East Cork td on the front benches. I don't see either any time soon.

It's a shame as Killeagh and Castlemartyr would benedit greatly without the congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,250 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Really a major bottle neck on that route and easily the worst section of the N25 as well as one of the busiest. It's bizarre that's it's 2001 since we had any major progress (Youghal bypass) on that part of the N25, and seemingly no will or push to do it either.
    At the very least are they going to fully resurface it as it's just falling apart now in places (like something you'd see in Eastern Europe)?

Latest I've heard is that they're going to resurface the main road from killeagh to castlemartyr before then doing castlemartyr itself.

It's interesting how such little info exists online. Anyone any concrete info? It's already disappointing that traffic controls are back in place in killeagh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They'd want to be putting the N25 Midleton to Youghal dual carraigeway back into planning.

This is simply varnishing the deckchairs, two bypasses are badly needed here.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    They'd want to be putting the N25 Midleton to Youghal dual carraigeway back into planning.

This is simply varnishing the deckchairs, two bypasses are badly needed here.

I have a feeling I'll be a very old man by the time that comes around.

Had Transport21 had gone ahead (and we didn't go bust) this would be a very different country.

And my commute would take half the time! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭niloc1951

FGR wrote: »
    Latest I've heard is that they're going to resurface the main road from killeagh to castlemartyr before then doing castlemartyr itself.

It's interesting how such little info exists online. Anyone any concrete info? It's already disappointing that traffic controls are back in place in killeagh.

Noooooooooo, leave it as it is I couldn't face the disruption for the next ten years.

Back in January as I traveled to Rosslare I mentioned to my wife, as we queued to get through Killeagh, "this should be all over when we are making the return journey in June. How naive was I, it's still going on :eek:

How can fixing up a few hundred metres of road take so long, now must be ten months of digging and fixing and it still looks a long way from finished. Extrapolating what has happened/is happening in Killeagh to the rest of the N25 to the west end of Castlemartyr would seem to indicate it's at least a ten year project :rolleyes::mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Try driving through it twice a day 5 days a week stressful!!! We are all asking the same questions as you how can this take so long??

Valyawl wrote: »
    Try driving through it twice a day 5 days a week stressful!!! We are all asking the same questions as you how can this take so long??

You ask, how can it take so long??.
    The answer is simple:
    It's
    INCOMPETENCE
    Definition: inability to do something successfully; ineptitude.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is the stop/go system in place at Killeagh over the weekend?

Castlemartyr and Killeagh will be nuts tomorrow with all the traffic from Wexford and Waterford coming to the game. I can see a few people using the N72 via Fermoy to come as the N25 will be a holy show.

• Advertisement

Travelled through Killeagh mid afternoon Tuesday, traffic was relatively light.
    Got stopped by stop/go man as I approached from the Youghal side and was first in the queue.
    While I waited I had 8 minutes to observe the goings on which appeared to be a crew of three plus a mini-digger removing the road surface to expose what looked like a drain cover which had been covered over by the new surface :rolleyes:
    During the 8 minuted the oncoming traffic was sporadic and quite light but the stop/go man sat on his chair with his back to our side and not once did he check his queue, though he did have a walkie talkie.
    What is the point of paying these people and giving the communications tools if they function no better that automated lights :mad:

It would be very interesting to see the overrun of costs when this shambolically run project is finally finished, not to mind the commercial costs it has imposed on those forced to spend so many lost man hours sitting unproductively in its queues for the past year.

Speaking of all of this - the stop/go system was due to finish on the 11th.

Are they still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Are they still there?

I'll give you one guess :mad:

Are they still there?

Still there yesterday 14th plus the usual looooong queues :(:mad:

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Still there yesterday 14th plus the usual looooong queues :(:mad:

The smallest piece they are doing and the queues are huge. I came in from The Mogeely side last week, didn't even get in to the town boundary. Didn't move so I turned around and went back through Tallow. There was some amount of cars coming against me.

Roanmore wrote: »
    The smallest piece they are doing and the queues are huge. I came in from The Mogeely side last week, didn't even get in to the town boundary. Didn't move so I turned around and went back through Tallow. There was some amount of cars coming against me.

I think the problem and the cause of such long queues is the length of 'stop' time, with the volume of traffic on the N25 seven or eight minutes is far to long, particularly when the single lane section is only a few hundred metres.
    A three minute 'stop' would keep the traffic flowing far better and reduce the length of the queue.

The poor level of management of the traffic flow is but just one more example of the ineptitude or the 'couldn't care less about those trying to go about their business' attitude of those in charge of the project .

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been through it myself since and I'm surprised that it's still going on.

They'll have to give us all a break before moving to Castlemartyr. It would be nice to have a little normality - and I can't believe I'm saying this but..even with the rubbish road between the two villages.

Just went through it there today - now they're resurfacing the road when you leave the village heading towards Castlemartyr.

Please tell me if they're doing this bit that they won't just stop abruptly. They may as well just carry on and at least get that incredibly rough bit fixed.

Just went through it there today - now they're resurfacing the road when you leave the village heading towards Castlemartyr.

Please tell me if they're doing this bit that they won't just stop abruptly. They may as well just carry on and at least get that incredibly rough bit fixed.

They're going back in to the village back towards Youghal, putting down the final layer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

With traffic levels of 16,000+ PCUs/day <link>, this road should surely be getting a motorway (M25 Midleton to Youghal).

P.S. - the data page has 'Midleton' as 'Midelton', but as per both GM and OSM, it is 'Midleton'!

• Advertisement

Middle Man wrote: »
    With traffic levels of 16,000+ PCUs/day <link>, this road should surely be getting a motorway (M25 Midleton to Youghal).

P.S. - the data page has 'Midleton' as 'Midelton', but as per both GM and OSM, it is 'Midleton'!

Ya, it's one of the shelved projects, it's on a really high shelf probably out of reach of the m@@r@ns at TII.

Advertisement