Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTMA's Word Press hosted site hacked, among many yesterday

Options
  • 07-02-2017 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

ntma.ie - the National Treasury Management Agency's website, which was hacked yesterday is running on WordPress!

https://builtwith.com/ntma.ie

A grossly insecure platform - especially many of the addons available, which is designed for personal blogging and similar.

https://builtwith.com/ntma.ie

How many Irish government departments and agencies rely on WordPress?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Given that it's basically just a brochure site, I don't see the problem using Wordpress. Granted, they should have been keeping up with patching WP & plugins, but it being 'hacked' is basically like someone pulling a poster down, it's not that big of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

On some months, there can be over a thousand Irish hosted websites compromised. The owners are often unaware as they have outsourced their web development as a one-off deal and didn't get a maintenance contract to keep their site and plugins updated. Most of them are Wordpress installations and the most common compromise is link injections which are not visible to human visitors but are visible to search engines. Defacements are not as common as five or ten years ago.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

"Hack" in this instance isn't entirely accurate i don't think, essentially all that happened was a page was edited with a anti-ISIS/pro kurdish political message.

Wasn't a targetted attack on NTMA either, they were just unlucky to be fair. I'd take more of an issue with the site being over HTTP than anything

Advertisement