Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Manual v automatic

Options
  • 06-02-2017 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

I have a dilemma, Manual car with 12500 km or its equivalent in Automatic with 60000 km, both same price and year. Help:(

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

almost 5 times as much milage on the auto,

what year are they? they must be fairly recent is the manual only has 12,500 km on it! that could indicate the auto has been constantly on the road! maybe an ex rental? company car?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Would seem to be a no brainer. What kind of car is . Are you doing many miles daily/weekly? Do you do much city driving?. All to be considered in your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SteM

Manuel? I know nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

tomred1 wrote: »
    I have a dilemma, Manual car with 12500 km or its equivalent in Automatic with 60000 km, both same price and year. Help:(

A properly maintained car is what you want. 60k isn't that much if it's had the proper maintenance done, 12k if more than a year old could mean that maintenance hasn't been done. Buy on condition.

Or else find a lower mileage auto, because auto is best ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

What type of car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Manuel is now Manual

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Both are almost new

Unless the used gearbox is problematic or unpleasant, I'd go for the auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

There should be a major difference price considering the mileage. Either one is very expensive or one is very cheap. :confused:

millington wrote: »
    There should be a major difference price considering the mileage. Either one is very expensive or one is very cheap. :confused:

Firstly, there typically is a couple of thousand difference when upgrading to automatic.
    Secondly, the car deteriorates more with age than with mileage... I'l rather have a 1-year-old 60kkm than 3-year-old 20kkm car.

So why do you think there should be big price difference? I think that if they are both 1 year old, the price reflects the mileage quiet well..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Probably couldn't' bring themselves to drive any more with the manual - unless you're buying a GT3RS or an M2, look for an Autobox.

Depending on the car, not having an auto will kill resale for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Thanks for replies, I preferred the drive of the auto, it's just the mileage difference Holding me back, both are 2015.

Probably couldn't' bring themselves to drive any more with the manual - unless you're buying a GT3RS or an M2, look for an Autobox.

Depending on the car, not having an auto will kill resale for a lot of people.

But majority will still see an automatic gearbox through 'another-thing-that-make-brake-down' glasses. They tend to forget that a hydraulic box makes the DMF and clutch invisible ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Thanks for replies, I preferred the drive of the auto, it's just the mileage difference Holding me back, both are 2015.

What make of car is it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

both are 2015.

what engines have they got?

If the automatic was serviced at the dealer - should have two services by now - it would be a no-brainier for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This thread is like pulling teeth. Without knowing what make, model, fuel type it's hard to give any proper answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bazz26 wrote: »
    This thread is like pulling teeth. Without knowing what make, model, fuel type it's hard to give any proper answer.

It's bizarre. It's impossible to make a recommendation without more information. e.g Depending on the box, that auto could possibly have been due a fluid change over 10k km ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If it's a small hatchback then chances are the auto version is ex-rental but seeing as the make/model appears to be a secret then we'll never really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It is impossible to answer this question when we have no idea about what cars the OP is interested in!

Some cars work better with automatics, others are much better suited to manual gearboxes. Generally I prefer autos in diesels and manuals for petrols.

I'm thinking about buying a blue car. What do people think. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭queueeye

Manual windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Blue cars are good but everyone knows that red cars are faster. Stay away from black cars because you'll never keep it clean. Everyone is driving white cars so don't buy that either. I recommend a brown car, there aren't enough brown cars on the road these days.

Blue cars are good but everyone knows that red cars are faster. Stay away from black cars because you'll never keep it clean. Everyone is driving white cars so don't buy that either. I recommend a brown car, there aren't enough brown cars on the road these days.

JESUS now I'm even more confused. :)

queueeye wrote: »
    Manual windows?

No manuel

Advertisement