Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

first time trading in

Options
  • 02-02-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just looking for a little guidance. I have loan approval for a new car and I am looking to trade in a VW Golf it's 2006 and has nct until September, it has high mileage 240 thousand kms on the clock. How much would it be worth as a trade in against an eleven grand car? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Totally depends on how much the newer car ows the dealer, how well priced it is against similar cars elsewhere and what they think they can sell your old car on for. A main dealer wouldn't sell it on as it's too old so they will sell it to the trade (smaller independent motor traders or mechanics who sell on cars). This means they will give you very little for your Golf.

Also focus on the cost to change price rather than the car's trade in value. For example Dealer A gives you 3k for the Golf against the 11k car so wants 7k from you while Dealer B gives you 2.5k against a very similar car he is looking 10k for which means he wants 6.5k from you with your Golf. Dealer B is giving you the better deal despite giving you a lower trade in price for the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If possible sell your own car privately that way you are a straight cash buyer and can demand a better discount than when trading a car where you will get zero discount and they will simply deduct any implied discount from the value they are giving you for your trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Thank ye for taking the time to reply. Bazz26 yes I know what you mean alright I couldn't really see the car I am trading in sitting in a car showroom of a main dealer. It's a Peugeot 208 I'm looking to buy when I see the right one I've always thought them lovely and my father has one from 2007 so I'm familiar with them.
    Ceejaycee I don't really want to go down the route of selling it privately as I wouldn't be too confident with people calling to view it and bargaining on price etc but thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

You may want to consider that Peugeot is currently offering €3000 Scrappage Allowance on the 208.

Advertisement