Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked car?

Options
  • 30-01-2017 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all. I bought a 2011 Megane Estate last week with 70k kms on it. Salesman willingly gave me a copy of the motorcheck report for the car and told me that any cars they get in with mileage issues go straight to auction. I was browsing the paperwork earlier and noticed that the mileage was recorded at 102k kms in March 2015! Is there a chance the previous owner recorded the mileage in 'miles' and this might have caused the problem? The Salesman mentioned that this happens at times but said that when it does, the car goes to auction as the car will always be under suspicion. Either way he obviously didn't check the report before selling to me as if he had, it would have been picked up... Mileage of 102k on a 6 year old car isn't high so I *think* it's unlikely to have been clocked but maybe I'm gullible! Car is in perfect nick too. I'm contacting them in the morning. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How does the service history look?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭westtipp

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How does the service history look?

Good point - it has a full history. Was serviced in April 2015 @ 41K km. Scratching my head here??!!

Verify the service history with the garage that did the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Something smells rotten about the whole thing. Does the ECU in those cars record mileage?

You said perhaps the previous owner recorded the mileage in miles but why the previous owner record anything? The service record is maintained by the garage servicing the car. They record the numbers showing on the odometer, they may put miles down instead of kms but that shouldn't alter the actual digits so in 2015 the odometer read 102XXX kms and now it reads 70k kms. It's been clocked and if the dealer tries to spin you a different story I'd report them for fraud, he knows fine well it's been clocked and he was too dumb to spot it in a report he had in his possession.

I'd demand a refund or a sizeable cash compensation to keep their clocked car.

The mileage entered was probably on the NCT? Being 4 years old at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,263 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are there paper receipts indicating the service history, these should have the mileage on them and tally with the service book.

Verify the service history with the garage that did the work.

Will do. Previous service Apr 14 was done at 25k and Apr 13 was 15k . All work done by main dealer. Will ring him tomorrow. Cheers.

Are there paper receipts indicating the service history, these should have the mileage on them and tally with the service book.

No receipts. Just stamped history in book.

The mileage entered was probably on the NCT? Being 4 years old at the time?
    True. Didn't get the NCT from dealer. Can I request mileage from the NCTS?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Doesn't say much for the credibility or expertise of the garage staff if they are buying in these clocked cars regularly. Are they not doing any background checks themselves? I can understand that they might get burnt on occasion but if it's happening regularly enough that they are just fobbing them off to auction and openingly telling a customer it does ask the question of what sort of screening are they doing themselves or who are they buying cars from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

westtipp wrote: »
    True. Didn't get the NCT from dealer. Can I request mileage from the NCTS?

is it not on the windscreen disc ? or is that only commercials

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

Hi all. I bought a 2011 Megane Estate last week with 70k kms on it. Salesman willingly gave me a copy of the motorcheck report for the car and told me that any cars they get in with mileage issues go straight to auction. I was browsing the paperwork earlier and noticed that the mileage was recorded at 102k kms in March 2015! Is there a chance the previous owner recorded the mileage in 'miles' and this might have caused the problem? The Salesman mentioned that this happens at times but said that when it does, the car goes to auction as the car will always be under suspicion. Either way he obviously didn't check the report before selling to me as if he had, it would have been picked up... Mileage of 102k on a 6 year old car isn't high so I *think* it's unlikely to have been clocked but maybe I'm gullible! Car is in perfect nick too. I'm contacting them in the morning. What should I do?

How much would a car like this cost?

orm0nd wrote: »
    is it not on the windscreen disc ? or is that only commercials
    Not on mine anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 81,263 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not on mine anyway

That's odd, if it has a valid NCT the mileage should be on it as they have been printing the mileage on them since July 2014 so for the 2015 NCT the car had should have had mileage added...

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/NCT/Odometer-Readings-and-Verification-/

That's odd, if it has a valid NCT the mileage should be on it as they have been printing the mileage on them since July 2014 so for the 2015 NCT the car had should have had mileage added...

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/NCT/Odometer-Readings-and-Verification-/
    You're right. NCT disc shows 42k 😱

kala85 wrote: »
    How much would a car like this cost?

You're right. NCT disc shows 42k 😱
    So either it's a mistake, or they clocked it before the NCT. Time for a refund methinks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Send service records to Motorcheck and they check them out for you and update the report. They did this for me last year on a car I was buying privately. Mistakes do happen as some of the mileage reading they have are entered by people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

All the usual signs suggest that the mileage on the car is genuine apart from one mileage entry.

To me that suggests that by far the most likely scenario here is that someone entered the mileage and selected miles instead of km by mistake.

Advising the OP to "demand a refund" or "sizeable compensation" is pretty ill advised at this point IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

All the usual signs suggest that the mileage on the car is genuine apart from one mileage entry.

To me that suggests that by far the most likely scenario here is that someone entered the mileage and selected miles instead of km by mistake.

Advising the OP to "demand a refund" or "sizeable compensation" is pretty ill advised at this point IMO.

Agreed. Typical overreaction towards dealers that you see regularly on here.

More than likely a small error I would have thought, but no the best thing to do is attack the dealer and look for a refund. :confused:

• Advertisement

UPDATE: Contacted dealer this morning who said it was a mistake. He spoke to the NMR to see if the report could be corrected. Meanwhile I contacted the main dealer who verified the service history. The NCT test further cemented the mileage authenticity. 
    Received a new history report a short while ago complete with the correct information so all's well that ends well.
    Thanks to all for your advice.

Advertisement