Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought this was fairly well flagged, Mark Bonnar should be the next doctor - younger and Scottish I think he'd do it with a hint of edgy danger. Actually they'll regenerate the Dr as a woman I expect - black, Muslim and gay with a limp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That seems a shame. Can see the logic with the changeover to a new producer I guess, but could have happily watched plenty mow adventures with Capaldi.

My only wish now is that thw BBC don't milk the replacements announcement into a big show like last time. It'd be more exciting to have it remain a secret until the regeneration itself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Much as I love PC as a person, I never truly warmed to him as the Doctor.

As always, I shall be lobbying for a ginger regeneration. Relatively unknown actor, please and thank you.

Although considering who's taking over the reins I forsee a period of not caring too much, though I'll still watch. If you watch the TV movie, you'll watch anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Capaldi was grand but episodes have been so-so as of late.. so been more difficult to really enjoy his performance.

Though Heaven Sent was incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I thought this was fairly well flagged, Mark Bonnar should be the next doctor - younger and Scottish I think he'd do it with a hint of edgy danger. Actually they'll regenerate the Dr as a woman I expect - black, Muslim and gay with a limp
    If they went with Mark Bonnar we'd have another case of
    The Doctor: Have you seen this face before?
    Barney (Brian Miller): No.
    The Doctor: Are you sure?
    Barney: Sir, I have never seen that face.
    The Doctor: It’s funny because I’m sure that I have. You know, I never know where the faces come from. They just pop up.

He was in The Almost People and The Rebel Flesh way back in Seaon 6. I'd like them to one of 2 ways with it someone completely unknown or someone that we've seen but wouldn't have thought of them for the part like maybe Stephen Fry someone like that.

• Advertisement

A bit like the Bill - often a cop would have been in a previous episode as a scangery villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Isn't there talk of the lanky lad coming back? Regeneration back to Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

A bit like the Bill - often a cop would have been in a previous episode as a scangery villain

Nearly everybody who died on casualty died more than once. Some are unfortunate to die many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

But can you really keep it quite till it happens? The reason they announce it is to avoid some paper/website giving it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I like Capaldi but I never loved him as the Dr, Be great to see Smith come back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No, Smith is not coming back, random journos picking up on him saying would he come back if asked to which he answered yes, but not understanding Doctors come back all the time guest staring with their newer versions.

I will miss Capaldi's Doctor but if he wants to be reprising old characters I think the world needs Malcolm Tucker a lot more right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But can you really keep it quite till it happens? The reason they announce it is to avoid some paper/website giving it away.

I see no reason why they couldn't keep it a secret, if they made some sensible precautions. The regeneration will undoubtedly happen in the TARDIS, so there's a quiet, private indoor shoot right there. A few NDAs for the production crew should keep lips & social media feeds closed.

Just for once it'd be so nice to watch a TV show with a genuine, sudden surprise that wasn't pre-spoiled by set spies, press releases, or hyperbolic announcement shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I thought Capaldi had the ability to turn average scripts into good ones with his acting ability. One of my favourite doctors.

Smith was very average, but he was'nt helped by scripts that tried to be too clever. He did'nt have many classics.

Oh look - the guardian is on point! :pac:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/31/doctor-who-new-time-lord-woman-peter-capaldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ah no,

I quite liked him as The Doctor. :(

Shame.

One-step closer to my appearance!!!!

That article has to be the biggest load of sh*te I've read in a while. Jaysus, is there no PC banner The Guardian will not raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As I've said elsewhere, if it has to be a woman I support Hayley Atwell.

I would love the regeneration to be a surprise. As it's the final episode of the season or the Christmas episode, it's not entirely impossible. Keep the filming of the regeneration scene closed to only the limited number of people required. Then if it needs to be previewed or anthing, show the rest of the episode but save the ending for the actual tv airing. I know spoilers for US shows don;t leak as bad becuse they're filmed closer to airing time, but no reason this has to leak.

Remember when Capaldi('s eyes) appeared in Day of the Doctor or Jenna's debut in Asylum of the Daleks. I didn't know they were coming.
    Or when Tennant began regenerating only to transfer the energy into his hand. Was genuinely excited that this was a well kept secret regeneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Stephen Mangan tweeted what appeared should have been a DM hinting that he is in the running but Cardiff is awkward and that he is meeting someone on Monday for talks. I thought he was just doing it as a wind up, but he deleted the tweet 10 minutes later.

Edit: He said he was due to talk to Chris C on Monday, who is presumably Chris Chibnall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Daniel Rigby could be a good shout

I didn't read the above Guardian article, but I can imagine the levels of pontification being pretty high, and that's speaking as a Guardian reader. It's a good paper that performs noble journalistic feats, but it can be pretty insufferable when it wants to be.

As for a female Doctor, I think there is an argument to be made for swapping the gender, and it's not like canon hasn't established that very possibility, but I honestly believe the character does more good work as a male role-model.

There are precious few male heroes in pop culture for whom violence isn't their modus operandi, or aren't some swaggering alpha male. Scripts by Eric Saward notwithstanding, the Doctor is an emboldening hero of science, and I like the idea of him as a male role-model, depressingly still the exception to the rule that the heroic man is all stubbornness and aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

pixelburp wrote: »
    I didn't read the above Guardian article, but I can imagine the levels of pontification being pretty high, and that's speaking as a Guardian reader. It's a good paper that performs noble journalistic feats, but it can be pretty insufferable when it wants to be.

As for a female Doctor, I think there is an argument to be made for swapping the gender, and it's not like canon hasn't established that very possibility, but I honestly believe the character does more good work as a male role-model.

There are precious few male heroes in pop culture for whom violence isn't their modus operandi, or aren't some swaggering alpha male. Scripts by Eric Saward notwithstanding, the Doctor is an emboldening hero of science, and I like the idea of him as a male role-model, depressingly still the exception to the rule that the heroic man is all stubbornness and aggression.

Honestly my big fear about swapping to a female Doctor is that they'll just do it for the sake of it and to be "PC".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Fully expected I think. Tennant was 3 seasons and Matt Smith was also 3 seasons afaik. I personally liked him, quirky split second scenes. It's a good time for the series with the return of Gallifrey and the Time Lords.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

campo wrote: »
    I like Capaldi but I never loved him as the Dr, Be great to see Smith come back

Never took to Capaldi's Doctor prefer Tennant

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Honestly my big fear about swapping to a female Doctor is that they'll just do it for the sake of it and to be "PC".

How would you even know if they did? :)

I mean the only baseline for the 'right' casting of the Doctor is finding someone with that special kind of eccentric charisma or energy, where the actor essentially injects some of their own personality into the role. The gender becomes somewhat academic then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

pixelburp wrote: »
    How would you even know if they did? :)

I mean the only baseline for the 'right' casting of the Doctor is finding someone with that special kind of eccentric charisma or energy, where the actor essentially injects some of their own personality into the role. The gender becomes somewhat academic then.

I suppose you will be able to tell from the scripts. If the character is fundamentally the same only played by a female actor, then there's no problem. But if they overlabour it with "when I was a man I would have done this but now I'm a woman so I do things differently" messages, then it might lose something. The latter does a real disservice to female actresses IMO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You left out Irish, as per the Guardian again how about Ruth Negga?

Personally, I took quite a few episodes before warming to Capaldi but am now quite enjoying him and have re-watched a number of the episodes. If it was my choice for the next Doctor it would be David Thewlis without a doubt. Couldn't be doing with Ayoade much as I loved him in the IT crowd and the Boosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't understand why so many people like the idea of Aziz playing The Doctor. I think he's pretty damn funny, but doesn't seem to fit the character of the Doctor at all.

http://news.sky.com/story/doctor-who-tilda-swinton-is-bookies-favourite-to-be-next-tv-time-lord-10770214

Tilda Swinton from Doctor Strange odds on favourite.

Forgot....white men bad and evil. Have to have woman in male role, cause it's progress apparently.

No chance anyone that famous would take on a full time, ambassadorial role like the Doctor. Eccleston and Capaldi were well enough known sure, but far from the Hollywood royalty someone like Swinton would be.

As I tend to think though in these situations, it shows the power of the show that she's a legitimate bet in the eyes of the bookies; when the relaunch was still an unknown, tabloids talked of the likes of Phil Daniels or David Hasslehoff as contenders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭tritium

http://news.sky.com/story/doctor-who-tilda-swinton-is-bookies-favourite-to-be-next-tv-time-lord-10770214

Tilda Swinton from Doctor Strange odds on favourite.

Forgot....white men bad and evil. Have to have woman in male role, cause it's progress apparently.

The idea annoys me because frankly it sends out a pretty poor message to a group that more than ever need an intellectual role model. Its one of those things that makes no sense to do just because you can.

Im assuming if this does happen then the doctors assistant, who in recent seasons has somewhat upgraded to someone who often is the doctors salvation, will become a strong clever independent male role rather than another loveable bumbling Rory? (Like hell it will)

Advertisement