Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Van: help Needed!

Options
  • 30-01-2017 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So I'm looking to get my first car or van I should say. Been leaning towards a 1.2 corsa van or 1.4 fiesta van, to keep insurance down.
    Just want to know if a 1.2 engine is strong enough for work. I'm out the country and working on site means a lot of commuting. I'm only an apprentice so there won't be too much in the back but there's bound to be days where I have a lot to bring.

Is a 1.2 reasonable outside of a City?
    Should I look to get something more Powerful?
    Any experience with the cars mentioned or any recommendations?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 1.3 in the corsa is ok. Certainly more nippy than a 1.2 petrol. It has a little burst of power that you can master getting the most out of it.

I'm a fan of the Hyundai Accent van if you're on a budget. The 1.5 CRDI is a nice torquey engine and you can get them cheap.

A lot of corsa fans are very basic spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is insurance and tax becoming an issue on these type car vans these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jamesr1234

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 1.3 in the corsa is ok. Certainly more nippy than a 1.2 petrol. It has a little burst of power that you can master getting the most out of it.

I'm a fan of the Hyundai Accent van if you're on a budget. The 1.5 CRDI is a nice torquey engine and you can get them cheap.

A lot of corsa fans are very basic spec.

They're nice but I haven't came across many. Everyone says the 1.3 Corsa is ok, doesn't fill you with confidence. There's one in a garage nearby, solid car, 1 year warranty. I see better vans around the country but what I'm hearing from people is that a warranty is no good if your 2-3 hours away, would you Agree?

Then there's the option of buying privately, I've a few reservations about that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wh ats your budget?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wh ats your budget?

Under €6000

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is insurance and tax becoming an issue on these type car vans these days?

From what Ive heard from insurance companies they seem reasonable. I taught commercial tax is the same for evwry vehicle @ €333

Advertisement