Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Under pressure to attempt to take the full driving test, just want the provisional

Options
  • 30-01-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys,

This is more looking for general advice rather than a personal issue so mods please feel free to move the thread.

My 2nd provisional licence is nearly 2 years out of date & before I can apply for a 3rd provisional licence I must sit a full driving test.

Once the 2 years pass you must sit & repass the theory test.. which obviously I want to avoid..

I’ve no need to drive & I’ve no time to take driving lessons to pass the full driving test before April it’s a very busy period of my life at the mo, but obviously I don’t want to lose my provisional licence just in case I want to take up driving in a few years time

So I’m wondering do I just take my full driving test & fail on purpose giving that I don’t have the time to try & pass before April ? Would a driving instructor just hand me a form to say that I’ve took the test so that I can hand it into the motor office when applying for my 3rd provisional etc ?

Is there much waiting lists to take the full driving test etc ?

Any advice is very much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

If you dont want to do the test just now then dont. You're not actually driving at the minute so it's not going to affect you're life right now at all.
    When you're ready just redo the theory test. It's no big deal, I did mine twice!
    Figure it all out when you're good and ready to learn to drive and don't stress about for now.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You just have to apply for the test for a 3rd learners permit. Say you are unavailable for as long as possible and IIRC you can cancel twice without issue.

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply/learner-permit.html#renewal-of-a-learner-permit

Think that you only get a one year permit for the 3rd and subsequent, so resitting the theory would be cheaper than paying for a test you don't intend to do. The only reason I would go the book test and cancel is if you don't need to do EDT, but even then you'll still need to pay for lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do you even want the license? I'm perplexed

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kaahee174

Del2005 wrote: »
    You just have to apply for the test for a 3rd learners permit. Say you are unavailable for as long as possible and IIRC you can cancel twice without issue.

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply/learner-permit.html#renewal-of-a-learner-permit

Think that you only get a one year permit for the 3rd and subsequent, so resitting the theory would be cheaper than paying for a test you don't intend to do. The only reason I would go the book test and cancel is if you don't need to do EDT, but even then you'll still need to pay for lessons.

Ah okay I see thank you for the suggestion :)

Yeah it's the EDT too.. I passed my theory test a week before the new EDT rules came into play.. so if I lost my provisional, had to repass the theory, then I would also have to take up the EDT lessons before sitting the full test, which of course is an extra pain & more money

listermint wrote: »
    Do you even want the license? I'm perplexed

It's mainly so I don't have to sit the EDT lessons before sitting the full driving test.

Got my provisional before those mandatory EDT lessons came into place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I would say just do your test now. Im sure the longer you leave it the more restrictive the rules will become over time - as you have seen.

"If applying for a third or subsequent Learner permit documentary evidence must be submitted that you have either sat a driving test (statement of driving test outcome) or an acknowledgement of a forthcoming test"

Grand so I'll just book one & then cancel it when I receive the new provisional happy days thanks guys :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Moved to the appropriate forum - Learning to Drive charter now applies :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Kaahee174 wrote: »
    It's mainly so I don't have to sit the EDT lessons before sitting the full driving test.

Got my provisional before those mandatory EDT lessons came into place

I find this a little confusing.

if you are not confident of being able to sit the test now, why are you attempting to obtain a re-issue of your permit to avoid having to take lessons that a structured in a way to cover what's expected to pass the test?

Does anyone know if I can drop in the learner permit form anywhere else besides a NDLS centre ? They're aren't that many of them

Or if I want to physically hand the form in does it have to be into an NDLS centre ?

I want to pay by cash rather than card or cheque.

Also what exactly is deemed "an acknowledgement of a forthcoming test" ? Would this just be an email printout confirming the date of the forthcoming test or would I need a letter signed & dated or ??

Any advice would be great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Does anyone know if I can drop in the learner permit form anywhere else besides a NDLS centre ? They're aren't that many of them

Or if I want to physically hand the form in does it have to be into an NDLS centre ?

I want to pay by cash rather than card or cheque.

Also what exactly is deemed "an acknowledgement of a forthcoming test" ? Would this just be an email printout confirming the date of the forthcoming test or would I need a letter signed & dated or ??

Any advice would be great :)

Unless you have a credit card style permit you need to go to the NDLS to get your picture taken. I'd assume that the email confirmation will do.

When you eventually start driving you are going to need lessons regularless and if you've never driven then it won't be much less than the 12 EDT. If you can't afford 12 EDT lessons you most definitely won't be able to afford to run a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

OP have you ever driven since getting your first provisional? Im a bit confused why you are going to attempt the test just to fail it. Would you not just try pass it first time and then you are done with it? No more driving test, no more theory test, no more lessons and no more stress.

I have had my full licence before all these new rules about getting lessons beforehand came out so I am unsure about the exact requirements. If you are exempt from the lessons, then I would still advise you do a couple and just try pass the test first time. If you are not exempt from it, there is no point rushing into anything now and if you decide you want to drive in a few years time, just do the theory test again because it makes no difference either way.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 redline2015

Hi guys,

This is more looking for general advice rather than a personal issue so mods please feel free to move the thread.

My 2nd provisional licence is nearly 2 years out of date & before I can apply for a 3rd provisional licence I must sit a full driving test.

Once the 2 years pass you must sit & repass the theory test.. which obviously I want to avoid..

I’ve no need to drive & I’ve no time to take driving lessons to pass the full driving test before April it’s a very busy period of my life at the mo, but obviously I don’t want to lose my provisional licence just in case I want to take up driving in a few years time

So I’m wondering do I just take my full driving test & fail on purpose giving that I don’t have the time to try & pass before April ? Would a driving instructor just hand me a form to say that I’ve took the test so that I can hand it into the motor office when applying for my 3rd provisional etc ?

Is there much waiting lists to take the full driving test etc ?

Any advice is very much appreciated :)

You don't have to renew your permit if your not in the position to drive or do lessons,
    You will still stay on the old rules...IE no EDT and you won't Have to do you theory test again.
    PROVIDED that you renew your permit before....... 5 year .....on date of expiry of your last permit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless you have a credit card style permit you need to go to the NDLS to get your picture taken.

Unless you receive a postal application pack from the NDLS, you will have to attend the NDLS centre. Only drivers under certain circumstances will receive the pre-filled out postal application pack.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Your learner permit must be 5 years or more out of date before you have to resist the theory and then have to do EDT

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

"If applying for a third or subsequent Learner permit documentary evidence must be submitted that you have either sat a driving test (statement of driving test outcome) or an acknowledgement of a forthcoming test"

Grand so I'll just book one & then cancel it when I receive the new provisional happy days thanks guys :)

Don't cancel, ring them and tell them to put it off as long as possible, repeat that a couple of times and you can get a few renewals out of the one fee.

You don't have to renew your permit if your not in the position to drive or do lessons,
    You will still stay on the old rules...IE no EDT and you won't Have to do you theory test again.
    PROVIDED that you renew your permit before....... 5 year .....on date of expiry of your last permit

Where did you get 5 years from ??

I always thought it was 2 years, regardless of whether you passed the theory before or after the EDT rules came in ??

Can you point me out to a link ? I've had a look on NDSL site & can't find anything that suggests I've 5 years instead of 2

• Registered Users Posts: 45 redline2015

Where did you get 5 years from ??

I always thought it was 2 years, regardless of whether you passed the theory before or after the EDT rules came in ??

Can you point me out to a link ? I've had a look on NDSL site & can't find anything that suggests I've 5 years instead of 2

First long paragraph
    https://www.ndls.ie/about-the-learner-permit

Advertisement