Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Look, we made our own ads, buy our stuff!

Options
  • 29-01-2017 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭

VW has to be of the best PR and marketing machines out there. They consistently spend big money hiring clever marketeers who give the brand an identity and an almost universal right-on image.

Now VW Ireland have produced a few clangers. I don't know how many of you remember the "Polo for sale, phone Mick Lafferty, howsa going mammy!" radio ad from a few years back, but occasionally they'll put out an ill-conceived ad that cancels out all the slick international advertising and huge investment in dealer infrastructure.

Imagine my delight when Frank Keanes bunch of merry men (and wimmen) started to bombard my YouTube videos with their efforts. Ive seen better acting in Nativity plays, and while the employees involved are probably nice decent people, this campaign portrays them as smug, pushy and slightly creepy.

'But it's only a bit of craic, at least they're putting themselves out there' I hear you say. Maybe so, but I am certain I would avoid the dealerships in question if it was a choice between them and any other VW dealer.

Anyway, enough ranting, I'll let the videos speak for themselves:

https://youtu.be/iPO-TpwgtO0

https://youtu.be/qMxn5pTp0t0

https://youtu.be/lNNyDyhOdvg

https://youtu.be/lNNyDyhOdvg

https://youtu.be/zG2LESb4ihk

What do you think of these videos? 20 votes

Love
    0% 0 votes
    Meh
    15% 3 votes
    Hate
    30% 6 votes
    What's a Frank Keane?
    55% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wonder can I get on to the BAI , The service I received there was absolutely nowhere near what the ad represents. Could barely even get a price on a build, let alone a coffee or pillow of keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Couldnt be as ****e as the service I'm getting off Frank Hogans right now.

NEVER AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Patww79 wrote: »

i think its like a metaphor thing "Volkswagen dealers - once we pop the bonnet, you're getting f*cked"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Never seen them until now they are shockingly bad TBH. Although before even seeing them that stupid sign writing they put on the back of their cars would be enough to put me off them. I know you can remove it but that's not the point how they think that's acceptable to put on the back of their cars no one minds a sticker in the back of the window but literally sign writing is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Why would you inflict these on me? Had to drop halfway through the second one, I was cringing so hard my whole body hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Why would you inflict these on me? Had to drop halfway through the second one, I was cringing so hard my whole body hurts.

Same as that, I ground my way through the first 2 and gave up. Terrible terrible stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That's good. I think the petrol engine in that model went the same way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Christ a bicycle of all things, I knew by the head on her she was mad for a ride but I certainly didn't see that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Polishing his helmet in the last video, a step too far. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Mech1 wrote: »
    Polishing his helmet in the last video, a step too far. LOL.

I actually laughed at that one, they redeemed themselves ever so slightly for that bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Dire. Are those ads meant to encourage us to go into Frank Keane to buy cars ?. Ads must have been made by fiat or opel so..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

and thus the power of marketing is working ... their ads (however bad they are) are now being reposted and shared to a wider audience ... being discussed and debated all the while the company name is being mentioned.

That is what advertising people want .. you might laugh about it and say you have no interest in it but there are plenty who would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Aye - pretty awful. But still not as bad as the VW radio ads over the last 10 years. Mindnumblingly moronic. I still cringe over the "Nervous Norm" ad from about 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Some good ones here also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Did he drive out with the sales lady on the first video, suppose that wouldnt be a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Did he drive out with the sales lady on the first video, suppose that wouldnt be a bad deal.

Yeah, that ones a bit confusing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement