Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query household alarm!

Options
  • 29-01-2017 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Built my house 8 years ago now and boards was a great help at the time, I blogged about the process on here and a blog.

Had the house fully wired at the time all connectors on windows and doors just never got it commissioned. They are calling next week to do same, it's €510.

My question is I don't have a phone line and the guy tells me it will only be a local alarm so will alert nearby houses is there anyway I can get notified on mobile or other form of alarm goes off as we are away quite a bit?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most good systems can be self monitored via IP and/or GSM.
    What system are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Hi kool kid system is in existence 8 years but never used, was installed by Burgolarm was €2.5k at the time so I assume it was a decent system just never commissioned it. I know very little about alarms the control panel that does not have power yet says secure watch HKC!?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So is it all connected up?
    If so whats the €510 charge for?

KoolKid wrote: »
    So is it all connected up?
    If so whats the €510 charge for?

To put power to it and set up the zones I assume? Sorry I'm hopeless at electrics!?!

Seems way over the top if there is no other labour or equipment needed, other than a battery maybe.
    Shop around would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

I am surprised at what they are charging you, are you very far away from their base?
    Is this amount part of the original invoice? Did they tell you that the control equipment you have is now obsolete ?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Seems way over the top if there is no other labour or equipment needed, other than a battery maybe.
    Shop around would be my advice.

Any recommendations who could sort it out for me? Based in Ardmore! I too thought it was expensive did so 8 years ago too when decided against it 😂 I have 4 external doors with all contacts fitted and 20windows also fully fitted then I have three sensors. I have the alarm box on my cable control panel on my wall in hall and some form of supply box next to fuse board in my utility and there is a red light working on this.

When I booked them last week he told me it could not do mobile notification etc but that seems completely wrong reading on here and seeing all your many useful posts and replies here. Thanks for your time.

Jollyman wrote: »
    Any recommendations who could sort it out for me? Based in Ardmore! I too thought it was expensive did so 8 years ago too when decided against it 😂 I have 4 external doors with all contacts fitted and 20windows also fully fitted then I have three sensors. I have the alarm box on my cable control panel on my wall in hall and some form of supply box next to fuse board in my utility and there is a red light working on this.

When I booked them last week he told me it could not do mobile notification etc but that seems completely wrong reading on here and seeing all your many useful posts and replies here. Thanks for your time.

It can do mobile notification but the issue would be the availability of parts.

kub wrote: »
    It can do mobile notification but the issue would be the availability of parts.

As in leadtime before there call out, or parts are just hard to get full stop?

Jollyman wrote: »
    As in leadtime before there call out, or parts are just hard to get full stop?

The control equipment you have is the HKC Securewatch range, they stopped making that equipment around 18 months ago at least and spare parts are like hens teeth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement