Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suggest a bow /equipment for novice.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SteveBabyface

A 24# bow is the weight at 28"draw length, you draw length is 30", therefore you are drawing 28# (2# extra for every inch over 28"). The max I would suggest when starting out is 26#, which will be 30# for you.

One of our members is giving his first set of 26# limbs to the club because they were too heavy for him. He had to buy 24# limbs instead and once he is used to them he will move up to the 26#.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I recently bought a bow with 24# limbs and a set of arrows. I found it tough going at the first training session, with the weight of the riser, the 24#'s and firing off up to 8 arrows each round as opposed to the previous 6 weeks, the training bow with 3 arrows each round. It's all about getting the correct form now and then up the #age when I get the groupings sorted. It's slow but enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭R11

Yes, I think I'll go 24 or max 26 lbs. Gonna try both on Saturday, then buy online.

One other thing, I'm getting easton xx75 jazz arrows 1816 which I'm using already with the training kit. When ordering online, it also asks for length - so do I put in 30 inches?
    Also what vane length? Gives 4 options- EP16, EP23, EP 26 and EP 40? Which is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

How did you get on ordering on-line?

bobdcow wrote: »
    How did you get on ordering on-line?

I'm gonna wait another 2 weeks or so.Coaches found today that my draw length is more like 28" and not 30" so I'm still trying out different limbs. Also not sure what arrows to get,Easton jazz 1816 or 1616 but I'll figure it out over next few weeks..Saving a bit of money and going to get the SF Axiom Plus riser and limbs.
    What kit did you get?And what arrows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Unilad12

Hi are you looking for a second hand bow because im selling one

Unilad12 wrote: »
    Hi are you looking for a second hand bow because im selling one

I'm going to get a new one but if you're selling second hand sight, chest guard, bag/backpack, bowstand etc PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 43 comeon

Complete novice to archery, there is no local or surrounding archery club. im at ye're mercy.
    browsing the internet for the past few days & finding the info overwhelming Im looking for a safe beginner/moderate bow, to use in my (big & safe) back garden.

R11 post this link a few pages back, seems decent, good brand, best price ive seen so far. it comes to 130 euro including post. Not a huge investment if i mess up the sizes or dont fall in love with the sport.

http://www.archerysuppliesdirect.co.uk/products/Adult-Red-Pro-Core-Metal-Recurve-Bow-Pack.html

So im around 5"11 - 6 foot so 68 bow length should suffice?

Im around 15 stone (stronger than average) so im thinking 24lb draw weight maybe 22lb?

I know ye all recommend going to a club, but unfortunately i dont have that luxury.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

A pity there are no local clubs.

Before buying a bow do a few things

1) Check if youre right or left eye dominent ( this has nothing to do withright or left handed). The side with the dominent eye is the side you shoot from. This link will tell you how to check that, its pretty easy http://www.learn-archery.com/eye-dominance.html

2) Next is check your draw length.You just need a tape measure and some help. Basically its measure your arm span and divide by 2.5. another link http://www.learn-archery.com/proper-draw-length.html

3) Buy a bow combination that matches your draw length. http://www.learn-archery.com/proper-bow-size.html

A 22 pound bow is fine for a beginner but if your a big lad you may find it a bit to soft. Id suggest 24 which would be light enough to be easy to use and get your technque right but enough punch to be somewhat satisfying. You could spend more money and get an ILF riser which takes a larger variety of limbs and accessories but youre effectivly doubling the price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Can you give us a vague inkling of where you live? Archery can be picked up on your own but it makes it very difficult. If there are no clubs near you then I'd suggest you make arrangements to get some private coaching, maybe as part of a weekend away. Once you have some good basics you can build on those.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 comeon

@greysides - Honestly between time & transport i cant. not for the foreseeable future.

Is "core archery" a good brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

its is what it is at the pricepoint. You'd not really see many folk beyond a beginners course shooting them.

Why a takedown recurve out of interest? Why not soemthing like this? http://www.shootingstyle.ie/view_large.php?prod_id=331

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

comeon wrote: »
    @greysides - Honestly between time & transport i cant. not for the foreseeable future.

Is "core archery" a good brand?
    Simply: No, its not a "Brand" anymore than "Adidadas" or "Hike" when it comes to shoes. 
    its is what it is at the pricepoint. You'd not really see many folk beyond a beginners course shooting them.

Why a takedown recurve out of interest? Why not soemthing like this? http://www.shootingstyle.ie/view_large.php?prod_id=331
    I love one piece bows but I'd stay away from them as a beginner - more difficult to transport, and not possibility of upgrading weight - most start at #30+as well (nothing specified on that one mind you on the description or their site pretty sure they are manufactured by Greatree in China though).

However My 2 cents, if someone is INTENT on trying to learn archery on their own via youtube academy and google.

Get a Samick Sage@ 25lbs, a cheap plastic screw in arrow rest, some 1716 Easton Jazz arrows and just start shooting after watching (in depth) some decent videos of how to properly string the bow, pull and release.

It wont break the bank, theres no adjustments or learning curve beyond stringing it and you wont lose any much money selling it when you are done and want to upgrade - tough as nails as well. 

HOWEVER: You are likely to pick up potentially un-correctable bad habits by trying to learn by yourself in the backyard.

If you are considering a bow with sights, stabilizers etc as your game ... I would not advise backyard training whatsoever without at least a chat with a trainer of some description - its simply a much more regimented discipline to Trad Archery (Think F1 vs Rallycross).

Advertisement