Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Macbook Advice For a Soon-to-be-Graduate

• 28-01-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hello Mac lovers!

I hope it's okay to post here; I'm looking for some real advice (and not from a sales person trying to sell me aftercare!) I'm about to graduate from college and enter the real world and need a laptop that's going to get me by. I'm currently rocking a HP Pavillion that only partially works (I'm talking broken fan, charging problems, no speakers and a boot up speed of 17.5 minutes as of this morning)

I work in Digital Marketing and I use Photoshop a fair bit. I'm also rather mobile. I've worked and worked to save enough to get a MB so I'll want one that will last too! I understand software stuff just fine but once someone talks hardware to me, my brain goes Homer Simpson style; I'm practically stumped by memory/hard-drives and the likes. I'm currently looking at a refurbished Macbook 12" from Apple or forking out a bit more for a MBP.

Any advice would be appreciated! I have several assignments due soon and my current laptop is about to meet a brick wall!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

NaNaNa1 wrote: »
    Hello Mac lovers!

I hope it's okay to post here; I'm looking for some real advice (and not from a sales person trying to sell me aftercare!) I'm about to graduate from college and enter the real world and need a laptop that's going to get me by. I'm currently rocking a HP Pavillion that only partially works (I'm talking broken fan, charging problems, no speakers and a boot up speed of 17.5 minutes as of this morning)

I work in Digital Marketing and I use Photoshop a fair bit. I'm also rather mobile. I've worked and worked to save enough to get a MB so I'll want one that will last too! I understand software stuff just fine but once someone talks hardware to me, my brain goes Homer Simpson style; I'm practically stumped by memory/hard-drives and the likes. I'm currently looking at a refurbished Macbook 12" from Apple or forking out a bit more for a MBP.

Any advice would be appreciated! I have several assignments due soon and my current laptop is about to meet a brick wall!

Writing as the very satisfied owner of a Macbook 12 with a fully paid up Adobe CC subscription, I couldn't, just wouldn't recommend you even think about the 12 as being suitable for regular/constant use with Photoshop. I occasionally use mine with Photoshop, Lightroom and even Final Cut Pro X when I'm travelling, but there is absolutely no comparison between the 12 and a fully fledged MBP if you're intending on working fulltime with it for design purposes.

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NaNaNa1

Writing as the very satisfied owner of a Macbook 12 with a fully paid up Adobe CC subscription, I couldn't, just wouldn't recommend you even think about the 12 as being suitable for regular/constant use with Photoshop. I occasionally use mine with Photoshop, Lightroom and even Final Cut Pro X when I'm travelling, but there is absolutely no comparison between the 12 and a fully fledged MBP if you're intending on working fulltime with it for design purposes.

What's your budget?

Thanks for your reply! I'm not a constant like 24/7 Photoshop user but I'd use if my 4-5 hours a week for content creation and image editing.

I'm trying to keep under €1500 as much as I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

NaNaNa1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply! I'm not a constant like 24/7 Photoshop user but I'd use if my 4-5 hours a week for content creation and image editing.

I'm trying to keep under €1500 as much as I can!

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MF839B/A&step=config#

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Do apple still not run the student discount scheme? It's not a huge saving if memory serves but it all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Hello OP: have a look here - http://www.apple.com/ie-edu/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro

€1400 for the 13" MBP. (128GB & 8GB RAM, which can be configured higher at checkout)

The processor & GPU in the 12" might not have enough bite for what you're looking to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NaNaNa1

Thanks for the help everyone! I went to take a look at the 12" and the MBP and I've settled on the Pro! With my Unidays discount I can get it for €1,378.83 with 8GB memory and 128GB SSD

Advertisement