Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling car with expired tax

Options
  • 28-01-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

Hi all, is it possible to sell a car with the road tax expired? My brother living in Australia has an old Celica that's been in the garage for years, he was away when the declaring off road system came in and nobody here thought of it. Anyway he has asked me to offload it, but I don't know if the tax needs to be current, it hasn't seen road tax in over 10 years!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭honda boi

Yep no bother selling it with no tax.
    When ownership changes the new owner doesn't pay any arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You don't need tax on a car to sell it. The new owner can tax it from the date he/she buys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

Excellent, cheers folks, that's a relief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just be aware that it should not be test driven by potential buyers.
    It needs a valid tax disc displayed to be in the road. AGS could fine or seize the car!

Also of course needs insurance to be on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gordieboy04

Sooooo you're selling a celica that has been parked up for ten years..........tell me more 😊

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Can you post your ad on here please?

Would love a gawk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

PM sent :pac:

But seriously... tell us more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

What year is it, can you link the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Sorry to hijack thread... tax on current car expires at end of Jan. My new car is due in 2nd week of Feb. Is it bad form to bring car in to garage with expired tax? I don't want to shaft the dealer/new owner with paying arrears so I'd pay for 3 months if it saves someone else being liable for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

tatumkelly wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread... tax on current car expires at end of Jan. My new car is due in 2nd week of Feb. Is it bad form to bring car in to garage with expired tax? I don't want to shaft the dealer/new owner with paying arrears so I'd pay for 3 months if it saves someone else being liable for it.

Arrears expire with change of ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

I don't think it'll be needing an ad, put the word out locally to a few of the lads into cars and I've offers of people to arrive with car trailers to take it away! Just needed to be sure everything was done above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not 'bad form', pretty much what the dealer will expect and he doesn't care anyway.

Almost every car I've ever seen in a secondhand car lot had no tax - the disc had expired or there was no disc on the windscreen. If someone is planning on getting rid of a car they will start to tax it for 3 or 6 months so the tax has more or less expired when they trade it in - nobody trades in a car with 8 months tax left on it.

The new owner is only liable for tax from the 1st of the month in which he buys the car, any arrears expire on change of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

coylemj wrote: »
    Not 'bad form', pretty much what the dealer will expect and he doesn't care anyway.

Almost every car I've ever seen in a secondhand car lot had no tax - the disc had expired or there was no disc on the windscreen. If someone is planning on getting rid of a car they will start to tax it for 3 or 6 months so the tax has more or less expired when they trade it in - nobody trades in a car with 8 months tax left on it.

The new owner is only liable for tax from the 1st of the month in which he buys the car, any arrears expire on change of ownership.

Great. That's what I thought but just wasn't sure if there would be any impact on dealer if I drop it off with no tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Great. That's what I thought but just wasn't sure if there would be any impact on dealer if I drop it off with no tax.

He may decide to tax the car with "garage tax" for 3 months to make a sale but that's his choice.
    I must sit down sometime and put together an A-Z for motor tax.!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,821 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it a T-Sport or GT4 model?

Advertisement