Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT registered first Ireland then Uk and back Ireland?

Options
  • 27-01-2017 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

Any info if car first was registered in Ireland brand new, then Northern Ireland garage bought from VW in Ireland.They registered in UK.

Now I have bought car from NI VW garage. Is VRT still owed coming back into Ireland as was first registered in Ireland.

Any info ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depends on if a VRT refund was done. What year is the car, when was it exported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Probably a short term rental car - either for promotional purposes or for one of the rental companies.

Where a new vehicle is being used for short term hire (hertz, avis etc), the vrt is deferred for 6 months and then paid on the value then.

Probably this was something like that and when the six months was up, sold to NI.

You can be fairly certain vrt will be due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niceguyedddy

Thanks for info...

2015 car, registered first 02/2015 and exported 09/2015 and registered in NI.

Very strange for a car like that to be exported. I would count on paying full whack for VRT.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Very strange for a car like that to be exported. I would count on paying full whack for VRT.

Not really if the first owner was vw or one of the rental companies.

Huge number of rental cars come on the market in September due to the six month vrt deferral on rentals.

To place some of these 100km up the road in NI would be fairly standard.

• Advertisement

It's a while since I dealt with hire cars but I've honestly never heard of that before. Wouldn't the speedo need to be changed to mph?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,859 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a while since I dealt with hire cars but I've honestly never heard of that before. Wouldn't the speedo need to be changed to mph?

The newer VW's have a digital display in the centre of the dash to the left of the speedo that can show in kmh or mph, that might be sufficient for MOT.

I don't think it is sufficient for registering a car in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

All been said above - but most likely you'll be paying vrt on it.

Interesting though if a car was exported without a rebate (unlikely) can it be re-imported without any vrt?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,186 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The newer VW's have a digital display in the centre of the dash to the left of the speedo that can show in kmh or mph, that might be sufficient for MOT.

The analog speedo would have to be in mph too. Not a cheap retro fit on VWs.

• Advertisement

In operation for years - designed to keep costs down and fleet new.

Hence you have hundreds of "nearly new" cars on sale every September.

Rules state it must be used for short term rental only (less than 28days per rental)
    Vrt deferral ends on last day of sixth month.

Changing speedo graphics would not be a major issue.

Advertisement