Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Harsh braking

Options
  • 27-01-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix harsh braking? I am using my instructor's car for the test, but I have a tendency to brake harshly. Even though I feel like I am braking gently, I end up braking harshly. I don't think I am as harsh as often in my own car. If I am very slowly coming to a stop it's not as bad but this will bring me down in the test.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 redline2015

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions to fix harsh braking? I am using my instructor's car for the test, but I have a tendency to brake harshly. Even though I feel like I am braking gently, I end up braking harshly. I don't think I am as harsh as often in my own car. If I am very slowly coming to a stop it's not as bad but this will bring me down in the test.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks :)

Some cars have a tendency to have harsher brake pedels than others.. Toyota's for one..

Make sure... If you can...try pivoting your right foot rather than lifting it off your gas to your brake its a lot harder to control your initial braking presure if your heel is not planted first,
    if you have to lift because you have smaller feet and can't reach when pivoting when you do lift across still plant you heel first before applying pressure,

If your hasher braking is at the end before stopping, brake earlier so your actually finished braking and easing the pressure off the pedal before you stop,
    Sometimes a good way to do this is to imagine yourself stopping say 10 or 20 feet before you actually are, than you have 10 to 20 feet to relax the braking presure...

• Site Banned Posts: 31 cheekojuls

In my (limited) experience, harsh braking is usually caused by insufficient observation. If you notice hazards and traffic lights earlier, you can slow down more slowly and brake more gently. In fact, I try to avoid braking at traffic lights by slowing down well in advance - with the exception of busy junctions, by the time I reach the light it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cheekojuls wrote:
    In my (limited) experience, harsh braking is usually caused by insufficient observation. If you notice hazards and traffic lights earlier, you can slow down more slowly and brake more gently. In fact, I try to avoid braking at traffic lights by slowing down well in advance - with the exception of busy junctions, by the time I reach the light it has changed.

You maybe right, but some cars breaks can be a little weird, as mine are, causing harsh breaking. Best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Use your own car. If you can drive better in your own car and are of test standard, why are you using the instructors car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

practice, practice, practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭dennyk

Assuming that you're braking harshly by accident, I'd second the suggestion to use your own car for the test. I find that the brakes always feel strange and it's hard to get the pressure right when driving an unfamiliar car; it takes a little while for your brain to get used to the different pedal feel and throw. If you have several more lessons to go in your instructor's car, that would probably be enough time to get the feel for it, but if you're taking your test right away, I'd do it in your own car instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Thanks for the replies. I tend to brake gently right up until the end, and then for some reason brake harshly. I used to be a bit worse so it is something I can fix, and I don't brake harshly all the time either. My observation is fine, my main issue is the footbrake. I'll try braking a bit harder and see how that goes. Thanks for the help! Really hoping the test will go well.

Advertisement