Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo 2004 model. Water leak in cabin.

Options
  • 27-01-2017 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Hi
    After last night's torrential rain my water leak has reappeared.
    This Polo is 4door with a factory elec sunroof.
    Please could someone advise about the sunroof drains - and any other likely sources of a leak.

Both rear footwells have been sodden with water. Today only the left hand rear footwell is sodden
    No evidence of dampness in the front footwells.

Sunroof:
    I still suspect the sunroof even though I rodded the drains and the wire came out clean.
    But on this model the drain exit isn't visible at the front bulkhead. Does it exit behind the front wheel arch cover?
    Is there only one pair of forward drains? I expected to see a rear-ward drain too. Or could there be a drain down the B pillar?

Door seals;
    No sign of dampness around door seals or carpet trim under rear seat.
    I've unclipped the left-hand rear door panel. No sign of water stains inside there either

Pollen Filter, front bulhead drains.
    I've read the pollen filter is a potential problem but there is no dampness in the front.
    I've cleaned the bulkhead area of any leaves. Can't actually see the drain hole to poke them.

Rear wash water supply pipe
    This was actually broken in the boot and leaking but it's not the cause of my problem. The rain proved that.

Any suggestions .. please!. I suppose I have to face lifting the carpets and removing more trim. (and breaking more clips!)

One other question: If I remove the front passenger seat (with airbag) do I really have to disconnect the battery - as per Haynes manual?

Thanks. Sorry, long post but wanted to give full details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The rear lamp lens housing seals can perish and let water ingress into the cabin. Also worth checking is for leaks from the rear washer tubing.

It would be worth having a read on the vw forums, fairly well documented problem.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/120983-Water-Leak-in-Passenger-Rear-Footwell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Hal1 wrote: »
    It would be worth having a read on the vw forums, fairly well documented problem.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/120983-Water-Leak-in-Passenger-Rear-Footwell

Thanks for the link. Soundls just like my problem.
    I did unlip the RH door panel to check the problem with the inner door-card . I need to remove both and look again. Tricky job removing the door panel.

I've now removed door sill panels and lifted the edge of the carpet. If I hose it with water tomorrow I should see any leak around door rubber.

I've also removed the side panel on B pillar. No water stains, or sunroof drain, inside the pillar.

I've checked the rear lenses carefully. (Previous 95 Polo had a problem there.) I stuffed newspaper below them when the problem first appeared and no sign of a leak.

Advertisement