Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise needed - BMW 320d engine overheat error

Options
  • 27-01-2017 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

hi

Looking for some advice regarding a BMW overheating error please!
    -2007 320d E92 coupe

I just had 2 drive shaft sensors replaced and drove the car a fair bit today, nothing too strenuous. Coming home tonight the engine over-heating error came on.

The error went from orange/amber to red and back to orange/amber. I didn't realise what the error was so drove on home slowly (about 3km).

When i parked up, the fan took about 4ish mins to shut up.

Does it sound like something serious or would it just be coolant?
    - I'm wondering if i should replace the coolant myself or get it towed to a mechanic :eek:

appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Check the coolant levels first. You don't need to tow it just don't over fill it follow the markers.
    Check for any coolant leaks around the water system if it's low, you could have a cracked or loose pipe or a stuck thermostat.

Your head gasket could be goosed as well but try the other things first. When it's cold open the oil cap and see is the lid of the cap kind of scummy as if water and oil are mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Maybe the water pump is goosed. Can check if water spilling into the expansion tank when engine is running (water is being pumped). Note, It won't flow initially from cold as the thermostat will be closed. I know on the e36 the plastic impeller is known to split at the shaft, therefore it doesn't pump.

If the thermostat is stuck closed the rad will stay cool.

I'd be wary of driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

thanks for the help!

Definitely wasn't the coolant

It needed a small top up (which i did) but when i started the engine it spluttered and then i got white smoke from the exhaust.

currently waiting for a tow! grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

White smoke suggests that it's burning coolant

Advertisement