Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ncts and diffs

Options
  • 26-01-2017 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

i have a jzs161 aristo. they come with an open diff. as far as i know mine is open but not 100 percent. for the nct would it be like an lsd and have to be road tested for the brakes or would an open be okay for the rollers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Unless you have 15 welding rods welding the crown to the sun wheels open or lsd won't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

Fatabbit wrote: »
    i have a jzs161 aristo. they come with an open diff. as far as i know mine is open but not 100 percent. for the nct would it be like an lsd and have to be road tested for the brakes or would an open be okay for the rollers?

Put one of the back wheels on grass and the other in tarmac/road surface and you'll quickly find out what is in yours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Well if they're supposed to test LSDs outside, and open diffs aswell, what diff would they be testing on the rollers? :confused:

Anyway, a factory LSD or an open diff will be fine on the rollers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

millington wrote: »
    Well if they're supposed to test LSDs outside, and open diffs aswell, what diff would they be testing on the rollers? :confused:

Anyway, a factory LSD or an open diff will be fine on the rollers.

No, a car with an LSD cannot be tested on the rollers... In the NCT manual:
    8. The use of a roller brake tester is not appropriate on hybrid vehicles or on vehicles with a permanently
    engaged four wheel drive, limited slip differential or belt driven transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

You could try put it round to find out... Or jack one wheel up and see how far you can turn it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The use of a roller brake tester is not appropriate on hybrid vehicles or on vehicles with a permanently
    engaged four wheel drive, limited slip differential or belt driven transmission.

Makes sense for a centre diff. I wouldn't have thought the drums would be moving at such different speeds to make a difference side to side.

Didn't stop NCT Limerick throwing Honda CRVs up on the rollers. Oh how the dual pump clutches cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fatabbit

Makes sense for a centre diff. I

Didn't stop NCT Limerick throwing Honda CRVs up on the rollers. Oh how the dual pump clutches cried.

yeah it seems as if you have to tell the testers or they dont care.

im hoping to have it up on the lift before the test i can check the diff then. but in case i dont get the chance. id say ill just tell them road test it. i was looking at the nct cert from when it came in and theres no roller readings for it so i presume it was road tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had several ITRs tested over the years and they were all done on the rollers. It never done the LSD in any of them any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

shietpilot wrote: »
    No, a car with an LSD cannot be tested on the rollers... In the NCT manual:

Aye they shouldn't but they do it anyway and it does 0 harm. Probably been through 30 NCTs with different types of LSDs and never a bother.

An Aristo would have a Torsen diff not an actual plate type diff so should be fine on the rollers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

millington wrote: »
    Aye they shouldn't but they do it anyway and it does 0 harm. Probably been through 30 NCTs with different types of LSDs and never a bother.

An Aristo would have a Torsen diff not an actual plate type diff so should be fine on the rollers too.

You're probably right, but LSDs aren't cheap so I'd rather not take any risk and do as the NCT manual says.

• Advertisement
Advertisement