Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi new car designs-opinions please

Options
  • 24-01-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭

I've been completely underwhelmed by the design of new mainstream Audi's.
    They seem to make so many small incremental changes that the new models are almost indistinquishable from the design of ten years ago.
    I know most German manufacturers are favouring evolution over revolution but Audi seem to be going nowhere.
    I was watching this video tonight and I swear this new sportback looks like a mondeo hatch to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPXBIgGHOn4

Maybe this is what people want but beyond a fancy digital dash and excellent perceived(not actual) quality what have they new to offer?
    Am I missing something?
    New Q5 more of the same.
    I know the R8 and TT are head turners but their design hasn't changed much either.

What do others think?

e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I like the new A4 and A5 TBH. Sometimes it kind of feels like they can't please some people at all I would agree that the new A4 is quite a conservative design which I'd prefer. But then at the same time if they went the other way and made it very flashy people would see that as a negative.

I test drove the new A4 and honestly think it's a fantastic car I was quite close to buying one. I ended up with a Leon there was a 15k price difference in the cost of change as Audi were giving me 3.5k less for my A4 trade in compared to Seat which pissed me off. To be entirely honest I would say the Quality of the Audi is far superior to the Seat even down to very small things you get in the Audi and not in the Seat. General cabin refinement soundproofing is far superior in the Audi. Like ultimately in my case it's not 15k better.

But I think it's completely unfair to make out that Audi Quality standards are just the same as any other manufacturer I am not saying they are the best but they are up there IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm of the opinion that you either have a liking for Audi designs or not. If you liked the previous ones then chances are you will continue to like the current evolutionary versions. Same probably goes for any other brand too. Accountants/money men decide what's what and what's not, and it's all about making money in the end.

German car designs in general these days are pretty void of any creative or daring thinking. They sell in large numbers and they don't want to alienate or drive existing customers away so they play it safe. It's a bit like Hollywood and the endless trend of remaking old movies, it's just a safer option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I like them. I know they're almost omnipresent on our roads but whenever I catch sight of a well spec'd S-Line A-whatever it tends to catch my eye. To my eyes at least they make the far more handsome saloon than their BMW or Mercedes counterparts.

The SUV's do nothing for me but SUV's of any marque do nothing for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

As Bazz says - a lot of people, myself included are loyal Audi fans and we're happy with the familiar lines of the updated models as they arrive every six or seven years.

Same applies to BMW folks judging by the evolutionary designs. Interiors and engines are a bit more adventurous though, and the A4 B9 interior is a world apart from it's predecessor. I'd guess the same applies to the new 5 Series, similar enough outside, but totally new under the bonnet and in the cabin.

It's just a case of different strokes for different folks. I couldn't imagine myself ever getting into a new Honda Civic or a Hyundi I40 for example - just too much outside my visual comfort zone. Getting a bit old maybe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You can say the same of the new 5 series. BMW actually have a comparison video of the old and new model on their website and I have to say that several of the angles and design cues of the old model are much nicer on the F10 (older) than the G30. It's like they went out of their way with the comparison video to show that there are virtually no changes at all.

Audis were always somewhat dull to me, but there is no doubt, Mercedes is leading the game between the three big German brands, by a considerable margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Right now, Audi seem to be behind in terms of product range. A4 is a relatively new model but wouldn't tempt me. A6 is well past it considering new e class is here a while and 5 series ready to hit the roads here.
    A8 used to be aspirational but this model was a huge let down and is long in the tooth now too.
    New A5 is ok but not standout like the original when it appeared.
    A7 is at least something different.

In summary, overly conservative with the A4, a poor looking A8 and the A6 is on life support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I had a couple of A4's and and A6 a few years ago but I just don't see any great advances in the last 10/15 years that would tempt me back.
    Mercedes seem to have the nicest styling nowadays and I never thought I would say it but Volvo are making cars that are more attractive than Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

The Conservative design makes for good second hand values – Some of the older models still look great……

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The A3 Saloon and A7's are both very nice in SLine spec with the right colour/wheel combo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

hooch-85 wrote: »
    The A3 Saloon and A7's are both very nice in SLine spec with the right colour/wheel combo

The A3 should be 3 door hatch only imo. The saloon to me looks like a car for someone who couldnt stretch to an A4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Audi changed their head of design to a guy by the name of Marc Lichte a few years back. His first fully designed car from the ground up will be the new A8 which will debut next month, followed in quick succession by A7/Q8 later this year and A6 next year. I think this guy will give some much needed impetus into the brands design. If the prologue design concept is anything to go by these cars will look great.

Interview here

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/audis-q8-suv-predicts-wilder-future

m_lichte_design_0700.jpg?itok=qsd-f1st

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

mickdw wrote: »
    The A3 should be 3 door hatch only imo. The saloon to me looks like a car for someone who couldnt stretch to an A4.

Normally not a fan of small saloons either but I wouldn't agree in this case. The saloon variant of the A3 is the best looker imo. The hatch is very very bland in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I always liked Audi's but the last few years I just think they are terrible value for money.

I think you'd generally be better off with a high spec Passat than an A4.

Compared to BMW for example the Audo engines power and performance is crap.

A 320d would wipe the floor with any 2.0L A4 for example.

They certainly feel well screwed together but they just have a 'heavyness' that I hate when cornering, they just lack the nimble feel of a RWD car.

In saying that I do like the look of the current A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I have to agree with JoeA3, I Think the A3 SLine Saloon is one of the best looking cars out there at the moment. after having owned one for nearly two years i found them very uncomfortable on the back roads and also restricted for interior space especially with four people. Really liked the car otherwise. Have changed to a A6 Sline this year i find it a much nicer place to be, and its a pleasure to drive. Love the interior finish. I do like the style of the Audi range though and can see why the haven't changed it that much. BMW especially the 4series in like also.

Advertisement