Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gentle alloy cleaner?

Options
  • 24-01-2017 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

I have a set of minilite alloys on my volvo 1800, have used Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner on them, just noticed this weekend that while the alloys are in grand condition, the nuts are tarnished/discoloured.

Any recommendations on what i could use, that may be "gentler"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I assume you are using Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel. Would the nuts be getting tarnished as a result of perhaps not fully rinsing out the smaller areas fully, and thus they are left to sit.

Have you a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mountain

Hi Curran,

thanks for replying, yes the auto wheel,
    not as black as they appear on the photo, but you can see where the ends are still clean as the autowheel isnt getting to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

They'd be something that would tarnish quiet easily anyways? Do yo feel that AW has accelerated this process?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mountain

ah i reckon it has, id only put up about 4/5000 miles per year on the car and the alloys are perfect, just the nuts are unsightly.

Maybe i have been using the cleaner when i didnt need to, (laziness and it works so well), I will replace the nuts and not use the cleaner so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

From my experience all alloy wheel cleaners will tarnish wheel studs but Auto Wheel hasn't done that at all unlike other cleaners. For example, turtle wax wheel cleaner completely stripped the protective coating off the wheel nuts on previous cars and they rusted badly because of this.

I have used Auto Wheel every week (for touchless washing) on my last car and my current car and it has never affected the studs in a negative way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement