Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Single DIN radio slot extension needed

Options
  • 23-01-2017 9:33pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Friend has offered me a very nice single din combination unit that has just about everything I could want or need, but it won't fit in the slot on the vehicle unless I put an extension on, the screen won't open up correctly due to the overhang of the centre console above the slot. So, I need an extension (probably about 30mm) to stop it from looking totally amateur, and to ensure that the radio is secure.

Does such a thing exist and if it does, where is my best bet to get one?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Friend has offered me a very nice single din combination unit that has just about everything I could want or need, but it won't fit in the slot on the vehicle unless I put an extension on, the screen won't open up correctly due to the overhang of the centre console above the slot. So, I need an extension (probably about 30mm) to stop it from looking totally amateur, and to ensure that the radio is secure.

Does such a thing exist and if it does, where is my best bet to get one?
    What car are you on about..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Isuzu crew cab, has a single din radio just below the top edge of the dash, which sticks out some distance from the radio bay, and there's a full width screen that retracts into the unit when it's off, and then comes out and up when powered up, then can be used for radio, reversing camera or GPS (and video when not driving :D ), so a nice unit all round, as long as I can make it fit properly.

I reckon I need a metal cage unit that can be mounted in the existing carrier, with a plastic shroud so that it at least looks reasonable, but it's finding one, it's not something I've had to do before, so I don't even know which suppliers to look at.

The picture shows something very similar to what I have to cope with, (mine is RHD, the pic is LHD) the radio is at the top of the stack, and recessed when compared to the dash upper level, which I am pretty sure will block the screen from moving out to the correct alignment.

852377-4.jpg

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd say it'll be difficult to find anything ready made. Your going to have to make something yourself. If it were me I'd try and make some sort fascia to fill that entire space and cut a single din slot into it. You can then get a full length din cage that will then support the stereo.

If you could get a piece of aluminium (1mm thick would suffice) and cut it the size of that whole area. Cut a single din size hole in it in line with the original slot. Cover the whole thing in either cabin fibre effect vinyl or plain black vinyl and stick it to the surrounding panel using epoxy resin (krynyje surface first)

It'll take a bit of work to get a neat finish but the Isuzu doesn't exactly a state of the art interior so as long as it doesn't look to ghetto then it'll do the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can get them on eBay, they're called single din extension

Advertisement