Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Propane torch & exhaust bolts

Options
  • 19-01-2017 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

For those that have no access to oxy acetylene, would a small propane torch provide sufficient heat to help remove stubborn exhaust bolts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

kkelly77 wrote: »
    For those that have no access to oxy acetylene, would a small propane torch provide sufficient heat to help remove stubborn exhaust bolts?

Have you tried acetone and atf transmission oil mixed as a penetrating fluid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Have you tried acetone and atf transmission oil mixed as a penetrating fluid?

I'm not actually working on it at the moment. Just a general query.

I do carry a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone for rusted fixings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

My little propane torch has got me out of a few holes when it came to stubborn exhaust bolts alright.
    Never tried it on the exhaust headers though as if it's bad enough they won't come off easy then I'll just give that job to someone else. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

MAPP gas burns a lot hotter than propane, cheap enough and the little bottles are handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

CJhaughey wrote: »
    MAPP gas burns a lot hotter than propane, cheap enough and the little bottles are handy.
    This

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Unless they are head bolts/ nuts cut them off with a grinder. Give the day fooling around otherwise.

Advertisement