Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought new car, mpg question

Options
  • 18-01-2017 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

So I got a new car, and not really sure where to post this.

It's a Ford Focus GHIA MKII 1.6 Petrol Engine, I am just wondering what type of MPG or x L / KM , currently at the moment I am getting 11.8 L / 100 KM. Is this good? I am not sure if it is, as I expected it to be around 8/9 L / 100 KM.

Could anyone advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,958 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That's about 24 miles to the gallon, Id be expecting that car to be doing on average early to mid 30's or roughly 8.7 l/100km

http://mpg.webix.co.uk/

A lot depends though on where and how it is being driven, if your just driving it around urban areas in stop start conditions it's exactly as I would expect it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

The L/100km sounds a bit high, unless as already stated you are doing mainly stop/start driving or driving in traffic.

For reference I used to have the Mk2 ST and I was getting about 12.4L/100km if using it in day to day driving, which was actually light enough traffic and half and half in terms of stop/start and steady speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Without knowing what sort of driving you are doing or distance you drive then it's hard to know what to make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Would be light enoght use mainly city driving so stopping starting at lights.

Will service it the weekend and gauge it from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

I get 7.2 L/100km Harolds Cross to Blanch and back using the M50 and goes up to 8/8.5 if I do it across town, the same engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,958 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

TallGlass wrote: »
    Would be light enoght use mainly city driving so stopping starting at lights.

Will service it the weekend and gauge it from there?

I wouldn't expect much improvement, city driving will eat fuel either way, those figures are what I would be expecting from a 1.6 petrol.

tomaso11 wrote: »
    I get 7.2 L/100km Harolds Cross to Blanch and back using the M50 and goes up to 8/8.5 if I do it across town, the same engine

Cheers Tomaso. What milage is on yours? Have you got the GHIA with air con?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

Cheers Tomaso. What milage is on yours? Have you got the GHIA with air con?

mine is 06 Zetec 1.6 petrol with Aircon, 132000 KM at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It does sound high. Measure it for a while using the brimming method, this way your get real numbers every time you fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭kirving

Certainly sounds a little high. My mother has a 2007, and does mainly 15-20 minute drives around suburbs. The car would be taken on an occasional long run too. I dont think the trip computer has ever been reset, and it's currently showing 9.8L/100km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

11,8L sounds very high for a 1.6 petrol even if it's City Driving.... but then again, Onboard computer aren't really the most accurate.

What you need to do is Reset the trip computer > Brim it > Drive it for half a tank or until reserve > Brim it again.

The amount of Litres that go into the tank is obviously the amount of fuel it used.

Multiply the Litres that go into the tank by 100 and then divide by the amount of Kilometres covered to get true L/100Km consumption

If you're old school, use that figure and convert it to "mpg" using this site:

http://www.calculateme.com/cGasMileage/LitersPer100kmtoMPG-imperial.htm

11.8 L / 100 KM.

I get 10l/100km in a 2L turbo petrol .

Is it getting up to temp?

I get 10l/100km in a 2L turbo petrol .

Is it getting up to temp?

That's interesting that you mention that! It seems like it does take a while to heat up, doesn't over heat, but would be mostly cool more than hot or at a center temperature. I am guessing the thermostat may need replacing?

That's interesting that you mention that! It seems like it does take a while to heat up, doesn't over heat, but would be mostly cool more than hot or at a center temperature. I am guessing the thermostat may need replacing?

Well I had my own thermostat done recently and didnt see a change in mpg but I'd imagine it'd vary engine to engine .

Well I had my own thermostat done recently and didnt see a change in mpg but I'd imagine it'd vary engine to engine .

Yeah I think still get a new one but they aren't cheap, cause you have to replace the housing along with the stat as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I would fill the tank all the way up, reset odometer, drive until tank is empty and calculate it myself. Distance divided by amount of litres you filled. Sometimes car's computer might be well off

Advertisement