Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

demand for cyber?

Options

Comments

Never used Irish Jobs or Recruit Ireland.

We find it very difficult to find Irish people, I've started to contact colleges with any security focused course to try and talk to the students and get their interest. IT in general is very competitive so finding people who are in IT and interested in Security is a challenge.

Personally I get at minimum one recruiter a week asking me to come for an interview for a security role based in Ireland.

So yes the demand is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Is this based in Dublin niall?

zweton wrote: »
    Is this based in Dublin niall?

I'm based in Dublin but the offers are all across Ireland. Lots from cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Feel free to drop names lads, as I'm sure I'm not the only one looking to get a job in this area.
    Come may I'll be looking for a pen test job in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Im guessing eSentire in cork would be one of them.

So in Cork specifically....

VMware looking for Senior Security Engineer (last mail I got)

I also know Cylance have recently opened an office in cork. http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/cyber-security-firm-cylance-to-create-150-jobs-in-cork-1.2846847

Trend Micro have expanded their IR team in Cork.

Pen testing is very, specific. IT > Security > Red Teaming > Pen Testing. So it's going to be more difficult to find that exact job. Most places will also request you have experience in the area. You should create some alerts on LinkedIn for specific tags like OSCP and Cork. Could also do some research about the companies you want to work for and reach out to them. I know for sure if somebody wrote to us directly and had a good cover letter we'll ask them to come in even if we don't have openings.

Please don't call it cyber.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

One good sized security class/year would wipe out this demand?

• Advertisement

arkrow wrote: »
    One good sized security class/year would wipe out this demand?

Doubtful. Most infosec positions want 3+ years experience. A class of grads wont meet that demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Please don't call it cyber.

'cyber' means cybersex. Ugh.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

'cyber' means cybersex. Ugh.

A few years ago I got a job with the title Cyber Security Engineer :rolleyes:

A friend of mine sent me a message on LinkedIn going "So are you making condoms now or what?"

Oh how we laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

So in Cork specifically....

VMware looking for Senior Security Engineer (last mail I got)

I also know Cylance have recently opened an office in cork. http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/cyber-security-firm-cylance-to-create-150-jobs-in-cork-1.2846847

Trend Micro have expanded their IR team in Cork.

Pen testing is very, specific. IT > Security > Red Teaming > Pen Testing. So it's going to be more difficult to find that exact job. Most places will also request you have experience in the area. You should create some alerts on LinkedIn for specific tags like OSCP and Cork. Could also do some research about the companies you want to work for and reach out to them. I know for sure if somebody wrote to us directly and had a good cover letter we'll ask them to come in even if we don't have openings.
    Good advice. It is very specific. Being a jack of all trades in IT I wanted something very specific. I have LinkedIn setup now for the alerts.
    My access to the labs starts this Saturday night .

Advertisement