Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car fix - amount of Goodwill?

Options
  • 17-01-2017 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar.

Have a 2011 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TDI, 70,000 km mileage, fully main dealer service history.

The EGR valve is failing. Main dealer has confirmed this. EML on, no other symptoms.

This part is used on cars across the VW group and is known to fail prematurely so I am wondering if anyone else has suffered the same and received some goodwill towards the fix from car manufacturer.

Fix is €1K. I'm sure there are a number of factors (age, mileage, service history etc) considered by the dealer when determining amount of goodwill. What is reasonable? Does 50% of the total cost sound reasonable?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,778 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kco3d wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar.

Have a 2011 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TDI, 70,000 km mileage, fully main dealer service history.

The EGR valve is failing. Main dealer has confirmed this. EML on, no other symptoms.

This part is used on cars across the VW group and is known to fail prematurely so I am wondering if anyone else has suffered the same and received some goodwill towards the fix from car manufacturer.

Fix is €1K. I'm sure there are a number of factors (age, mileage, service history etc) considered by the dealer when determining amount of goodwill. What is reasonable? Does 50% of the total cost sound reasonable?

Cheers,

You won't get any good will on the cost. It's outside warranty now its 6 years old you should find an independent that works on these models and get the work done there. At this point there is little benefit to main dealer services for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

€1000 for an EGR valve? Fairly sure with some basic tools and interest research you could do it yourself.

As listermint said, independent is the way to go. Keep the receipt and type up what they did, ask them to stamp it if they can then add to the glove box receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kco3d

The garage have offered 50% off the cost. Reason its so expensive is the labour. Its hard to get at, lot of stripping down beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

kco3d wrote: »
    2011 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TDI, 70,000 km . ...

The EGR valve is failing. ...

This part is used on cars across the VW group and is known to fail prematurely so ...

I am wondering if anyone else has suffered the same and received some goodwill towards the fix...

Does 50% of the total cost sound reasonable?

robin-williams-good-will-hunting-600.jpg

Wait.... what? They HAVE offered 50% goodwill? I did not see that coming! A VAG brand acknowledging poor engineering. Mother of God the world has gone mad.

Or the reason they gave 50%off is because it doesn't cost 1000 to replace it.

I still think independent as 500 sounds expensive for what is just replacing a part thats relatively easy to get to by stripping away a few things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn't the part alone around €650-700?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

robin-williams-good-will-hunting-600.jpg

Wait.... what? They HAVE offered 50% goodwill? I did not see that coming! A VAG brand acknowledging poor engineering. Mother of God the world has gone mad.

Yeah, they should be ignoring it like Mazda and Subaru do instead. Lol.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Isn't the part alone around €650-700?

This 50 Euro part?

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/egr-valve/seat-ibiza-v-6j5-1-2-tdi-75hp_v33875_g1145.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd ring around a few independent garages for a price to see if it's actually cheaper to have them supply and fit the part over the price including "goodwill" from the Seat dealer otherwise the goodwill could just be added on to be taken off through creative labour time.

This is the valve which is buried at the back of the engine block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

listermint wrote: »

No. Completely different part AFAIK that part number if for a petrol despite what the ad says.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This was failing in the larger tdi engines and alot of goodwill was being offered.
    Parents paid 80 euro to have it done on a passat that was about one year out of warranty.
    To be fair, offering 50 prevent on an 11 car sounds OK but if the part can be sourced for 200 or so, I'd imagine an independent garage will be cheaper.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No. Completely different part AFAIK that part number if for a petrol despite what the ad says.

Should read all posts before replying ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

I had the same problem with a Skoda.

From my experience VW Ireland have a goodwill policy (unofficial?) for this part if you have a main dealer service history and usually cover the cost of the parts (50% of the total cost in my case) and it is up to the garage how much good will they show for the labour costs.

Of course no one will tell you this and I only discovered it when I Googled the problem.

If the garage you are dealing with is the one you bought the car from and had it serviced with, then I would expect a lot of good will to be shown...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

listermint wrote: »
    Or the reason they gave 50%off is because it doesn't cost 1000 to replace it.

I still think independent as 500 sounds expensive for what is just replacing a part thats relatively easy to get to by stripping away a few things

The reason they are offering 50% goodwill is because that's the offer from the manufacturer. There is no ambiguity about it.

"500 sounds expensive for what is just replacing a part thats relatively easy to get to by stripping away a few things"

That's laughable tbh. €100k to build a house is very expensive... sure it's only digging a hole and laying a few blocks then popping a roof on.

A main dealer won't be fitting parts they found on eBay or Google, they'll be fitting items provided from the manufacturer.

It's been thrashed out many times on here, a main dealer is a good route to go, if you fit a spurious or used part, chances are, it will go again.

You'd struggle to find an independent who will supply and fit a genuine part for €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

The reason they are offering 50% goodwill is because that's the offer from the manufacturer. There is no ambiguity about it.

"500 sounds expensive for what is just replacing a part thats relatively easy to get to by stripping away a few things"

That's laughable tbh. €100k to build a house is very expensive... sure it's only digging a hole and laying a few blocks then popping a roof on.

A main dealer won't be fitting parts they found on eBay or Google, they'll be fitting items provided from the manufacturer.

It's been thrashed out many times on here, a main dealer is a good route to go, if you fit a spurious or used part, chances are, it will go again.

You'd struggle to find an independent who will supply and fit a genuine part for €500.

would disagree... buying a spurious part does not mean it going to fail again..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

robtri wrote: »
    would disagree... buying a spurious part does not mean it going to fail again..

Not with any spurious part, no. But with a VAG EGR i'd much rather the genuine article.

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment.

I reckon with a genuine part an indie will probably come in around the same price as main dealer with goodwill.

Advertisement