Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus is 220d, 2008 model

Options
  • 16-01-2017 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Anything to look out for with these? The Mrs. is mad to get one so we're currently on the hunt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Buy something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Apparently the gearbag in them is made from
    Swiss cheese. I was told to avoid them at all costs when I considered one a few years back and that was from a friend of mine who worked in Lexus/Toyota parts Dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Prone to head gasket trouble too aren't they?

Prone to head gasket trouble too aren't they?

Indeed, and EGR, And suicides from the lack of torque and bizarre gearing, and crazy loud idle when the aircon is on.

(Wasn't saying that 10 years ago mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buy the IS250 instead. If your doing diesel mileage then look elsewhere.

• Advertisement

The 250 is like a different car with the added Lexusness of an auto box.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I heard people are jealous of the Mark Levinson sound system.

He does make good radios to be fair to him. Handy lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 250 is like a different car with the added Lexusness of an auto box.

That's because proper plan was to offer only is250, but whole shift to diesels back then made a big gap in lexus line up, so they rushed in is220d, just to have diesel. In the end it is just completely unbalanced car, with horrible gearbox ratios, engine that is crap.

Lexus is250 is the one to go for and appearantly they are very decent on mpg, considering auto and 2.5 petrol engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

IS250 is capable of averaging 5-5.5 lt /100 km if you are patient enough to cruise at 80 km/h. In short distance stop/start traffic, it can go up to 15lt/100 km though.

Not different than my current 1.6 petrol focus auto.

Highly recommend high spec IS250 auto.

• Advertisement

That's because proper plan was to offer only is250, but whole shift to diesels back then made a big gap in lexus line up, so they rushed in is220d, just to have diesel. In the end it is just completely unbalanced car, with horrible gearbox ratios, engine that is crap.

Lexus is250 is the one to go for and appearantly they are very decent on mpg, considering auto and 2.5 petrol engine.

The shift to diesel in that segment happened long before 2005, the main rival was the 320d. It was just halfarsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Indeed, and EGR, And suicides from the lack of torque and bizarre gearing, and crazy loud idle when the aircon is on.

(Wasn't saying that 10 years ago mind)

I've a 07 one. Avoid like the plague. I've only 100k miles up and I've had egr problems twice and the head gasket go too.

Dunno the proper term but it isn't a car for country roads with the gears. You need to constantly change. Really only fit for motorways imho.
    Very heavy on juice too. 8.5l -100km.

Looks cool tho!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

07 is250 be the only job OP
    The saving on the initial purchase price would pay for a few years of tax. Nailer of an engine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Thanks for the tips, I may try to steer her clear of one then!

Advertisement