Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oslo temp ban on diesels

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

They are really pushing the agenda of ending diesel in Norway. Can't be a bad thing really, I think they are looking to go full renewable/electric road transport in the next decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Only the US, China and Japan have more electric cars than Norway (population just 5 million)

Fair play to the Norwegians for punching well above their weight in the fight against the cancer causing diesels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

If they did that here Dublin would be practically empty. I doubt our spineless politicians would chance it here.
    I'm not a big fan of them, but perhaps the Greens would be the only ones who would try it.

I'm all for it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

A hard rain's a gonna fall eventually for diesel here. May take 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭eggy81

Dord wrote: »
    If they did that here Dublin would be practically empty. I doubt our spineless politicians would chance it here.
    I'm not a big fan of them, but perhaps the Greens would be the only ones who would try it.

I'm all for it tbh.

And who'd foot the bill for all the cars that would immediately become worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'm all for it tbh.

The greens are the reason there are so many diesels on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'm all for it tbh.

The comhaontas glasraí love the derv. They'd never ban it.

Vrt incentive for diesel? Yup.
    Tax incentive for diesel? Yup.
    Why? Because they are low emissions. As long as your pseudo science defines emissions as CO2 anyway like.

Now, fair enough, they didn't know any better (let's not do any research or use common sense like!) and the big bad car manufacturers told them diesels were fierce green and getting greener.

You'd still think a party that spent so long patting themselves on the back for lowering CO2 would follow through and levy fuels in proportion to the amount of CO2 produced when you burn one litre yeah?

Nope, diesel (more CO2 per litre) incentivised again. Those dirty rotten polluting priuses punished by 10cent every litre every tank. All the 530ds incentivised to the max.

There's newspaper articles quoting the green boys and they pleased as punch with themselves over the uptake of these diesels post 2008.

Greens LOVE the diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

All true, doesn't mean they can't flip around and just screw over everyone that bought into their nonsense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

All true, doesn't mean they can't flip around and just screw over everyone that bought into their nonsense though.

Tbh it's not buying into nonsense it's taking advantage of the situation.

Diesel is cheap
    Insurers have had an aversion for u30's driving anything over a 1.6 economy designed petrol
    Tax was the huge incentive
    And then you had the fact that every dealership in Ireland was stocked to the hilt with diesels and alot were more or less the same price as their petrol equivalent.

It's not that all people are ignorant of the dangers of diesel it's just many were strongly coerced into buying diesel. And tbf if they did so in an educated manner by avoiding dpf/egr failure prone vehicles then chances are they saved alot of cash by going down this route.

The change is gradually coming but it'll be a change to hybrid or ev the chances of just petrol being incentivised are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

I'm all for it tbh.
    the greens got us in to this diesel mess in the first place,low co2 but high cancer causing emissions,

• Advertisement

eggy81 wrote: »
    And who'd foot the bill for all the cars that would immediately become worthless.

Whoever owns them :)

Advertisement