Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What now

Options
  • 16-01-2017 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

So I have a 07 1.4 astra and the head gasket is gone in it . So along with a few more bit's wrong with it and an nct looming in the next few months I think the expense of repairing it will be too much so my question is what do I buy now

Don't care what size engine or anything and will probably be able to squeeze 1500 of a budget out of the credit union any suggestions would be welcome I don't mind once it runs and has at least a year on the nct

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Head gasket should be no more than €600 depending on the damage done.

Have it serviced and check all bulbs tyres etc. Once the suspension is good it should go through an NCT.

Much cheaper option than buying something for €2k that you don't know the history of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Had a tip on it before Christmas aswell that's costing 240 so add in a service and tyres to that it comes up to about a grand anyway. So I don't know. Needs a new engine anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Buy a bike and use the left over amount for taxis / buses (plus save on tax + insurance).

€1500 would barely buy a new set of tyres these days...

Living in the country side and having cystic fibrosis sort of rules out that possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Buy a bike and use the left over amount for taxis / buses (plus save on tax + insurance).

Ye driving a yoke with nitrogen filled tyres or something? :pac:

Plenty stuff over in bangernomics that would go for about 1/5th of the ops budget, if so inclined.

However a blown hg doesn't mean new engine - blown hg is often 'blown' out of proportion tbh, depending on recent spends & current condition of the motor I would be inclined to stay with the devil I know...

• Advertisement

Stupid suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Living in the country side and having cystic fibrosis sort of rules out that possibility

You should qualify for some purchasing a car VAT free, or is that only for adapted vehicles?

I bought the astra a year and a half ago and I've had nothing but trouble with it gearbox, radiator, the tip I had before Christmas and now this ..it feels jinxed to me and the worst part is I've probably looked after it 100 times better than any other car I had my previous car a 99 Almer a I had for 4 years and was brilliant and I'll admit I dogged the **** out of it . Had a corolla before that and enter any massive trouble either.

woejus wrote: »
    You should qualify for some purchasing a car VAT free, or is that only for adapted vehicles?

I would say adapted don't need an adapted car I still work and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Normally I would be on the fix bandwagon but the 1.4 astra is the greatest piece of dirt that ever rolled out of the gm factory....

• Advertisement

I'm at the stage where if I had the money I would crush it myself for all the financial stress it has caused me ill never touch an astra again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Well, in that case - if you don't care about style or substance, and want something that will take you where you need to go every time you need to go there:

(Check your insurance first) and then go buy some aul japper from the 90s. Almera/primera/corolla/starlet/avensis/civic/accord/lancer/colt etc etc.most of these will remain trouble free, even if poorly maintained tbh. No frills, no worries.

Theres plenty out there going dirt cheap with test etc but again, check insurance first...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd look at a 2002 to 2007 Toyota Corolla, no frills low running cost a to b transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

I would say adapted don't need an adapted car I still work and stuff

Just because you don't *need* it, doesn't mean you couldn't take advantage of the rules? You do have something fairly serious in CF, I'm sure there's breaks and grants for situations like yours.

I will look into it i don't think there is though I have the free travel pass and disability allowance already so I will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭corks finest

Tough going boy,get a decent polo,fabia for money you're talking about,or better still an older corolla,goid luck with whatever you get boy.

Advertisement