Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Santa Fe 2.2 diesel engine

Options
  • 15-01-2017 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

My Santa fe 2008 manual 2 wheel drive engine lost power, red light of death and started knocking noise in engine.

What's my options?? Priced rebuild up the north at 1500 sterling. In the south it's around 3500...

Car was perfect until now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get codes read using a diagnostic machine and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Read codes lol, no code reader will tell you a sump gauze is blocked.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Read codes lol, no code reader will tell you a sump gauze is blocked.
    Neither will guessing over the internet.

OP I agree with biko, get a diagnosis and find out whats going on, what has caused the light to come on (a lot of the time the engine management light will cause the lack of power as it is in limp home mode). Go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

cournioni wrote: »
    Neither will guessing over the internet.

OP I agree with biko, get a diagnosis and find out whats going on, what has caused the light to come on (a lot of the time the engine management light will cause the lack of power as it is in limp home mode). Go from there.

I'm assuming that the "red light of death" is the oil pressure light and the subsequent knocking means the engine is FUBAR'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We can guess and guess but as long as we don't know for sure what light OP refers to...
    When in doubt, go to a IRL mechanic.

This is not a DIY effort so moving to main forum for more input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Special circumstances is right its a common problem in that model santa fe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Stravos, martinr5232... wrong oil or leaving changes too long or is it prone to sludging no matter what you do do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Stravos, martinr5232... wrong oil or leaving changes too long or is it prone to sludging no matter what you do do ye think?

I think injector seals have a lot to do with it its hard carbon build up its not sludge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cartrader

Have had several Santa Fe's with this problem. Best man is Peter Caldwell 5km from Celbridge. All he does is fix Santa Fe and Kia sorrento. He does plenty of engine rebuilds for the main Hyundai dealers. I can recommend him highly as I have had no come backs from his repairs. PM me if you want more details or his number.

Advertisement