Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

International Licence + Irish Provisional Licence, are they allowed to drive alone ?

Options
  • 15-01-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

One of my roommates has an international license based on his non-eu license(Brazil), wondering if he is allowed to drive unaccompanied in Ireland for the first 12 months, while he gets his Irish full license. He just passed his provisional last week.

I assumed it was No, but he swears that his friends told him it will be grand. The regulation seems to be vague as well, as it mentions that you are only allowed to do so if you are on a temporary visit lasting up to 12 months. But he has a job and stuff here, so would that still qualify him (he has been in Ireland for about 8 months and also only recently got his International license when he was on holidays during the Christmas period)

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Must be accompanied at all times...
    Car drivers with a learner permit must be accompanied at all times by, and be under the supervision of, someone with a current driving licence for a car. Also, the person accompanying you must have had the driving licence for at least 2 years.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_cars_and_work_vehicles.html

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

When my OH was on his provisional, also having an international license he was pulled for speeding. Just got the fine and 3 points.

You can drive for a year on your international without applying for an Irish license

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Must be accompanied at all times...

Yes, but in OP's story his friend on top of having Irish driving permit, also has a foreign full licence, which should allow him to drive unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

CiniO wrote: »
    Yes, but in OP's story his friend on top of having Irish driving permit, also has a foreign full licence, which should allow him to drive unaccompanied.

If they had not obtained the Irish provisional licence yes they could have driven for a year on their original licence but because they now have an Irish provisional they must go by the rules of an Irish provisional licence.
    Holders of driving licences from other countries

If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example, if you are from the United States), and you hold a national driving licence and an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months you can apply for an Irish driving licence but you will need to go through the full driver licensing procedure. You must first complete a driver theory test, apply for a learner driving permit and complete your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you will be issued with an Irish driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thoughts ?
    He should be able to drive using his full Bazilian licence I would have thought.
    But as he is now considered a learner, probalaly not

Just a FYI - licence is a noun, license is a verb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The real answer? Whichever he is insured under.

What I'd do is carry both, if I got pulled over of use which ever one made it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

CiniO wrote: »
    has a foreign full licence, which should allow him to drive unaccompanied.
    biko wrote: »
    He should be able to drive using his full Bazilian licence I would have thought.

You can't legally drive in Ireland on a Brazillian licence without an IDP to accompany it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

GM228 wrote: »
    You can't legally drive in Ireland on a Brazillian licence without an IDP to accompany it.

Brazilian licence is also not recognized here for a straight swap, so you need to start at the bottom of the ladder again. I had a colleague in work with the same issue, they were here for about 18 months on the Brazilian licence but it became very hard to get insured. Had to bite the bullet and start the process here.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Thanks for the info folks. He still believes he is allowed to drive alone during the first year, ahh well what can I do ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

Thanks for the info folks. He still believes he is allowed to drive alone during the first year, ahh well what can I do ��

People will always believe whatever most beneficial to them. Facts just get in the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement