Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2010 Ford Focus TDCI, how long will it go?

Options
  • 15-01-2017 7:07pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right to the end of the piece of string? Had mine or about 3 years, has 135k miles on it now. In two minds about trading it in. Car is running fine, but has a few bills coming up. 4 tyres, service, egr is intermittently sticking.

Had an avensis before, that i got to 250k miles. Don't feel this one will meet the same numbers.

Drive on, and save money, or trade in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

MarkR wrote: »
    Right to the end of the piece of string? Had mine or about 3 years, has 135k miles on it now. In two minds about trading it in. Car is running fine, but has a few bills coming up. 4 tyres, service, egr is intermittently sticking.

Had an avensis before, that i got to 250k miles. Don't feel this one will meet the same numbers.

It all depends how you look after it.

The avensis could do a hell of a lot more.

Focus could do it but like anything will need parts and possible turbo change depending on oil services and correct type used.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've been servicing it every 10k miles, with the correct oil. I suppose best thing would be to work out cost to change, vs likely costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Dunno about the 2010 model specifically but I've had a few focus diesels and found them great for longevity - 2003 1.8 TDCi which went what seemed like forever (400k kms or something like that - 250k+ miles). More recently I had a 2006 model 1.6 TDCi, and I changed it at 300k kms. My experience with the 2003 model was that beyond probably 300k kms the maintenance bills started to mount up pretty significantly so while I could have kept going with the 2006 model, I quit while I was still ahead.

With 135k on your own you still should have lots of kms to go, but best to do the sums and think trade ins/selling/deprecation too. Once the kms go that high there is no value left in the vehicle if you go to a dealer with it (mind you - in both cases i didn't expect much value to be left when trading in with the kind of mileage that I had put onto mine). Its probably a matter of weighing up the cost of change versus the cost of keeping.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Dunno about the 2010 model specifically but I've had a few focus diesels and found them great for longevity - 2003 1.8 TDCi which went what seemed like forever (400k kms or something like that - 250k+ miles). More recently I had a 2006 model 1.6 TDCi, and I changed it at 300k kms. My experience with the 2003 model was that beyond probably 300k kms the maintenance bills started to mount up pretty significantly so while I could have kept going with the 2006 model, I quit while I was still ahead.

With 135k on your own you still should have lots of kms to go, but best to do the sums and think trade ins/selling/deprecation too. Once the kms go that high there is no value left in the vehicle if you go to a dealer with it (mind you - in both cases i didn't expect much value to be left when trading in with the kind of mileage that I had put onto mine). Its probably a matter of weighing up the cost of change versus the cost of keeping.

That's pretty much where I'm at. Trying to find the "best" time to change.

What's your annual mileage?

• Advertisement

Just over 13k per year. I'd actually considered petrol, but think i'm (just) in the diesel range.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

I have the 1.6 108bhp model. Just about to hit 199000 miles. I had major engine failure at 170ish miles, the chain connecting the two camshafts stretched and broke the guide. Was an expensive fix. I'd be wary of that OP.

Plus the EGR is a right pain. Been replaced twice.

Vamp369 wrote: »
    I have the 1.6 108bhp model. Just about to hit 199000 miles. I had major engine failure at 170ish miles, the chain connecting the two camshafts stretched and broke the guide. Was an expensive fix. I'd be wary of that OP.

Plus the EGR is a right pain. Been replaced twice.

Same model as mine. You're not inspring confidence. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

Same model as mine. You're not inspring confidence. :D

It doesn't help I drive the c**p out of it for work.

I was lucky when the chain went. Cost 1500e all in to fix but I was told at the time, 9 times out of 10, most valves and rockers would have been trashed, mine wasn't

And atm I have oveboost coming up on the OBD reader so I think my turbo may be on way out.

I put 110000miles on it over two years at a cost of about 7,800e in maintenance.

Just over 13k per year. I'd actually considered petrol, but think i'm (just) in the diesel range.

Well next 3 years will only add 40k miles to it, changing doesn't seem to make sense really.

It'd take you another 6 to get it to where your Avensis was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

To give you a bit of confidence! My friend bought one new in 2009. He travels all over the country as he's a store manager and he puts up some serious mileage on his car.

Currently there is over 420,000km on this beauty and the car is going strong.
    He never ever had a DPF problem, egr, etc. Just a regular maintenance wear and tear serviceable items..

I always reckoned the commuting he does saves him from big bills as I thought the engines in them are not that great, especially for short journeys.

Xpro wrote: »
    To give you a bit of confidence! My friend bought one new in 2009. He travels all over the country as he's a store manager and he puts up some serious mileage on his car.

Currently there is over 420,000km on this beauty and the car is going strong.
    He never ever had a DPF problem, egr, etc. Just a regular maintenance wear and tear serviceable items..

I always reckoned the commuting he does saves him from big bills as I thought the engines in them are not that great, especially for short journeys.

That's what a diesel likes long journey but 13k kilometers isn't enough for one.

That's what a diesel likes long journey but 13k kilometers isn't enough for one.

Yeah, I'm 13k miles though, so I think I'm doing all right. I do about 30 minutes of dual carriageway / motorway travel twice a day, so it should be heating up (I hope).

Yeah, I'm 13k miles though, so I think I'm doing all right. I do about 30 minutes of dual carriageway / motorway travel twice a day, so it should be heating up (I hope).

OK that's not too bad so.
    Just keep on top of oil changes and try do so around 8k. The turbo on them don't like any abuse.

Advertisement