Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Odometer readings

Options
  • 14-01-2017 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi all
    There is something eating me for the last few weeks.
    I said to myself this is the place to come.
    My story i purchased a van a few weeks back, 2013 van on donedeal
    Gave the mileage, very clean van etc. When i saw the Reg something just entered my head that i have seen this Reg before, like this van was advertised earlier this year with treble the mileage on it. Then again not sure.

Before i bought it went to motorcheck to see.
    In the report it said we have no available odometer readings for this vehicle.
    The most important thing i wanted to find out. What is going on today with the clocking of vehicles. I was mad. I thought all this information would be available with the report

Motorcheck did send me an email a few days after i buying the van saying they got a reading from ford going back to Sept 14 and that was a high reading. I know the work the van was doing. Now two years down the road i bought it and it is only showing 30kms more from the reading motorcheck gave me for 2014.

I have not got the CVRT yet, expecting it Monday.
    What i am looking for is the odometer readings when the van went for the test in 14 and 15.
    Would those readings be on the CVRT cert.
    Would love to get to the bottom of this.
    Maybe the van for the last two years did vert little driving.
    I doubt it.

Love to hear back from people here, that is in the know.
    I have followed a post here before with regards a vehicle for sale and it being clocked.
    A bit of investigation by board members here found that the other cars the guy had advertised were all clocked. The guy disappeared of boards fairly quick.

Hope to hear back
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Odds don't seem to stack in your favour. Bit late bolting the door when the horse is gone, but buying a 3 or 4 year old van without any sort of mileage documented is madness. Any Service History with it? One would assume for the first few years it was serviced at the Ford dealer. If not, there should be still some evidence. There's plenty of clean, genuine vans for sale, shouldn't buy if you have a hunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Thanks
    A bit too late i know.
    But all the talk about motorcheck being able to tell you the history.
    Yet the most important thing mileage.
    They tell you to go to other sources for information.
    Makes no sense.
    I know the color of the van

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Your post is very confusing. Do you definitely know it has been clocked or are you suspicious because it only seems to have 30k km more on the clock since September 2019?

No i know nothing for certain.
    How is it confusing.
    I did get a reading for 2014 here it is 141,669.
    Now read my post again

No i know nothing for certain.
    How is it confusing.
    I did get a reading for 2014 here it is 141,669.
    Now read my post again

And the mileage now is? You said you knew the work being done, how so and what was it?

• Advertisement

And the mileage now is? You said you knew the work being done, how so and what was it?

I cant say too much because i am only putting 2 and 2 together, i might be wrong. Like to put that mileage up in over a year and then the next 2 years only to put up 30k so you know now what was on the clock when i bought it.

The van i saw earlier this year on donedeal had well over 300,000 km on the clock. The Reg of the van keeps ringing a bell with me.

Why do motorcheck not have access to the odometer readings.

I cant say too much because i am only putting 2 and 2 together, i might be wrong. Like to put that mileage up in over a year and then the next 2 years only to put up 30k so you know now what was on the clock when i bought it.

The van i saw earlier this year on donedeal had well over 300,000 km on the clock. The Reg of the van keeps ringing a bell with me.

Why do motorcheck not have access to the odometer readings.

Because odometer readings have to be inputted somewhere for them to be checked and that doesn't really happen in this country.

Because odometer readings have to be inputted somewhere for them to be checked and that doesn't really happen in this country.

Not easy to know so.
    No service record with it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Not easy to know so.
    No service record with it either

You can have it plugged in to a diagnostics machine and it will have the correct mileage saved in the ECU.

pablo128 wrote: »
    You can have it plugged in to a diagnostics machine and it will have the correct mileage saved in the ECU.

Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

You learn something new every day. I didn't know that.

Advertisement