Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

7k. What would you buy.

Options
  • 13-01-2017 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Looking for a bit of direction my dad wants to buy a car in his 60`s something low maintenance and not low to the ground. A saloon preferably he still works but wouldn't do massive milage. A reliable car would be the main thing. Any ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Honda Jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Hi all

Looking for a bit of direction my dad wants to buy a car in his 60`s something low maintenance and not low to the ground. A saloon preferably he still works but wouldn't do massive milage. A reliable car would be the main thing. Any ideas please?

Honda Accord?

http://m.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1625674&r=s.php%3Fm%3D32%26o%3D278%26d%3D6000%26e%3D8000%26f%3D1%26g%3D0

They are a bit low, relatively speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Toyota auris 1.33 petrol manual or maybe a hybrid one if auto was a requirement (prob out of budget)
    Prius could be an option too.

Saloons tend to be quite low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

I've been told that honda are one of the best cars in the world. In terms of a saloon, the accord is easily withing that budget. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-i-cdti-full-leather-interior/14392717 This one for 6k.

Or toyotas are just as good:
    Avensis - https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyta-avensis-1-6-stratus-nct-amptax/14020392
    Corolla - https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/13843204

Does he have an idea on what engine size he's looking for or if he wants a petrol/diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

colm_mcm wrote: »

Honda jazz is not low. Has a good upright driving position and good visibility.

Prius is a bit low as well and the seats are a bit small too. No lumbar support.

Diesel Accord could be a time bomb mechanically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

That thought crossed my mind but OP did mention a saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

He had a Honda for years. But getting on and found it too low hard to get out so whilst he loved it and never gave trouble its just too low for him.

• Advertisement

sadie1502 wrote: »
    He had a Honda for years. But getting on and found it too low hard to get out so whilst he loved it and never gave trouble its just too low for him.

What Honda does he have

I don't think he does the mileage to warrant a diesel he would do a few trips a year galway donegal louth meath but in general wouldn't need a diesel I wouldnt think.

What Honda does he have

He had an accord. He also had a focus and loved it. Engine 1.6 to 2.0. Would a focus be a good option ?

listermint wrote: »
    Honda jazz is not low. Has a good upright driving position and good visibility.

That's why I suggested it..

My reply was about the Accord

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A Honda civic fd1 saloon might suit best. The 1.8s are very reliable and pokey enough at 140bhp, you'd get a very good one within budget.

Couldn't comment on lowness but I'm sure the seat could be setup to suit the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How about a mark iii Seat Toledo. The one based on the Altea. Its a saloon and its a little bit higher and if you can find one it should be in budget or a Suzuki SX4 saloon again its also a little bit higher than the average saloon been based on the SX4 and it should also be in budget.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Toledo you're thinking of is a hatchback

First one (early 90s) was a Jetta based hatchback (same idea as an Octavia, long hatchback)
    Next one was mk4 golf based saloon
    Next one was an altea with a slightly different rear end but still a hatchback
    Next one (current model) is a hatchback based in skoda rapid/polo

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My father is in his 60s and has a Toyota Auris for the last . The first generation is very tall, you feel like you are sitting on it rather than in it. He hates having to get into and out of my 5 Series as it's much lower down than the Auris.

You should be able to pick up a 2009 or 2010 1.33 litre petrol for 7k these days. For example:

media?xwm=y&id=1f111648-caf4-4584-a52f-787c70511f7a&width=400&height=300

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Auris/2009-1/5610919948764369945/

Prefacelifted 1.33 litre models are UK cars as the 1.33 engine was not sold here until the facelift arrived in 2010. The 1.33 litre was cheaper to tax and more powerful than the older 1.4 litre engine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Toledo you're thinking of is a hatchback

First one (early 90s) was a Jetta based hatchback (same idea as an Octavia, long hatchback)
    Next one was mk4 golf based saloon
    Next one was an altea with a slightly different rear end but still a hatchback
    Next one (current model) is a hatchback based in skoda rapid/polo

Awe your right too but it sticks out a bit to make it look more like a saloon the same as the Octavia does.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe your right too but it sticks out a bit to make it look more like a saloon the same as the Octavia does.

Huh?
    IMG_0013.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement