Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis timing belt

Options
  • 13-01-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi.. I have 2011 d4d avensis which has chain for timing belt. I have been told you don't need to change this like an ordinary timing belt. But I am wondering do I need to change anything else like water pump and at what milage. There is almost 100k km on it now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah AFAIK from 2007 onwards all Avensis are chains (I may be wrong about this tho, someone else might know better).
    You don't have to change this at all unless it starts making noise to indicate there is some problem.

Water pumps typically lasts a long time, like 100K or so
    If you are losing coolant and see seeping from around pump area it may be time to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Sligoboy21 wrote: »
    Hi.. I have 2011 d4d avensis which has chain for timing belt. I have been told you don't need to change this like an ordinary timing belt. But I am wondering do I need to change anything else like water pump and at what milage. There is almost 100k km on it now.

From late 06 all d4d's went to chains.

The water pump should last life of the chain which so far is proving to be a very long time as should be the case with all timing chains.

Just keep the oil changed at proper intervals and the coolant as well and drive her on.

100k km is nothing to these.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligoboy21

Thanks. I get it serviced every 10k miles so should be grand. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ktow14

Timing chain should not give you any bother once serviced regularly with correct/good oil.

Toyota water pumps should never need to be changed is what I was told from a Toyota service manager working for Toyota 30 odd years but as someone said above if water seems to be leaking or seeping down under the front drivers side of the car then this would be the first guess,water pump.

The most common problem with these engines is the oil pickup in the sump can get clogged and will stop oil being picked up by the oil pump and moved around the engine. Personally if I had d4d Toyota from 2004 onwards up to 2012 every 3rd service I'd have the oil pickup taken off and cleaned just to be safer then sorry.

Also common in Hyundai crdi engines.

Advertisement