Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child refugees -majority to be males aged 17???

• 13-01-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Read that Children's minister Katherine Zappone has announced that majority of child refugees to be taken in by Ireland will be "males aged between 16/17. A couple of points on this :

1. Shouldn't we be prioritising the youngest & therefore most vulnerable of children ? Have seen reports of children as young as 12 being unaccompanied .

2. Why will majority be male? It's been well documented that unaccompanied girls faces huge risks of sexual assault & human trafficking . Again , shouldn't this young group be prioritised as much as almost adult males

3. It's well known that there are people in their 20's & well into their 30's claiming to be "17 year old children" . Why are we intentionally rewarding this decit by prioritising this age group..these people are stopping a genuine child from getting a proper place in a host country . Of course we need to include some 17 year olds but why prioritise this age ...

Makes me think it's all down to money & a box ticking exercise . The cost of "caring for a 17 year old child " is going to be far far less cheaper in the medium to long term for the government . Thus the government can get a "pat on the back " for doing their bit while keeping costs as low as possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Heard someone on the radio claiming that they don't know what age some of them are and they could well be adults.

I've no problem with them coming here, children and adults. I just really hope we the Irish people and the Irish government don't let them down. I hope we can give them enough help to get them on their feet, allow them to lead normal lives here and eventually contribute to society.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gatling wrote: »
    Apparently they will have to prevent them leaving for other jurisdictions which likely means they want to go to England in reality and not here

Quick train/bus ride to Belast and they are away
    Rackstar wrote: »
    Heard someone on the radio claiming that they don't know what age some of them are and they could well be adults.

I've no problem with them coming here, children and adults. I just really hope we the Irish people and the Irish government don't let them down. I hope we can give them enough help to get them on their feet, allow them to lead normal lives here and eventually contribute to society.

I used live in Portlaoise and a Nigerian guy became mayor there after coming to Ireland as an asylum seeker.

Great example of integrating into the community

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

At 16/17 years of age your at the cusp of adulthood. These young men will need training for employment purposes. Or if they were to be enrolled in school what class would they go into. My nephew is just about to turn 17 and he is in TY.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

taylor3 wrote: »
    At 16/17 years of age your at the cusp of adulthood. These young men will need training for employment purposes. Or if they were to be enrolled in school what class would they go into. My nephew is just about to turn 17 and he is in TY.

I sat the leaving cert when I was 17

Was 16 in fifth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stheno wrote: »

I used live in Portlaoise and a Nigerian guy became mayor there after coming to Ireland as an asylum seeker.

That's it ,

Was that the guy who claimed if he returned home he would be killed or something but yet after he got the mayor's position he went home to a hero's welcome ,

Maybe the idea of 16 and 17 year olds is that's it's highly likely they will only have to supported for 12 -18 months and then they will disappear to the UK at the first chance,
    The cost is rediculous considering it will have to come from elsewhere department wise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭Old Bill

The whole "refugee" thing is a scam. These people are economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Old Bill wrote: »

So are all those stories from Syria fake news?

Lux23 wrote: »

Genuine refugees in fear of their lives would not have to travel all the way to Ireland from the middle east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Genuine refugees in fear of their lives would not have to travel all the way to Ireland from the middle east.
    Where do you suggest they go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Gatling wrote: »
    Apparently they will have to prevent them leaving for other jurisdictions which likely means they want to go to England in reality and not here

No, you have to keep them in the Irish Republic as that is part of the deal is it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Don't be posting the truth on here!
    But yeah, they aren't refugees, they are economic migrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

And he was quite atrocious at the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No, you have to keep them in the Irish Republic as that is part of the deal is it not?

Once they turn 18 their free to go they can't be legally forced to stay ,
    It they are genuine asylum seekers it might not happen if they are economic migrants they will likely flee to the UK at the first chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

baz2009 wrote: »
    And he was quite atrocious at the job.

That's normally the net result of affirmative action.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I hope they won't be doing a runner as the government are spending €275k in year one on each of them.

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Where do you suggest they go?

When our own people fled Northern Ireland during the troubles they didnt seek "asylum" in Nigeria or Pakistan.

Yet we have do gooders telling us that its our "obligation" to take in "Refugees" from the 3rd world.

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

When our own people fled Northern Ireland during the troubles they didnt seek "asylum" in Nigeria or Pakistan.

The United States was very popular - very comparable distances, if that's the important measure.

Same with our famine experience - distance, or the high risk of the transit didn't dissuade people. If you're going to flee a bad situation, it makes sense to flee not to the nearest safe place, but to flee to the best place you can get to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

To hell or to Connacht....

The only reason they were sent to where they're going to is due to little resistance.

If they were all sent to Portlaoise, Shannon or Askeaton there'd be a lot of people saying "hold on now a minute'

So the fat cats decided to send them to a quite little Hamlet in Connacht, where you have a few old dears and less hostile or headstrong people.

This country really cracks me up lol

• Advertisement

Old Bill wrote:
    Yet we have do gooders telling us that its our "obligation" to take in "Refugees" from the 3rd world.

Those do gooders are the worst type of people I ever came across.
    I kinda hung out with those hippy type's myself before and they're cunning, manipulative, untrustworthy and they hate normal people.
    Rotten selfish people a lot of them are.
    Attention seekers.

They'll do anything to stir sht.

Sorry for going off topic here.

You'll see them protesting near Shannon airport, the locals hate them and Im not surprised if the Shannon people will run them out sometime.

Well if they're Sunni, Saudi Arabia,if they're Shia Iraq or Iran
    Yazadis or Christians send them to a predominantly Christian country they'll settle in well.

You'll find the Yazadis Shia and Christian's will adapt quite well here .....

As for the Sunnis they find it hard to adapt for some strange reason I don't know why,but I'm sure it's well documented online.

Any Shia or Sufi Muslims I know seem to adapt well to Western civilization too, peace loving people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Lux23 wrote: »

So all the refugees are Syrian? Are we still going with that fantasy?

Genuine Syrian refugees, I have no problem with, provided the exercise is properly assessed, costed, and implemented.

I will freely admit to being utterly bewildered at the thought of one refugee costing €275,000 per year. Nor can I accept that extra funding is not being made available, thus stretching scarce resources even further.

Economic migrants from Calais are a different matter.

The truth is, many of them have been in Calais for a number of years, and weren't refugees to begin with.
    Having viewed several videos of the antics of some of these lads in Calais, I have no hesitation in saying I hope the vetting procedure is very stringent.

I posted this link in Cafe, in a thread that has been closed pending mod review:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...women-children
    Kurdish authorities have shut down a key charity that was supporting women and children from the Yazidi minority who survived Isis sexual slavery.
    The decision to abruptly close Yazda leaves more than 1,200 women and children without material, psychological or social support, charity officials and human rights activists warn.
    It may also complicate a programme to take some of the most vulnerable women and girls to Canada for resettlement, because Yazda was expected to be involved in the screening and identification of those in greatest need of protection, Canadian media reported.

You cannot possibly find anyone more vulnerable. These women and children, having been rescued from sexual slavery, are often turned away by their husbands or fathers.

The Yazidi are hated by their Moslem "neighbours" - hence the closing down of the charity, under the false pretence that their licence had expired.

It seems to me that, as a humanitarian exercise, €11m+ would be better spent on extricating these women and children, rather than on taking in 40 residents from the Calais jungle.

Think about it. Canada has agreed to take them, so, it's a one off cost to extricate 1200 women and children, vs. 40 residents of the jungle, with ongoing costs for support.

So, why would we take 40 from Calais, where they are not in any imminent danger?

There needs to be a total shut down on "refugees" and asylum seekers coming into Ireland until our own people are looked after in terms of health, education and housing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I've no problem with them coming here, children and adults.

I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

There needs to be a total shut down on "refugees" and asylum seekers coming into Ireland until our own people are looked after in terms of health, education and housing etc.

Agreed.

To quote Morrissey,

"Bengali, Bengali in platforms /
    shelve your Western plans /
    because life is hard enough when you belong here".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I hope they won't be doing a runner as the government are spending €275k in year one on each of them.

There are a lot of hands out to get a piece of the pie.

Each illegal squatter from Calais is worth a lot of cash.

Calais is not a refugee site. It is an illegal settlement of squatters of no fixed abode, moving through Schengen zones.

Separately, each refugee (which is only a status granted after official recognition of that person's case) is also worth a lot of cash. The NGOs and other private agencies stand to make a killing on virtually blank chequebooks from the government. Remember: Goldman Sachs get UN contracts to manage these funds. The amount of hands out to get a slice of fat government contracts goes far beyond just food and board.

This is where the tax money is going.

I do.

Anybody who advocates "Refugees" coming into Ireland should have to pay for it through increased personal taxation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You couldn't make it up.

"Our own people"? Who do you define as "our own"?

Ireland should welcome legitimate refugees, so what if it costs money? Are you placing a particular price on each human life?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    "Our own people"? Who do you define as "our own"?

Ireland should welcome legitimate refugees, so what if it costs money? Are you placing a particular price on each human life?

There are no legitimate "refugees" coming into Ireland because they had to travel through so many safe countries in order to get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I do.

That opinion has not been approved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement